The Maddon effect: Eat your Heart out Sox fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Troll how you want Sox fans, but times are changin. And I, for one, am so looking forward to Sox fans weak attempts to keep trolling the Cubs in the near future! The last 3 years of trolling are going to make the future of the Cubs for me oh so sweet! Oh, and I'm just the kind of ass that will remind you the whole way......... :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddon lives up to his billing early on

January, 18, 2015

By Jesse Rogers
ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- At the 30th annual Chicago Cubs fan convention this weekend, new manager Joe Maddon was every bit the charismatic personality everyone knew he would be, giving renewed hope to desperate Cubs fans.

Maddon commanded every room he entered at the Chicago Sheraton & Towers. That included his hour-long forum with his coaches on Saturday, which began with a standing ovation when he was introduced. Maddon did most of the talking and it sounds like he’s starting to understand the love affair between the city and his iconic team.

“The refrain that catches me, a lot of it is male-oriented, and the guys talk about their dads and their grandfathers a lot,” Maddon explained. “They’ve never had a World Series here in their lifetime. That’s what stands out to me. There is a real passionate generational situation here. Pretty cool stuff.”

It’s not the first time the Cubs have hired a high-profile manager, but it may be the first time they’ve hired one who drives his RV across the country or conducts his job interviews in a trailer park. And he might be the first Cubs skipper to bat his pitcher eighth (he’s thinking about it) or ask a young fan who should play third base (the kid said Kris Bryant).

But after the cheering stops, he has to manage a young team faced with massively growing expectations. Former managers Dusty Baker and Lou Piniella each made it to the playoffs in their first year at the helm, only to be nearly run out of town several seasons later. And now Maddon’s first baseman has basically declared them division winners before the snow has melted or Wrigley Field even has walls.

“I’m here to support everything that he said,” Maddon stated of Anthony Rizzo's bold declarations.

Is Maddon that different than other managers or does he just express himself differently?

“The guy has a brilliant mind so you never know what he’s going to do,” longtime bench coach Davey Martinez said. “He doesn’t do things orthodox, but he’s not a mad scientist. He puts a lot of thought into all the things he does.

“I love the dress code. He says, ‘If you think you look good, wear it.’”

But there has to be substance behind the personality or he’ll end up the in the same boat as Baker and Piniella: hearing boos after the initial cheers. That substance will come from a combination of using the information from the front office and using a personal touch.

“I have to see the guys in person,” Maddon said. “I have to ask questions. I have to get with the analytic people. I’m big on that kind of stuff. I want to talk to them in the dugout, watch their at-bats, see what they’re doing. I have zero pre-conceived notions.”

Along those lines, both at his media session on Friday then again with fans on Saturday, Maddon stressed the notion of accountability and earning time in the lineup.

“I don’t like the entitlement program,” he said more than once.

That kind of thinking applies to the Cubs now more than ever. They have young players all over the place. Sure, there is a pecking order for opportunity, but Maddon doesn’t sound like a manager handing out jobs based on draft status. It’s a clean slate. That can benefit anyone from Mike Olt to Javier Baez.

“They have to earn it,” Maddon stated. “And you stay there by owning up to your mistakes.”

One of Maddon’s best attributes, according to those who have played with him, is his ability to connect. That doesn’t come as a surprise after seeing him relate to fans on Saturday. He asked one for a “shot and a beer” t-shirt he was wearing and told another he needs to make a “bleacher bum” shirt for he and his friends. And yes, he reiterated his desire to buy a round of drinks for fans after a game this season.

So maybe it comes as no surprise to hear him say his job isn’t to make sure a bunt gets down or the defense is in the right position -- he has coaches for that.

“My job is to pay attention to the clubhouse,” Maddon said. “Over the course of the last several years I’ve kind of learned my craft a little bit. I intend to bring it here. I believe it’s going to work.”

It sounds and looks like Cubs fans agree.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
That's cuz the Cubs gonna stick his words right back up his ...........

