QB talent in the 2015 NFL Draft

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Let's get some things straight right now about the talent in this draft class, there is talent to be had if someone knows where to look for it. Right now every draftnik is echoing the same talking points of everyone else on the internet. The consensus is being built because everyone is saying the same basic thing that everyone else is saying without really having watched football.

The main problem right now is Mariota has been the runaway consensus number one overall pick for the last two years because he's been the most exciting player in college football. A lot of people watched that thrilling Michigan State middle,of the afternoon game and how Oregon came back and that cemented his legacy. Problem is. Mariota didn't do anything NFL worthy in that game. Now that Mariota's game was exposed no one knows where to go with him. They've propped him up for two straight years as as good or better than Kapernick, in the meantime Kapernick has been exposed thus hurting the best part of Mariota's game even further.

Last year Johnny Manziel was overrated for some of his in-game heroics and moxy much like Tim Tebow and Mariota. What Manziel had that was a better than Tebow was better a better release. Manziel never should have gone in the first round, and Mariota shouldn't go in the first round. What Mariota has is better size than Manziel.

Now the bottom line:

Brett Hundley is the best QB in this draft and he's a better overall prospect than Teddy Bridgewater, Bridgewater was more refined at this point is the main difference here. Hundley is better than Mariota and it's not even close in terms of pro level talent. Hundley should be the first QB off the board.

Then there's of course Jameis Winston who became a turnover machine as his ego got bigger. He's another one of the best QBs in this draft but likely undraftable because he's a head case.

Mannion is a hair less better type of player than Blake Bortles. Slightly less athletic but as good if not a better arm, but has experience dropping back from under center ala what most NFL QBs do now and what everyone else is saying is a short coming of Mariota and others. Mannion is being knocked for his lack of movement in the pocket while at the same time not being any credit for playing in a pro style offense.

Petty is in the same mold as a David Carr. Same type of offense overall same type of prospect. There's talent in this QB class, one just has to know where to look and find it.

Why is Hudnley the best? Simple, despite being in a spread offense it's closer to an NFL offense than it is to the Oregon offense. UCLA's offense is predicated on the pass whereas Oregon's offense was predicated on the run. UCLA runs the same zone read concepts but it's a mere part of, not the catalyst of. There are far more progression responsibilities in the UCLA offense than the Oregon or Baylor offense. Hundley can succeed in an NFL offense because he's running a toned down version of an NFL offense. Brock Osweiler ran the same offense his final year at ASU as did Phillip Rivers at NC State same coach.

There is no Andrew Luck in this draft but there is also better or as good of talent in this draft than last year. Manziel was the,primary driving force behind last year's hype and Mariota is driving that hype this year, the problem is reality stands in stark contrast to the hype and no one has the balls to say it yet because reality would stand in stark contrast to the narrative they've so eloquently painted the last two years for Mariota.

Now then last year was a year of obscene hype about one of the greatest QB classes of all-time, but history rarely ever repeats itself in terms of true success. If you genuinely compare and contrast last year with this year you'll find that last year isn't all that different from this year. Hundley is equivalent to Bridgewater and should probably be the only QB off the board I the first round. Most of the other kids fall into that David Carr mold where they have talent and a chance which means they could wind up going either way.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I've watched most of Hubdley's games as I live in LA and my GF graduated from the same HS. He has some serious issues with reading D and accuracy. I don't think he will be much better than EJ Manuel.

To compare Hundley to Manuel is pretty asinine and smacks of a bitter USC fan. Manuel was productive for one year at Florida State. Hundley has been productive in a big way all three years at UCLA. Hundley has been consistent and accurate each and every year with a career 67% completion percentage. This year he experiences an uptick in completion percentage and people want to pass it off as him throwing more screen passes. Those screen passes have been a part of Noel Mazone's offense for the last four years including his ASU tenure where he coached up Osweiler.

Hundley's biggest problem is he was the most sacked QB in college football the last two years and his play at times has been a reflection of that constant pass rush pressure in his face. He's had a god awful offensive line in front of him. Is Hundley perfect? No, but he's still the best QB in this draft.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
If he's having problems reading defenses at the speed of the NCAA game, that's an enormous red flag.

