QB talent in the 2015 NFL Draft

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Yeah, it still aggravates me to think about the fact that we we could have drafted Garopollo in the second.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It's not uncommon for QBs projected to go in the late first or even second to get drafted in the top 10 or 15. You could be getting a star or a bum, but the possibility of landing a hit at the most important position makes it the one position worth overdrafting for at the top end of the draft. I wouldn't object to taking him if we traded down a few picks and picked up an extra second, or something like that.

But I think Fox and Fangio lobby Pace for Landon Collins and make him into a pro bowl safety.

If Collins were in a draft class with real safety prospects, would he even get drafted in the 1st?

You may overdraft a QB, but you shouldn't overdraft a safety.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
About collins... while he is in no way worth a top ten pick, he would be a decent trade down candidate. Ive watched a bit of him and he is a solid prospect. the thing I like about him is hes always around the ball, hes always in a good position to make a play whether coming down to help run support or defending the pass. Ive seen a number of receivers drop the ball simply because they knew he was right there about to lay into them.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've watched most of Hubdley's games as I live in LA and my GF graduated from the same HS. He has some serious issues with reading D and accuracy.

Well then he'll fit right in here, our "elite" qb's got the same problems ....

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I dont think Hundley ability to read Ds or his accuracy are nearly as poor as some are trying to make out. Its not like he plays in a one read and throw it to the wide open reviver offense.

Hell, he already has a step up on most prospects due to the fact that he actually makes pre snap checks and calls protections.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Let's get some things straight right now about the talent in this draft class, there is talent to be had if someone knows where to look for it. Right now every draftnik is echoing the same talking points of everyone else on the internet. The consensus is being built because everyone is saying the same basic thing that everyone else is saying without really having watched football.

The main problem right now is Mariota has been the runaway consensus number one overall pick for the last two years because he's been the most exciting player in college football. A lot of people watched that thrilling Michigan State middle,of the afternoon game and how Oregon came back and that cemented his legacy. Problem is. Mariota didn't do anything NFL worthy in that game. Now that Mariota's game was exposed no one knows where to go with him. They've propped him up for two straight years as as good or better than Kapernick, in the meantime Kapernick has been exposed thus hurting the best part of Mariota's game even further.

Last year Johnny Manziel was overrated for some of his in-game heroics and moxy much like Tim Tebow and Mariota. What Manziel had that was a better than Tebow was better a better release. Manziel never should have gone in the first round, and Mariota shouldn't go in the first round. What Mariota has is better size than Manziel.

Now the bottom line:

Brett Hundley is the best QB in this draft and he's a better overall prospect than Teddy Bridgewater, Bridgewater was more refined at this point is the main difference here. Hundley is better than Mariota and it's not even close in terms of pro level talent. Hundley should be the first QB off the board.

Then there's of course Jameis Winston who became a turnover machine as his ego got bigger. He's another one of the best QBs in this draft but likely undraftable because he's a head case.

Mannion is a hair less better type of player than Blake Bortles. Slightly less athletic but as good if not a better arm, but has experience dropping back from under center ala what most NFL QBs do now and what everyone else is saying is a short coming of Mariota and others. Mannion is being knocked for his lack of movement in the pocket while at the same time not being any credit for playing in a pro style offense.

Petty is in the same mold as a David Carr. Same type of offense overall same type of prospect. There's talent in this QB class, one just has to know where to look and find it.

Why is Hudnley the best? Simple, despite being in a spread offense it's closer to an NFL offense than it is to the Oregon offense. UCLA's offense is predicated on the pass whereas Oregon's offense was predicated on the run. UCLA runs the same zone read concepts but it's a mere part of, not the catalyst of. There are far more progression responsibilities in the UCLA offense than the Oregon or Baylor offense. Hundley can succeed in an NFL offense because he's running a toned down version of an NFL offense. Brock Osweiler ran the same offense his final year at ASU as did Phillip Rivers at NC State same coach.

There is no Andrew Luck in this draft but there is also better or as good of talent in this draft than last year. Manziel was the,primary driving force behind last year's hype and Mariota is driving that hype this year, the problem is reality stands in stark contrast to the hype and no one has the balls to say it yet because reality would stand in stark contrast to the narrative they've so eloquently painted the last two years for Mariota.

Now then last year was a year of obscene hype about one of the greatest QB classes of all-time, but history rarely ever repeats itself in terms of true success. If you genuinely compare and contrast last year with this year you'll find that last year isn't all that different from this year. Hundley is equivalent to Bridgewater and should probably be the only QB off the board I the first round. Most of the other kids fall into that David Carr mold where they have talent and a chance which means they could wind up going either way.

First of all is this a article from some writer or is this you (BF51) saying this??

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He has. Career 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio, 75 TDs to 25 career INTs, he reads defenses just fine.

