Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
One of this mornings debates were regarding head coaching, particularly Rex. They debated whether its a better fit for Rex in ATL or SF. Chicago even came up in the debate. mike thinks it smarter to put a defensive head coach in SF where they already have a very good D. Mike said it makes no sense and that Rex would be a better fit in ATL or CHI where they already have the offensive pieces in place and would just need to build a D.

What side of this debate would you be on?

I cant say that i disagree with having a defensive minded coach now that we have some key offensive players. In the past when we had Lovie, we didnt give him many offensive options until the very end. A great D coach just needs the right OC and can build a respectable D here..

Thoughts?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Haven't the Bears already said they're not interested in Rex Ryan?

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
Defensive minded for me.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Taking Rex out of this, would you prefer a D or O minded coach?
I think there's far too much emphasis on that. I want a serious leader players will play hard for with good game management smarts. If your coordinators can run the X's and O's competently then it doesn't matter which side the HC falls more heavily on.

Last edited:

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
they are going at it again right now

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think there's far too much emphasis on that. I want a serious leader players will play hard for with good game management smarts. If your coordinators can run the X's and O's competently then it doesn't matter which side the HC falls more heavily on.

This. It could be a ST, College or high school coach for all I care as long as he shows leadership, makes the right decisions on and off the field, surrounds himself with capable coaches and isn't afraid to make tough calls down the line

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think there's far too much emphasis on that. I want a serious leader players will play hard for with good game management smarts. If your coordinators can run the X's and O's competently then it doesn't which side the HC falls more heavily on.

This is another reason why I think I am leaning towards Jack Del Rio being a HC for 9 years and a interim HC for 1 year with Denver, he should have a lot of connections for coordinators. With Mike Smith being fired he as Chicago connections and former DC under Del Rio. He would be a excellent choice as DC and the former Falcons OC Dirk Koetter, who also was a OC for Del Rio improving the Jags offense to 7th in the league.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Originally, I thought it'd be best to have a defensive minded HC hoping that would expedite fixing the D, and let a competent OC run the show on that side of the ball considering that's where most of the talent on the team is currently. But now, after reading that Ballard has more of a defensive background I'm torn. I know a GM needs to be able to build and draft both sides of the ball, but just like HC's, a lot of them specialize one way or the other. If it ends up being Ballard as GM, I think it may be best(in a perfect world) to have a Offensive minded HC to balance shit out.

It sucks that we went from having a shitty O and a good D under, Lovie, to having a decent O, and shitty D under, Trestman.

At some point it would be nice to have both sides of the ball performing well at the same time. I wonder if having a balanced GM/HC would help solve that riddle.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
One of this mornings debates were regarding head coaching, particularly Rex. They debated whether its a better fit for Rex in ATL or SF. Chicago even came up in the debate. mike thinks it smarter to put a defensive head coach in SF where they already have a very good D. Mike said it makes no sense and that Rex would be a better fit in ATL or CHI where they already have the offensive pieces in place and would just need to build a D.

What side of this debate would you be on?

I cant say that i disagree with having a defensive minded coach now that we have some key offensive players. In the past when we had Lovie, we didnt give him many offensive options until the very end. A great D coach just needs the right OC and can build a respectable D here..

Thoughts?
Who are these "key offensive players"? Forte has one or two seasons left tops. Cutler over 30 and Marshall over 30 and likely out of here. So, need a QB, a #1 WR and a #1 RB, plus a C and a LG and LT soon.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Great, then would u interview Mike Singletary.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Grimson

Best Poster of the Year
This message is hidden because Grimson is on your ignore list.
View Post

Remove user from ignore list

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Grimson

Best Poster of the Year
View Post

All that quoting that someone is on your ignore list does is admit to everyone that they got to you. Which was probably their goal to begin with.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Grimson

Best Poster of the Year
View Post

Thank you for adding to the thread.... Maybe next time just share this with your mommy.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Who are these "key offensive players"? Forte has one or two seasons left tops. Cutler over 30 and Marshall over 30 and likely out of here. So, need a QB, a #1 WR and a #1 RB, plus a C and a LG and LT soon.

We have plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball and saying Cutler and Marshall are out of here is pure speculation. So as the roster is today we have much much more talent on O than we do on D. Slausen and Bushrod are not FA so they are here another year from what it looks like. Alshon is no slouch either...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
We have plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball and saying Cutler and Marshall are out of here is pure speculation. So as the roster is today we have much much more talent on O than we do on D. Slausen and Bushrod are not FA so they are here another year from what it looks like. Alshon is no slouch either...
Not what I meant about them. They are on their way out of Chicago whether it is this year or next. They are over 30. One is past his prime and the other isn't very good. You don't hire a coach to build around those players. Same with Forte. He is old in football years for a RB. There is no reason to be focused on offense or defense for that matter. This hire can't be about a "win now" mode.