Hub - BEARS Can't Afford To Keep Brandon Marshall

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/01/05/hub-arkush-chicago-bears-cant-afford-to-keep-brandon-marshall/ami5l7j/

Depending on whose analysis of Brandon Marshall's contract you believe, Marshall may be a lot less expensive than Jay Cutler to get rid of, and his departure would serve the Bears a great deal better than Cutler's.

Cutler is certainly overpaid and overrated as a quarterback, and he will never be voted Mr. Congeniality by his teammates, but he does have his supporters, and he's not a problem in the locker room.

I'm sure there are Bears players who are envious or jealous or both of Cutler for his contract and A-list lifestyle, but Cutler actually avoids the spotlight rather than hogging it, and there doesn't seem to be any pocket of dissent or dislike among teammates who would just as soon see him gone.

On the other hand, when it comes to Marshall, more than a few of his teammates would gladly kick in for his bus ticket out of town.

How will we know whether the Bears get it right in their hires of a new general manager and head coach?

If one of their first official moves isn't a trade or the release of Marshall, you can assume the Bears are in trouble again.

Marshall is one of the three or four best wide receivers in football, no question about that.

So how come in nine seasons and with five Pro Bowl selections Marshall never has appeared in a playoff game and both the Broncos and Dolphins couldn't wait to get him out of their huddles and locker rooms?

The answer is because he is a nightmare off the field who spends almost all of his time making sure the spotlight is on him and no one else.

One Bears veteran described Marshall's presence as exhausting.

Another player told me he didn't think the locker room problems were as serious as the media has painted them, but he did think coach Marc Trestman and his assistants' biggest mistake in getting control of the room was they were afraid of trying to handle Marshall.

How are you supposed to coach a player or trust a teammate when you never know what he's going to say or do next?

Then there's the question of production.

Marshall will be 31 in March as he heads into his 10th NFL season, but he is a phenomenal athlete who always seems to keep himself in top shape.

Before 2014, his worst season since his rookie campaign with 61 catches for 721 yards, Marshall never had missed more than two games in a seasons, and he had a string of 65 consecutive starts before missing the last three games of the season. A gimpy ankle in at least three or four other games he did play in also limited Marshall.

It is reasonable to assume Marshall is capable of bouncing back physically for another big season or two.

But is all the selfishness and distraction he brings with him worth it for a team desperate for a new start and a breath of fresh air in the locker room?

Overthecap.com is one of several reputable websites that track NFL player contracts, and it describes Marshall's extension he received from general manager Phil Emery in April as a $30 million deal with a $7.5 million signing bonus and the 2014 and 2015 base salaries guaranteed at $7.3 million and $7.5 million.

But it says Marshall's 2015 salary is only guaranteed if he's still on the roster March 13.

Should the Bears release Marshall before March 13, they will owe him nothing, but they will take a $5.6 million cap hit.

Certainly the Bears could try to trade Marshall, but what they'll find is a bare market not at all to their liking.

Knowing what Marshall's reign of narcissism has just done to Trestman and Emery, what NFL exec in his right mind is going to deal for him?

The biggest question facing the next GM and head coach of the Bears won't be how can they afford to cut Marshall, it will be how can they afford to keep him?

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Hub talked about this on Sports Talk Live last Tuesday. He said he'd be stunned if Brandon is on the team next year. He said Cutler has been an impediment, an annoyance. Marshall has been a cancer. Mark Potash said basically what's written above too. He said this could be a litmus test for how good of a coach the BEARS hire. He said if you get a coach and/or GM who wants to get rid of Marshall, you have a coach/GM who really knows people.

I'm not in the locker room, so I have no idea what it's like for Marshall & his teammates. I've always thought that he can be one of your stud players, but he shouldn't be one of your leaders. I think that was the case when #54 was here. When he left, Marshall stepped forward. Problem is, he's not the right guy for it. He has to lead with his play. This talk and this article make it sound like he's a huge problem. I know B & B on The Score hate him too. I don't think he should be doing the tv show during the year. And yeah, the guy has his issues. But all these guys are either wrong or know stuff we don't know. They make it sound like you'll never win with him. It sounds like SEA shipping out Harvin because his talent wasn't worth the bullshit.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Issues that arose related to Brandon Marshall during the 2014 season. Brandon Marshall one year ago was to me a phenomenal player and leader and then the adversity hit.

1). NFL insider flights to New York

2). Long winded asinine press con fence about issues dead and buried some four years ago

3). Exploding on teammates in the locker from

4). Quitting during the Dolphins and Pats games

5). Turning on Jay Cutler

6). Challenging a Lions fan to a fight and then trying to lie and back pedal and say it was going to be a charity anti-bullying campaign event

I feel like there's one or two I missed.

Add in a drop in production and age and a clear lack of leadership when the team faced adversity and I would argue he should be the first one to go. Marshall seemed to be a great leader and a leader by example, but leaders tend to be at their best when things are at their worst. Marshall completely fell apart when the going got bad where as cutler never seemed to lose his cool through it all.