He has. Career 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio, 75 TDs to 25 career INTs, he reads defenses just fine.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not uncommon for QBs projected to go in the late first or even second to get drafted in the top 10 or 15. You could be getting a star or a bum, but the possibility of landing a hit at the most important position makes it the one position worth overdrafting for at the top end of the draft. I wouldn't object to taking him if we traded down a few picks and picked up an extra second, or something like that.

But I think Fox and Fangio lobby Pace for Landon Collins and make him into a pro bowl safety.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not that Hundley can't read defenses, it's that he runs a very easy offense. They don't ask him to make crazy reads from a mile long playbook. You could read into that and say he is not smart, but I think they wanted to keep it easy for the entire offense and keep simple communication.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Let's get some things straight right now about the talent in this draft class, there is talent to be had if someone knows where to look for it. Right now every draftnik is echoing the same talking points of everyone else on the internet. The consensus is being built because everyone is saying the same basic thing that everyone else is saying without really having watched football.

The main problem right now is Mariota has been the runaway consensus number one overall pick for the last two years because he's been the most exciting player in college football. A lot of people watched that thrilling Michigan State middle,of the afternoon game and how Oregon came back and that cemented his legacy. Problem is. Mariota didn't do anything NFL worthy in that game. Now that Mariota's game was exposed no one knows where to go with him. They've propped him up for two straight years as as good or better than Kapernick, in the meantime Kapernick has been exposed thus hurting the best part of Mariota's game even further.

Last year Johnny Manziel was overrated for some of his in-game heroics and moxy much like Tim Tebow and Mariota. What Manziel had that was a better than Tebow was better a better release. Manziel never should have gone in the first round, and Mariota shouldn't go in the first round. What Mariota has is better size than Manziel.

Now the bottom line:

Brett Hundley is the best QB in this draft and he's a better overall prospect than Teddy Bridgewater, Bridgewater was more refined at this point is the main difference here. Hundley is better than Mariota and it's not even close in terms of pro level talent. Hundley should be the first QB off the board.

Then there's of course Jameis Winston who became a turnover machine as his ego got bigger. He's another one of the best QBs in this draft but likely undraftable because he's a head case.

Mannion is a hair less better type of player than Blake Bortles. Slightly less athletic but as good if not a better arm, but has experience dropping back from under center ala what most NFL QBs do now and what everyone else is saying is a short coming of Mariota and others. Mannion is being knocked for his lack of movement in the pocket while at the same time not being any credit for playing in a pro style offense.

Petty is in the same mold as a David Carr. Same type of offense overall same type of prospect. There's talent in this QB class, one just has to know where to look and find it.

Why is Hudnley the best? Simple, despite being in a spread offense it's closer to an NFL offense than it is to the Oregon offense. UCLA's offense is predicated on the pass whereas Oregon's offense was predicated on the run. UCLA runs the same zone read concepts but it's a mere part of, not the catalyst of. There are far more progression responsibilities in the UCLA offense than the Oregon or Baylor offense. Hundley can succeed in an NFL offense because he's running a toned down version of an NFL offense. Brock Osweiler ran the same offense his final year at ASU as did Phillip Rivers at NC State same coach.

There is no Andrew Luck in this draft but there is also better or as good of talent in this draft than last year. Manziel was the,primary driving force behind last year's hype and Mariota is driving that hype this year, the problem is reality stands in stark contrast to the hype and no one has the balls to say it yet because reality would stand in stark contrast to the narrative they've so eloquently painted the last two years for Mariota.

Now then last year was a year of obscene hype about one of the greatest QB classes of all-time, but history rarely ever repeats itself in terms of true success. If you genuinely compare and contrast last year with this year you'll find that last year isn't all that different from this year. Hundley is equivalent to Bridgewater and should probably be the only QB off the board I the first round. Most of the other kids fall into that David Carr mold where they have talent and a chance which means they could wind up going either way.

Winston undraftable?

He won't last to pick #3.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mediocre at best draft for QB's when all we can talk about is maybe 3 going in the first round.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many times do we have to listen to the same old, same old? The upside with Mariota is that he's an excellent athlete and hard worker. He knows how to read defenses but in college would avoid throwing into smaller windows in an effort to be extra safe with the ball. There is some kind of development that goes on at the NFL level. Some QBs will catch on faster than others. Some QBs, like Kaepernick, wait a bit too long before seeking the help he's seeking this off season. Some, like Manziel, will likely never be willing to put in the extra work or commit as much as a successful QB needs to be committed to the game.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Now the bottom line:

Stealing people's blogs again?

