All-Star Weekend IGT

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder what this says about us as a society? A friendly, family-orientated exhibition game amongst all-pros and we're in here screaming for heads to roll lol. Blood, damnit! MORE BLOOD! SOMEBODY RIP JOHNNY HOCKEY'S FUCKING HEAD OFF AND USE IT AS A PUCK!
As a knuckle-dragging bloodthirsty neanderthal that has *actual* testosterone coursing through my veins, I would agree with the "MOaR BLOOD!!!" sentiment--if nor no other reason than that it pisses off the peacenik Kumbaya anti-fighting coalition to no end.

But, as of now there is not, nor has their been a better orgy of hockey violence better than the fabled "Punch-up in Piestany", so why risk the life and limb of any of the current NHL stars to try and match it?
[video=youtube;2vjcr0_NKEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjcr0_NKEA[/video]

The target audience for games like this is not hardcore hockey fans. It's mostly for the kids. My seven year old son got a kick out of it. He asked me why nobody was playing defense and why there were so many goals being scored. I told him they are just out there playing for fun, and don't care about winning.

He understood that it isn't real hockey but still enjoyed watching it...

Again, what does it matter? If you don't like it, don't watch. There is a target audience, it's just not us. The players seem to enjoy it and were having fun. Sometimes it's good to show kids that it is still just a game, when all is said and done. It's supposed to be fun. That can be lost in the competitiveness a lot of the time.

Bingo. It's the fan experience for the kids and newcomers.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I'm sure the players would love to have had the day off instead.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Maybe, but it certainly looked like the guys were having a good time. When you are playing competitive sports every single day, sometimes it's nice to just go out there, fuck around, and have some fun. Sometimes it's nice to be able to hang out with guys you would normally be cussing out and hate at any other point in the season. I always enjoyed playing in these games growing up.

Again, who gives a fuck? I get shit for talking trash about Dan Carcillo and what a douchebag he is, and here you guys are ranting and raving about a fucking all-star game? The all-star game is a pathetic embarrassment to the NHL but Carcillo isn't? Good logic there... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think this article sums up my opinion on the subject pretty well:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24992156/why-the-nhl-all-star-game-still-matters

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having an all star game decide who gets home ice/field/court in sports is moronic. It should be decided by how you do in the regular season, not some silly all star game. Imagine if the Hawks dominated the league and had the #1 seed, yet still had to go on the road to visit some shitty team that barely snuck into the playoffs for the SCF. All because something as crucial as HIA is decided by a pointless game.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I also love the comment about "people lifting soft shots up at the net". Yes, that's exactly what those were. "Soft" snap shots clocking in at 70-80 MPH. I'm sure Toews would agree with that comment as well, after getting hit in the ankle by Kaner's shot... :lol:

That was one of the things I would actually love to see move over to regular season games. The MPH on shots on replays/goals. Hell, I would love to see it on passes too, to be honest. I don't think the average person realizes how fast that puck is moving. Most PASSES are probably flying around at 45+ MPH out there.

Variable

Liked Posts:
I'm sure the players would love to have had the day off instead.

There are always ways out if they really didn't want to go. Seemed like they were having fun with it, especially at the draft.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Having an all star game decide who gets home ice/field/court in sports is moronic. It should be decided by how you do in the regular season, not some silly all star game. Imagine if the Hawks dominated the league and had the #1 seed, yet still had to go on the road to visit some shitty team that barely snuck into the playoffs for the SCF. All because something as crucial as HIA is decided by a pointless game.

If a team gets to the SCF, I'm not sure how you could classify them as a shitty team.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Maybe, but it certainly looked like the guys were having a good time. When you are playing competitive sports every single day, sometimes it's nice to just go out there, fuck around, and have some fun. Sometimes it's nice to be able to hang out with guys you would normally be cussing out and hate at any other point in the season. I always enjoyed playing in these games growing up.

Again, who gives a fuck? I get shit for talking trash about Dan Carcillo and what a douchebag he is, and here you guys are ranting and raving about a fucking all-star game? The all-star game is a pathetic embarrassment to the NHL but Carcillo isn't? Good logic there... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think this article sums up my opinion on the subject pretty well:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24992156/why-the-nhl-all-star-game-still-matters

It's just not exciting to the passionate fans. Players themselves typically prefer not to play, which is why guys like Malkin and Crosby sit out to refresh.

The skills competition and draft was obviously fun, and it is, but watching guys half ass it playing no defense and trying not to get hurt isn't fun for anybody on the ice nor for the fans. Save it for the end of the year, where guys might be more interested in giving more effort. Even Kane said that he thought the game could of been better if guys had been playing like they did in the 3rd with more effort than they did on the 1st two periods.

More or less, I probably won't attempt to watch it again.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Malkin was legit hurt... since you know he actually had to miss a real game like the Hawks game. And he typically has been in the games.

Crosby was fine all Hawks game and he choose to claim he was injured. Apparently because of that the rule is you are banned from your first game after the All-Star evident if you miss it from injury.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are always ways out if they really didn't want to go. Seemed like they were having fun with it, especially at the draft.
Exatly. The "Most hair gel by an NHL player", and "It's all natural" exchange with Luongo cracked me up. He does look like he regularly uses his head as a swab to clean out KFC buckets.

And no, the All-star game is not for the passionate fans--it's for the kids; the next generation of passionate fans.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exatly. The "Most hair gel by an NHL player", and "It's all natural" exchange with Luongo cracked me up. He does look like he regularly uses his head as a swab to clean out KFC buckets.

And no, the All-star game is not for the passionate fans--it's for the kids; the next generation of passionate fans.

On the money. I don't watch the game, but love the skills competition. However, it is great for kids to see the best players in the world out there even if they are half assing it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On the money. I don't watch the game, but love the skills competition. However, it is great for kids to see the best players in the world out there even if they are half assing it.

I wouldn't even consider it completely "half assing it". It looked to me like everyone was 100% focused on offense and not running themselves into the ground, and then everything was as flashy and highlight reel as possible (even the goalies). Half-assing it would have impled that they weren't trying for lacrosse moves, passes to one's self, or even a fake netmouth scrum. No, they weren't going full tilt; it appeared to me like they were going for maximum entertainment value for the kids.

Purists won't like it, but purists aren't the audience. IMHO watching the All-star game and expecting great hockey is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters and expecting the Washington Generals to win.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't even consider it completely "half assing it". It looked to me like everyone was 100% focused on offense and not running themselves into the ground, and then everything was as flashy and highlight reel as possible (even the goalies). Half-assing it would have impled that they weren't trying for lacrosse moves, passes to one's self, or even a fake netmouth scrum. No, they weren't going full tilt; it appeared to me like they were going for maximum entertainment value for the kids.

Purists won't like it, but purists aren't the audience. IMHO watching the All-star game and expecting great hockey is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters and expecting the Washington Generals to win.

They will win someday! I have faith.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe they actually did once or twice before.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I believe they actually did once or twice before.

Eventually those guys have to be tired of getting their asses kicked every single night and they just snap... or spontaneously combust.