All underrated team

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54559/the-current-all-underrated-team

1B: Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
Rizzo is probably the biggest name here, but I would suggest that many fans don't realize how good he was in 2014. He had a higher OBP and slugging percentage than Miguel Cabrera. He had a higher FanGraphs WAR than Jose Abreu of the crosstown White Sox but certainly didn't get the same level of national attention. He finished behind Adrian Gonzalez in the MVP voting because he didn't drive in as many runs. He has more power than Freddie Freeman, a young first baseman who gets more recognition. The best part: He's just 25.

Liked Posts:
Lorenzo Cain. The best CF in baseball. Should have easily won the gold glove over Adam Jones. While playing against Jones' team, he routinely made plays that Jones can only dream of making. The fact that Jones was voted the gold glove just goes to show numerous flaws in how this is awarded (east coast bias, small market, more established player, etc).

I don't see how anyone can watch that ALCS and come to any other conclusion.

Btw, I still think that baseball is headed to a realization of what was old is, once again new. At least I hope. One of the surviving remnants of the steroid era is high strikeouts. In the 80s there was more emphasis on productive outs. It took the Royals far in 14. I think the game will continue to move in this direction but slowly depending on how the advanced metrics people assimilate this reality.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Btw, I still think that baseball is headed to a realization of what was old is, once again new. At least I hope. One of the surviving remnants of the steroid era is high strikeouts. In the 80s there was more emphasis on productive outs. It took the Royals far in 14. I think the game will continue to move in this direction but slowly depending on how the advanced metrics people assimilate this reality.

I tend to agree which is one of the numerous reasons I have suggested trading Baez which I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I tend to agree which is one of the numerous reasons I have suggested trading Baez which I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing here.

Career minor league:

Baez: SO: 350 BB: 88 3.97 ratio.
Bryant: SO: 162 BB: 97 1.67 Ratio
Soler: SO: 105 BB: 66 1.59 ratio
Russell: SO: 222 BB: 103 2.15 ratio
Almora SO: 112 BB: 33 3.39 ratio
Alcantara: SO: 445 BB: 162 2.74 ratio

Schwarber: 57 SO 39 BB 1.46 ratio
Lake: 594 SO 152 BB 3.91 ratio
Olt: 418 SO 213 BB 1.96 ratio
Volgelbach 230 SO 176 BB 1.30 ratio

Just saying he has a SO% of # means little. You have to look at a hitters BB% and find out what their ratio is. Looking at Lake his is around a 4:1 on even ground. Against proven talent it went up to 8:1. So as he gets adjusted you would expect it to go back to his 4:1 ratio. Which is not good. Baez is in the same boat so he needs to adjust his approach. Almora is over 3:1 but that ties into his BB%. That is a key weakness with him right now.

Vogelbach is strong here with a 1.3:1 ratio. Soler's ratio shows why he should adapt fast to major league pitching. Olt is a head scratchier but he did post up stronger numbers post demote and admitted that he got out of his normal mechanics early year. He could become a unexpected strong player this year if he gets enough AB's.

Alcantara's ratio shows that he is a middle of the road hitter with strike zone mastery. With his tools he could be a plus player when he adapts.

So ya Baez is a concern. Russell is near 1000 minor league AB's and has pushed near a 2.0 ratio so he is almost due to promote and should be a better long term option.