Olney: White Sox Have 8th Best Rotation

Ditka19861

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Duke, Jennings and Robertson I think the 21 blown saves from last year being reduced will make the Sox competitive alone. Add to that Shark, Melky, LaRoche, a glasses-wearing Flowers, a healthy Garcia and you have a vastly improved Sox team.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Duke, Jennings and Robertson I think the 21 blown saves from last year being reduced will make the Sox competitive alone. Add to that Shark, Melky, LaRoche, a glasses-wearing Flowers, a healthy Garcia and you have a vastly improved Sox team.

exactly. outsiders who dont watch the sox say "you only added laroche and melky to your lineup" forgetting all the other variables like the BP, injuries etc that played a part in the 73 wins

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Bill James brought that up the other day, as well.

Maybe I am underestimating them.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No buster! Cubs have the 4th best!!!!!

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with this assessment. Though we lose DUnn and Konerko and repalce them with Melky, Laroche and add a healthy Garcia we should be significantly better in scoring runs. I expect at least a 15% bump and will be disappointed if it isn't.

I will just say that they are really REALLY depending on a huge contribution from a yet unproven guy and that is Garcia. Both in the field and in the line-up. That is okay if he produces but if he gets hurt again or doesn't produce, they do not have anything to replace him. A very thin outfield occurs throughout the White Sox organization.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I will just say that they are really REALLY depending on a huge contribution from a yet unproven guy and that is Garcia. Both in the field and in the line-up. That is okay if he produces but if he gets hurt again or doesn't produce, they do not have anything to replace him. A very thin outfield occurs throughout the White Sox organization.

I have concerns about Garcia's production in RF, but I think the Sox have enough pieces to win, even with a serviceable replacement. Tank is gone, and both Eaton and Garcia are healthy, unlike last year. If Melky or Eaton go down, then we're in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have concerns about Garcia's production in RF, but I think the Sox have enough pieces to win, even with a serviceable replacement. Tank is gone, and both Eaton and Garcia are healthy, unlike last year. If Melky or Eaton go down, then we're in trouble.

If Garcia doesn't hit, their line-up is in trouble. Right now, as it stands, the offense has some holes in it. 2nd base, Catching, and 3rd base. They just cannot afford to lose a power bat in that line-up. If Garcia doesn't work out for any reason, their offense is going to be just marginally better than last years.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
With the pitching the Sox have it only needs to be marginally better.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Right on, Brett. Good pitching in baseball is like having the Bears defense in the Lovie years. It will keep the Sox in a lot of ball games otherwise lost.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
If Garcia doesn't hit, their line-up is in trouble. Right now, as it stands, the offense has some holes in it. 2nd base, Catching, and 3rd base. They just cannot afford to lose a power bat in that line-up. If Garcia doesn't work out for any reason, their offense is going to be just marginally better than last years.

Obviously I don't agree with your assessment. You're overlooking the fact that the Sox added more than what they lost during the offseason. LaRouche and Melky are considerable upgrades over Paulie and Tank. Avisial certainly needs to cut down on the strikeouts, but he alone won't keep the team from contending. Losing Eaton or Melky would hurt more, imo.