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
To compare Hundley to Manuel is pretty asinine and smacks of a bitter USC fan. Manuel was productive for one year at Florida State. Hundley has been productive in a big way all three years at UCLA. Hundley has been consistent and accurate each and every year with a career 67% completion percentage. This year he experiences an uptick in completion percentage and people want to pass it off as him throwing more screen passes. Those screen passes have been a part of Noel Mazone's offense for the last four years including his ASU tenure where he coached up Osweiler.

Hundley's biggest problem is he was the most sacked QB in college football the last two years and his play at times has been a reflection of that constant pass rush pressure in his face. He's had a god awful offensive line in front of him. Is Hundley perfect? No, but he's still the best QB in this draft.

Actually I am a Texas A&M who hates USC. Trust me I've been rooting for this kid since day 1, but he just doesn't seem like he has the skills to succeed at the NFL level. It's clear you disagree with me, but I'm just giving an unbiased (actually probably biased slightly in his favor) account of what I've watched over the past 3 years. After last season I thought he had a great shot to improve and develop into a legit top of the draft QB prospect. There is a reason he isn't rated any higher and this is a weak year for QB's.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
A BF51 post with no humble brags and straight football talk...

FB04VCg.gif

Obviously I'm in complete agreement in regards to Hundley. Huge steal at the top of the second where he'll likely go. God willing Pace will make some sort of deal to position the Bears in front of the Jets and snake him before they do.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Actually I am a Texas A&M who hates USC. Trust me I've been rooting for this kid since day 1, but he just doesn't seem like he has the skills to succeed at the NFL level. It's clear you disagree with me, but I'm just giving an unbiased (actually probably biased slightly in his favor) account of what I've watched over the past 3 years. After last season I thought he had a great shot to improve and develop into a legit top of the draft QB prospect. There is a reason he isn't rated any higher and this is a weak year for QB's.

I find that hard to believe given the comparison to EJ Manuel. About the only thing they have in common is they're both black QBs.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Mariota is a better NFL prospect than Hundley.

You are correct, Hundley has more experience in a more pro like system. It's a very simplistic system but pro like system nonetheless. The thing is, in that system for 3 years, Hundley showed no real improvement in his ability to read defenses. Many scouting reports say that the offense he runs is heavily predicated on pre-snap reads, he locks onto his primary receiver and a majority of the time if he isn't open he will just take off running. You can't do that in the NFL.

With Mariota he has all the same exceptional physical attributes that Hundley has but it's really unknown whether he can make those kinds of reads and go through progressions or not because he simply wasn't asked too.

I would rather take the unknown and the untouched product. Mariota probably hasn't had a lot of coaching about going through progressions or going through several reads. This is both good and bad. Bad obviously because he doesn't have the experience. Good because you know he will learn the proper way from NFL coaches who run pro offenses and he won't develop any bad habits.

I don't want any part of any QB in this draft though unless it's Garrett Grayson.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
didn't you know, every year is a bad year to draft a QB, except the year Luck came out.
I don't see a reason why a team would ever draft a QB ever!!!!

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How many times do we have to listen to the same old, same old? The upside with Mariota is that he's an excellent athlete and hard worker. He knows how to read defenses but in college would avoid throwing into smaller windows in an effort to be extra safe with the ball. There is some kind of development that goes on at the NFL level. Some QBs will catch on faster than others. Some QBs, like Kaepernick, wait a bit too long before seeking the help he's seeking this off season. Some, like Manziel, will likely never be willing to put in the extra work or commit as much as a successful QB needs to be committed to the game.

You cant avoid small windows in the nfl. Therr are plenty of athletes who play qb

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
I find that hard to believe given the comparison to EJ Manuel. About the only thing they have in common is they're both black QBs.

You think I'm lying about liking A&M and hating SC? Just because I don't think he will be a good pro doesn't mean you can call me a liar, you are pretty sensative about the evaluation of a 22 year old man.