So its the White Sox and their fans fault for trolling, yet you geniuses make a thread dedicated to instigating.

giphy.gif

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
So its the White Sox and their fans fault for trolling, yet you geniuses make a thread dedicated to instigating.

"Come on man", you really gonna post a pic of that silly ass Bitch of a judge and be serious? After 3 years of hearing you Sox fans bash the Cubs, you really gonna talk to me about instigating? All I can say is Laugh the fuck out loud, and I can't wait to see your smart remarks moving forward, just like I said!!!!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
haha! my trolling got you to make a thread in your forum about the sox! winning!

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
When I saw the thread title, I thought it should be posted in the sox forum since its addressing sox fans. But then I remembered they're all pathetically trolling in the Cubs forum.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I saw the thread title, I thought it should be posted in the sox forum since its addressing sox fans. But then I remembered they're all pathetically trolling in the Cubs forum.

its a message board for one.

2nd... making a thread like this is pretty magical in my eyes.

im just curious on what type of threads would be created if i actually put more effort into trolling you little guys.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep. Winning the same amount of games as the Cubs!

you fail so bad at this. but please share more.

butz butz teh last yearszz recordz and teh stuffzz with teh attendsncesz and teh moarsz fanz

love it!

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
its a message board for one.

2nd... making a thread like this is pretty magical in my eyes.

im just curious on what type of threads would be created if i actually put more effort into trolling you little guys.

You put a lot of effort in the 1st half last year, not so much in the 2nd half, however. Sign of things to come?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Where's JosMin? He was going to lock these types of off course threads. :D

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
"Come on man", you really gonna post a pic of that silly ass Bitch of a judge and be serious? After 3 years of hearing you Sox fans bash the Cubs, you really gonna talk to me about instigating? All I can say is Laugh the fuck out loud, and I can't wait to see your smart remarks moving forward, just like I said!!!!

First off--I'm not a sox fan, cupcake.

Next--I don't care about them, neither should you. They're a bunch of 'little brother complex' people from the shitty side of town associated with all the gang shootings and failures in education/reading.

The sox can win the next 10 world series, they'll still be the 2nd team in this city.

Most real sox fans I know aren't little bitches like the ones you're going after with all this cubs/sox shit. They don't care because they play us 4 times a year, and it hasn't been meaningful in the BP cup nobody wants.

Last--don't you EVER disrespect Judge Judy :tongue:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Next--I don't care about them, neither should you. They're a bunch of 'little brother complex' people from the ... side of town associated with all the gang shootings and failures in education/reading.

The sox can win the next 10 world series, they'll still be the 2nd team in this city.

Just wanted to point two things out.

Crime is worse around Wrigley than the Cell
For the foreseeable future we are but no one outside of the Cubs cares about being second class

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

For the foreseeable future we are but no one outside of the Cubs cares about being second class

[video=youtube;H-Q7b-vHY3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q[/video]

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You put a lot of effort in the 1st half last year, not so much in the 2nd half, however. Sign of things to come?

yes. I saw how great the cubs were doing the 2nd half I had nothing to say. I was speechless by it.

The real answer is I kind of lost interest in Chicago baseball during the 2nd half. What a team does in a 2nd half bad or good really doesn't mean a whole lot when it is a sample size. But I you want to believe I stopped because they were playing better, please believe that. I want you to sleep good at night.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

maybe if public intox and other drunken related crimes are included lol

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

Next--I don't care about them, neither should you. They're a bunch of 'little brother complex' people from the shitty side of town associated with all the gang shootings and failures in education/reading.

Most real sox fans I know aren't little bitches like the ones you're going after with all this cubs/sox shit. They don't care because they play us 4 times a year, and it hasn't been meaningful in the BP cup nobody wants.

Last--don't you EVER disrespect Judge Judy :tongue:

CUPCAKE!? ......... :tiptoe:

Status
Not open for further replies.