Four months ago I felt the opposite Marshall was a god send to this team, but when he lost it and it seemed to become a cancer in the locker room that's when Marshall lost me.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This may sound crazy ( and I have my flame resistant suit ready), but we do have to worry about paying Marshall soon. He is getting up in age. So, I'd consider packaging him with jay and trying to get some high round draft choices while we can b4 it's to late.

None of this has to do with Marshall's performance.....it's about business and looking into the future. I mean lets face it, these guys will not be with us long-term.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Well if it is about business you don't know anything, a package deal with marsh and cutler, is a pipe dream nobody is going to entertain that idea

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well if it is about business you don't know anything, a package deal with marsh and cutler, is a pipe dream nobody is going to entertain that idea

we were suckers enuff to give 2 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick and a qb ( Orton) for jay. How stupid was rhat. One teams "pipe-dream" is another teams reality

malcore

I'm all for it. Yes, he is a great receiver. Yes, he made the receiving corps for the Bears respectable. But what has he helped this team accomplish, other than team records? Or any other team for that matter?

I am okay with new management gutting this team, and completely rebuilding with new and already available young talent. I'm not of the mind that this team will contend for the Super Bowl next year.

Justin Heras

Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree more, only intelligent people like the majority of Bears fans could figure out that the best way to improve the Bears is to demonize and get rid of our best players...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hub keeps repeating he's a locker room cancer while giving no examples, and the examples given by others are lame. Start winning games and he will be able to throttle back the crazy.

On the field he is a clutch player who is tough as nails.

As a a human being and team mate, Dez Bryant is fifty times worse than Marshall and he is about to get a contract extension making him a Cowboy for life. This is the NFL, people.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hub keeps repeating he's a locker room cancer while giving no examples, and the examples given by others are lame. Start winning games and he will be able to throttle back the crazy.

On the field he is a clutch player who is tough as nails.

As a a human being and team mate, Dez Bryant is fifty times worse than Marshall and he is about to get a contract extension making him a Cowboy for life. This is the NFL, people.

Dez has nowhere near the rap sheet that Marshall has and is a clearly better player at this point. Why would you think he is a worse person than Marshall? Do you know him or something?

Also as to the OP, this is why he was available for cheap and why teams should not over-commit to head case receivers. Phil spent two draft picks and then extended him before he had to do so and to no one's surprise he is acting out.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I heard some analysis that said the Bears expected Briggs and Tillman to fill the leadership void vacated by Kreutz and then Urlacher...
Trestman never got rid of the Lovie brigade or showed them who was boss, for instance when Lovie first got here RW was a leader
and voiced some dissent over something at a practice and Lovie put him in the doghouse and next season he was GON.

Trestman's real issue..besides having a 26 million dollar QB who can't run his offense and allowing the one who can to leave may have been
that he never sent that warning shot over the bow like Lovie did, probably because he's some caring loving man who attempts to be the white
Jesus, that may work in Canada, but the boys will steamroll you down here.

I live in New England, very few players go there with Belichick, and when they do, they GON...regardless of who they are....ask Richard Seymour
about deciding he doesn't like to come to mini camps and how his career worked out after that..he not only got GON, he was GON to the Raiders
graveyard....ask Randy Moss, who after a record setting year starting his chirping, a lot like Brandon Marshall, they try to keep that ego under wraps
but it always comes out in the end....Randy Moss got let go DURING the season...now you see the Pats close to another SuperBowl with their
#1 WR being Brandon LaFell and a star TE...who is onboard w/ the coach 100%. Yeah, Trestman tried to big dick our TE in the preseason about
the Fuller dustup, but not once has he gotten medieval with a large ego. He basically let Briggs punk him in public.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
we were suckers enuff to give 2 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick and a qb ( Orton) for jay. How stupid was rhat. One teams "pipe-dream" is another teams reality

God you're such a fucking dumbass. Hindsight 20/20.

Idiot.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Just because Trestman couldn't figure out how to establish authority over BM doesn't mean it can't be done.
This ^^

Marshall will fall in line with a coach who actually knows what discipline is. Oh and a coach who won't let him go do his stupid weekly show in New York.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marshall seemed to be a great leader and a leader by example, but leaders tend to be at their best when things are at their worst. Marshall completely fell apart when the going got bad where as cutler never seemed to lose his cool through it all.

Four months ago I felt the opposite Marshall was a god send to this team, but when he lost it and it seemed to become a cancer in the locker room that's when Marshall lost me.

QFT

Marshall's leadership bailed when it was needed most. That makes him no leader at all.

Hate to run that kind of talent out of town, but might be the best thing for our young blood at the position.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
also keep in mind Marshall has had 2 procedures on his hip and a day will come when it will become a huge issue, you have to ask how many more years you think you can get out of him at this level and is the championship window open right now...I'm sure Ballard will ascertain that quickly, I think as long as you have Cutler, Marshall and Forte you have to pursue a championship

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
God you're such a fucking dumbass. Hindsight 20/20.

Idiot.

A lot of people complained ( Hub Arkush for one) up front at paying that for a turnover prone guy who hadn't won since high school and had recently been diagnosed with a serious illness. It didn't take deep insight or hindsight to see that the Bears were paying a ransom. The only way that trade wasn't a robbery was if Jay had actually been good or if they had won it all.