Yes but that is in college. There are soooo many QB's that LOOK like they'll be good in the NFL but never make it. I think one of the biggest transitions from college to the NFL that doesn't get brought up enough is the mental part of the transition and the confidence part that these kids lose once things get tough or start going wrong for them. T.Brady has a ton of confidence and had it from the beginning and he got passed over by every team even the Patriots for 5 rounds because the mental part is something these GM's and coaches can't see with their eyes. I'm not sure if i'm making a ton of sense here but at least i know what i'm talking about with this.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It's not uncommon for QBs projected to go in the late first or even second to get drafted in the top 10 or 15. You could be getting a star or a bum, but the possibility of landing a hit at the most important position makes it the one position worth overdrafting for at the top end of the draft. I wouldn't object to taking him if we traded down a few picks and picked up an extra second, or something like that.

But I think Fox and Fangio lobby Pace for Landon Collins and make him into a pro bowl safety.

Ok i'm with you on that it's the one position you take that chance on if there's truly a QB that you think will be a franchise QB but i absolutely don't think you do it when you have a team full of holes and you need all the draft picks you can use to get younger and fill those holes.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
You think I'm lying about liking A&M and hating SC? Just because I don't think he will be a good pro doesn't mean you can call me a liar, you are pretty sensative about the evaluation of a 22 year old man.

No dingleberry, lying about having a bias in favor or for Hundley.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Yes but that is in college. There are soooo many QB's that LOOK like they'll be good in the NFL but never make it. I think one of the biggest transitions from college to the NFL that doesn't get brought up enough is the mental part of the transition and the confidence part that these kids lose once things get tough or start going wrong for them. T.Brady has a ton of confidence and had it from the beginning and he got passed over by every team even the Patriots for 5 rounds because the mental part is something these GM's and coaches can't see with their eyes. I'm not sure if i'm making a ton of sense here but at least i know what i'm talking about with this.

Yeah but? All I was evaluating and arguing was college stats and his ability to read defenses. There's one 2014 Hundley game out there and it's his worst game of the season, it's also a game that was televised early in the season that everyone nationally watched. Hundley didn't play well in at game and in turn that single game has been used by those in the amateur scouting community to evaluate his entire 2014 season

Typically everyone on the. East Coast or in the Midwest is asleep or freaking blitzed by the time Hudley's games are on TV so they miss him playing. It's always like that and always will be like that.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok i'm with you on that it's the one position you take that chance on if there's truly a QB that you think will be a franchise QB but i absolutely don't think you do it when you have a team full of holes and you need all the draft picks you can use to get younger and fill those holes.

Unfortunately, the QB position is a hole for the Bears. Even if Cutler sticks around for one more season because no one wants to trade for him Pace can't afford to sit and wait around for the mythical next Andrew Luck QB rich draft class to come along before addressing the QB position. He signed a 4 year deal... Phil signed a 5 year contract and only got 3 before he was fired. Pace doesn't have the luxury of waiting around for some perfect draft prospect to come along. The clock is ticking.

You also have to consider the fact that the QB FA class is terrible this year but strong at several defensive positions of need for the Bears. God willing Pace will knock out a few of those needs in FA and give himself flexibility to address the QB position early. Then factor in all of the various scenarios: trading down for more picks, trading Cutler for picks/swaps, keeping #7 and trading back up into the 1st to grab a QB, or some other variation or combination of methods....

If done right it's not exactly the end of the world for Pace to grab a QB like Hundley early. I'd much prefer it opposed to sitting on his hands and playing wait and see.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Why waste a pick on a 1st round QB that will not be an upgrade immediately when we have other glaring holes in our roster that need more attention? Why not take a QB who we can work with over the course of the season or two and let them develop?

Yeah I get all the Cutler hate, no problem, but he's going to be our best option next to an unproven rookie.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Why waste a pick on a 1st round QB that will not be an upgrade immediately when we have other glaring holes in our roster that need more attention? Why not take a QB who we can work with over the course of the season or two and let them develop?

Yeah I get all the Cutler hate, no problem, but he's going to be our best option next to an unproven rookie.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

At no point did I advocate taking Hundley at seventh overall.

Reactions: WCL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I actually heard an interesting take on Mariota... His strength at the QB position is in his decision making post snap, ie read option. He needs an NFL coaching staff that will grant him this strength. Then the analyst went on to list the NFL teams that this would work out at. Interestingly enough, Seattle was on that list as well as the 49'rs but that was pre Harbaugh release and Chip Kelly's Offense.
It's interesting speculation but in the NFL, you're fucked of you can't primarily throw from a pocket. I tend to agree with Bearmick but there's a few QBs that I'd have thought the same about and eventually made it. I don't expect the great majority of these guys to amount to anything. It's simply a matter of need vs risk management.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

What part of Landon Collins' game do you see a potential pro bowler? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have our own Earl Thomas, but I think that Collins will follow Haha and Mark Barron to mediocrity.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I've watched most of Hubdley's games as I live in LA and my GF graduated from the same HS. He has some serious issues with reading D and accuracy. I don't think he will be much better than EJ Manuel.

Hubdley's #'s have gotten progressively better, you don't know what ur talking about......there's nothing wrong with his accuracy.....show us his stats

Mr.Anderson

Liked Posts:
The only QB's Hundley resembles are the ones that are out of the NFL in two years.

Saying Hundley is the best QB in this draft is like saying, The skinniest hottest chick, at a morbidly obese transvestite drag queen competition.

How about we look for a QB that is at least accurate and somewhat consistent.