Danny Shelton dominating Senior Bowl.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
You're going to have to provide evidence that the NT spot is important to Fangio's defense. Give me an example of a point in time where the 49ers trotted out a big fat two gap nose tackle that set the tone. They've dominated on defense have consistently been one of the best against the run so surely they've had a borderline Pro Bowl level player in the middle of that defense for at least the last five years.

Understandable and valid point although Sopoaga was a big NT in that system. I think Fangio is flexible and the lack of a big NT in his later years may have been a result of just how the market and drafts turned out. Maybe there wasn't a guy Fangio really wanted.

If Pace, Fox and Fangio think Shelton is the next Ngata or Poe, they will not pass on him because of his style but rather fit their scheme around his skills.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
You're going to have to provide evidence that the NT spot is important to Fangio's defense. Give me an example of a point in time where the 49ers trotted out a big fat two gap nose tackle that set the tone. They've dominated on defense have consistently been one of the best against the run so surely they've had a borderline Pro Bowl level player in the middle of that defense for at least the last five years.
A NT is the most important part in any defense. 49ers play nothing but big lineman who eat up blocks to free up there all star cast of LB. Smith, Bowman, Willis.

Sopoaga, McDonald, Dorsey you will even see Justin Smith in the middle trying to eat up gaps.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
So many conflicting views on whether he runs a 2 or 1 gap. I think he has run and has experience with both. With our personnel I think he runs a 1 gap.

What conflicting reports? From everything Ive read his lineman primarily play 2 gap, but occasionally hell mix it up with a hybrid front or 4-3 look.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Well Ian Williams and Dorsey are far from 2 gap NT.

Well apparently they get the job done, and since he does incorporate 1 gap fronts as well perhaps he doesnt want your true prototypical 3-4nt, but instead players that can fill both roles. If so thats a good thing since the bears wont be so hard pressed to fill the nt position.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I feel it's going to be between Dupree And Gregory come draft day. Dupree is very similar to Aldon Smith on a lot of different levels. Gregories Injury history kind of scares me. I can't wait to compare these players on paper post combine to see how they physically match up with Smith from a numbers/measurables stand point. Both have the size to transcend scheme.

Both also have experience standing up playing in space and playing as a down lineman.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I feel it's going to be between Dupree And Gregory come draft day. Dupree is very similar to Aldon Smith on a lot of different levels. Gregories Injury history kind of scares me. I can't wait to compare these players on paper post combine to see how they physically match up with Smith from a numbers/measurables stand point. Both have the size to transcend scheme.

Both also have experience standing up playing in space and playing as a down lineman.

I havent watched any of Dupree, but Gregory is being projected as a top ten pick while Deupree is between 15-20 on big boards. I have watched Gregory and Im not that big on him, I prefer Ray by far.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Gregory is so overrated.

He has upside, no doubt with his athleticism but as far as being a football player I am unsure. Maybe Fangio can get him to reach that potential.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Would be great I just don't see it. His draft stock is only going to go up with the combine because he is a workout warrior.

Adun

Liked Posts:
Understandable and valid point although Sopoaga was a big NT in that system. I think Fangio is flexible and the lack of a big NT in his later years may have been a result of just how the market and drafts turned out. Maybe there wasn't a guy Fangio really wanted.

If Pace, Fox and Fangio think Shelton is the next Ngata or Poe, they will not pass on him because of his style but rather fit their scheme around his skills.

And Franklin before him too

Shelton is not Ngata who is longer and had much better feet. Ngata also played DE, not NT

Adun

Liked Posts:
Would be great I just don't see it. His draft stock is only going to go up with the combine because he is a workout warrior.

It's ok, I'm not crazy about any of these undersized rushers, but I think I prefer Orchard over Ray over anybody

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i didnt watch the game but how did shelton do at the senior bowl?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
It's ok, I'm not crazy about any of these undersized rushers, but I think I prefer Orchard over Ray over anybody

They wont be undersized as 3-4 olbs.

I havent watched Orchard either, but hes projected as a second round pick and cant imagine him being nearly as impressive as Ray.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Can someone arguing for Gregory being taken at 7 please tell me which game he look completely dominant in down in down out....against good to elite competition.

I am not saying it doesn't exist, but I probably saw 4 games and always watch line play being an ex-lineman myself, and honestly he couldn't CARRY Williams jock.

They looked like they came from different planets....Bosa is MUCH better than Gregory TODAY.

NOT TOMORROW, today Bosa is MUCH better than him from the football I saw.

Again, I haven't all his games....maybe I am missing something.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I like the violence and relentless nature of Fowlers game. He reminds of a James Harrison a little I. The way that he is constantly moving towards the QB.

My concern with Ray is that he is a first step winner, and if NFL OTs are athletic enough to take away the 1st step what does he go to? Even inside he often wins with initial burst.

He doesn't have great length or power.

Ray isn't a Khalil Mack you're correct on that account. Nor does he have the length that Anthony Barr has. But for this draft class he's the best at his position and I think in terms of overall talent in this draft he is a top-10 pick. I also think he's head and shoulders better than Fowler because Folwer can't win with a first step and if you can't win with the first step and then have to learn everything else that's to big of a risk.

With Ray you can coach more to his game while also contextualizing that he's not as complete as other prospects have been.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I havent watched any of Dupree, but Gregory is being projected as a top ten pick while Deupree is between 15-20 on big boards. I have watched Gregory and Im not that big on him, I prefer Ray by far.
For an Example, USC schemed to keep Gregory in check with alot of 3 step drop one read throws. That opens things up for others in the grand scheme of things. I prefer Ray and Dupree but would not be mad at all with Gregory. He's raw as was smith but with immense ability and able to take coaching from everything I've read. Injures set him back this year.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Ray isn't a Khalil Mack you're correct on that account. Nor does he have the length that Anthony Barr has. But for this draft class he's the best at his position and I think in terms of overall talent in this draft he is a top-10 pick. I also think he's head and shoulders better than Fowler because Folwer can't win with a first step and if you can't win with the first step and then have to learn everything else that's to big of a risk.

With Ray you can coach more to his game while also contextualizing that he's not as complete as other prospects have been.

Disagree here. While Ray has a superior first-step and initial quickness, Fowler possesses a quick first step as well, just not as quick as Ray which most people aren't. Ray is the top rusher by far IMO but Fowler is not too far behind and comes in day 1 with experience dropping into coverage combined with violent hands, an NFL ready body and considerable power.

I would be thrilled with either.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
SI.com's Inside Read reported that scouts were "shaking their heads" over the way Kentucky has used redshirt senior DE Alvin "Bud" Dupree.
This season, the 6-foot-4, 267-pound Dupree has 5.5 sacks and 8.5 tackles for loss. Scouts are intrigued by Dupree's potential outside of the Wildcats' system. "They don’t ask him to get the quarterback," said one scout. "They ask him to do a lot of things, reads on the coverage, set the edge." The scout added that "[Dupree]’ll be a better pro than a college player because he can do so many things." The scout said that if Dupree was gunning for the QB more, his numbers could be similar to Missouri's Shane Ray (12 sacks), who's a possible Top-10 pick.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Just because NT hasn't doninated in Fangio's D has no relevance to the possibility of one dominating in ours. Maybe a dominate DT would have made the SF defense's that much better. Having arguably the most dominant 3-4 DE against the run in Justin Smith certainly lessened the importance of that position. That being said I fully trust Fangio to ID the players that will work best in his scheme.