Ballard shot down Philly now in addition to Jets. Says HUGE things about Ted Phillips

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Give me Tom Gamble or give me death.... too bad I'm getting the latter.

tumblr_inline_mg560dCLmU1rtp6rn.gif

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Specific examples. Has he interfered with draft picks? Contracts? Hiring assistant coaches? Defensive philosophies? Halftime adjustments?

How far does his reach extend?
Speaking out of my ass, I'd say high picks, and big ticket FAs. Peppers was definitely a hit. I guess. I haven't seen any "concrete" examples, but a Team President like Phillips definitely plays a role in acquiring most if not all of the talent on the roster.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Speaking out of my ass, I'd say high picks, and big ticket FAs. Peppers was definitely a hit. I guess. I haven't seen any "concrete" examples, but a Team President like Phillips definitely plays a role in acquiring most if not all of the talent on the roster.

So Phillips is responsible for selecting the Bears' high draft picks and acquiring big ticket free agents. That makes a ton of sense. I didn't realize he was doing all of that.

I can see how a new GM would want to do those things.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Stopped reading at "speaking out of my ass."

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
That list I actually find encouraging. Yes, there are some misses but some really good ones too.

Agreed. You aren't going to hit on all your picks, but there is enough there at different tiers of talent to improve a team with.

I think now too, Bears fans having been exposed to better players on offense won't be going crazy over a Johnny Knox type like they have in the past, now that they've had a couple seasons of seeing what real NFL WRs look like.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
That list I actually find encouraging. Yes, there are some misses but some really good ones too.

Finding starters and role players later in the draft is an abloute must in order to be successful. This is where Emery Bombed hard.

While Ballard wasn't pulling the trigger on draft day you can clearly see he's able to identity real football players later on.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Phillips is responsible for selecting the Bears' high draft picks and acquiring big ticket free agents. That makes a ton of sense. I didn't realize he was doing all of that.

I can see how a new GM would want to do those things.

You think Phil Emery just woke up and said the Bears are going to sign Cutler? Same with Jared Allen? While Emery rightfully shoulders the blame for those deals, it also falls on the man who
has revitalized both the business and football operations
for ultimately approving of those contracts along with George.

Like I said, neither of us have a perfect representation of how large a role Phillips plays in football decisions. I'm willing to say that he meddles more than we think he does in football decisions.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stopped reading at "speaking out of my ass."

Hey I'm not gonna bullshit you, if I truly knew I'd tell you.

My thing is, we can't poo-poo the role Phillips has played in leading both football and business. He's a very smart businessman, he's made the McCaskeys a lot of money, but he is no more qualified to have football people report to him than you or I.

He also restructured the front office, promoting five key individuals to the level of Vice-President with direct reporting to Phillips.

Neolithic

Liked Posts:
I can only hope this is his response the first time Teddy tries to interject like he did at the press conference. :D :D :D

uncaptioned-ybd5e-50fc5b8a5a5df.jpeg

Newblood

Liked Posts:
You think Phil Emery just woke up and said the Bears are going to sign Cutler? Same with Jared Allen? While Emery rightfully shoulders the blame for those deals, it also falls on the man who for ultimately approving of those contracts along with George.

Like I said, neither of us have a perfect representation of how large a role Phillips plays in football decisions. I'm willing to say that he meddles more than we think he does in football decisions.

For not knowing you sure are giving him a grand role.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hey I'm not gonna bullshit you, if I truly knew I'd tell you.

My thing is, we can't poo-poo the role Phillips has played in leading both football and business. He's a very smart businessman, he's made the McCaskeys a lot of money, but he is no more qualified to have football people report to him than you or I.

On pretty much every team at some point up the food chain you end up with a football person reporting to a non-football person. As long as he's not making picks I'm fine with it. As team president I would expect him to sign off on large free agents deals as well.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For not knowing you sure are giving him a grand role.

What you honestly think Phil Emery had an open checkbook to spend whatever he wanted on players? Same with Angelo?

If Ted Phillips was truly a bean counter only, he wouldn't have had any role whatsoever in hiring a new general manager.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
He hit on Vasher, Harris x2, Tillman, Vasher, Melton, Berrian, Forte, Knox and Briggs.

I'd say Louis (isn't he starting somewhere right now?) and Benson were solid picks too. Manning as well and even Payne started for us.

Bradley and Dusty had their careers derailed by injuries. I really liked Bradley. He showed flashes and looked real good but could never stay healthy.

Webb was a pretty solid pick for a 7th rounder.

That's an impressive draft list. If you look at the core players in the draft of Lovie's tenure here most of them came by way of Ballard's scouting.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You think Phil Emery just woke up and said the Bears are going to sign Cutler? Same with Jared Allen? While Emery rightfully shoulders the blame for those deals, it also falls on the man who for ultimately approving of those contracts along with George.

Has there ever been a single report of Phillips refusing to sign off on a draft pick? Was there ever a story about Phillips refusing to sign off on a free agent? How much conflict was there between Angelo and Phillips? What about Emery and Phillips?

Apparently, he has two responsibilities on the football side of things:

1) Help pick the GM
2) Approve contracts

Now, I can't imagine a GM candidate saying "I'll only accept the job if the guy who wants to hire me has his ability to hire the GM taken away from him." That's just fucking stupid.

As far as approving contracts is concerned, there has to be someone to approve that. If he's left in charge of finances but has his "football responsibilities" taken away, he's probably still gonna have to sign on off on major financial decisions. That's just a hunch.

NOW, you're saying that he has to shoulder the blame for signing Cutler and Allen because he signed off on the contracts? He did EXACTLY what you want him to do in that situation. He trusted the GM and signed off on the GM's football decision.

If he would have refused those contracts, he would have been doing the same thing that you want him to STOP doing—interfering with the GM's job.

Again, is there any examples of him not allowing Angelo or Emery to make decisions (besides firing them at the end)?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
What you honestly think Phil Emery had an open checkbook to spend whatever he wanted on players? Same with Angelo?

If Ted Phillips was truly a bean counter only, he wouldn't have had any role whatsoever in hiring a new general manager.

Yes, which is why Phil was fired.

Honestly, meatball boogeymanism can only be taken so far.