Briggs Coming Back?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What place would an old 4/3 WLB have in our new 3/4 scheme?

Assuming they do move to a 3-4 (nothing is set in stone that we know of and Fangio has run both base fronts during his career) the Will is just the weak side ILB most of the time, this does change depending on personnel/specific scheme though.

Basically, the LB roles don't change all that much for the Mike and Will in a 3-4 -- the Sam has to be a better rusher and Joker/Jack/whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit comes in as a primarily rushing/run stopping LB taking over a RDE-like role (usually this is the more oversized backer in most schemes [Aldon Smith, Hali, Mercilus, Kerrigan, Kruger, etc.]).

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A lot of you guys worshipped each and every move that Emery and Trestman made from the moment they came onboard. You guys got the Cutler contract you wanted, you got rid of Urlacher, you got rid of Hester, it was offense offense and more offense, and look where it got us. Suddenly you hated management and Cutler when we were 5-11, maybe a few games sooner.

Along comes John Fox who understands exactly what went on here. Briggs didn't fuck over this organization, it fucked over him by bringing in morons to run the team. Fox wants to "fix" what the Bears did to Urlacher. Many of you loved what the Bears did to Urlacher and still don't think anything was wrong. My guess is Fox will also want to fix things with Briggs.

You may not like it, you may not like me for that matter, but things are going to swing back to a place that many of you are not going to like. It sucked for me for the last few years, watching these guys ruin this team. My guess is you guys aren't going to like a lot of things in the months ahead. But, its for the benefit of the team.

Urlacher and Hester were too expensive. Great Chicago Bears. Great careers. Loved them both. But as bad as some Emery moves were, the decision to not renew expensive veterans wasn't a bad one.

Maybe Urlacher could have been retained cheaply enough - Brian's version now seems to say it was possible, but I don't know he's being 100% truthful when saying it was only about how Emery treated him. I believe it was poorly handled by Emery, but Urlacher and his agent threw down the gauntlet, set his price way too high, and couldn't swallow their pride and come back for a fraction of what he thought he was worth.

What is with you and all this "you guys" shit?

Talk about just trolling.

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
A lot of you guys worshipped each and every move that Emery and Trestman made from the moment they came onboard. You guys got the Cutler contract you wanted, you got rid of Urlacher, you got rid of Hester, it was offense offense and more offense, and look where it got us. Suddenly you hated management and Cutler when we were 5-11, maybe a few games sooner.

Along comes John Fox who understands exactly what went on here. Briggs didn't fuck over this organization, it fucked over him by bringing in morons to run the team. Fox wants to "fix" what the Bears did to Urlacher. Many of you loved what the Bears did to Urlacher and still don't think anything was wrong. My guess is Fox will also want to fix things with Briggs.

You may not like it, you may not like me for that matter, but things are going to swing back to a place that many of you are not going to like. It sucked for me for the last few years, watching these guys ruin this team. My guess is you guys aren't going to like a lot of things in the months ahead. But, its for the benefit of the team.

I don't give a fuck if they make up with Urlacher, Briggs, etc. I don't give a fuck if we win with defense. I don't give a fuck if I like what happens. I give tons of fucks about beating Green Bay and making the playoffs.

And your 3rd paragraph.....I read it in Ric Flair's voice.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Many of you loved what the Bears did to Urlacher and still don't think anything was wrong.

Do you mean when they offered him two million dollars? Which was two million dollars more than any other team. The Bears didn't fuck Urlacher around, his agent did.

I don't think Briggs has anything left, but WTF do I know. I hope Briggs spends the off season working his ass off and forces this new group to make a tough decision, and I hope they make the right one. If they decide to let him go, I hope they're right and Lance doesn't act like a bitch about it.

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
can he cover punts because thats the only way that fucktard should be on this team.

cozzy1

Liked Posts:
Anyone know of his teaching ability with the younger guys in the team?

If he is a good leader off the field, and players are learning from him (and let's be honest, he has, or had, a fantastic skill set), then i would certainly think he's worth keeping on.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
Nope. His last season proved to me where his head is at. I'd rather see a young player getting the reps. On the other hand, I would welcome Tillman back with open arms. Two players at similar places, but one has been nothing but class. I love what 55 gave to the team, and he's an all time Bear great. The problem is he's all time selfish too. Good luck with the BBQ business.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What? Fans got excited for the moves Emery was making. Why wouldn't the same happen for Pace and Fox? I don't get this. Most people are already very excited about the coaching hires. Why would being wrong about Trestman affect that? I have not seen anyone that is holding out loyalty for Emery and/or Trestman.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have moved on from the guys who moved on from the old defensive core. This is no longer your father's Oldsmobile. Briggs will not take vet minimum and I wouldn't use a roster spot for him in a rebuilding year even if he would.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
"In my opinion, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to (bring Briggs back to the Bears)," Briggs said on Monday's edition of SportsTalk Live. "Obviously, in the Draft, that's probably going to be one of the focal points is getting a linebacker, (but) a guy who's been around, a guy who understands football, who's a great football player and can play at a high level still, to me, is enticing. A guy like John Fox — love the hire — and hopefully I get a call and I get an opportunity to come back and play in Chicago, where I'm supposed to be."

I personally hope Briggs gets his wish. I know many here don't like him. I still believe the problem was the management.

Bring him back Fox!

We need to move past these old, slow players. I liked Briggs as much as the next guy (well, wasn't a fan of BBQ-gate) but if we want to bring back an old linebacker who can no longer play the game, let's bring back Butkus.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
How about Fangio evaluates what talent he still has on the field within his system. Wouldn't that make the most sense? If he can't play anymore with a sound formula like Fangio's then we cut him in August and nothing is lost.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing about Briggs returning excite me, 3 years ago sure, but not anymore. I'm way over paying ageing vets on this roster, I'd rather sink or swim with youth.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Briggs#Professional_career

this guy always acted like a twat after his original deal ended. great player, sure, but royal crybaby. it still blows my mind there were players on the team with their cunts in knots that Lovie Smith was gone.
Wow-really? After this shitshow the last two years your are still surprised that players were pissed about firing Lovie?

Looks to me as if they were right.

No way IMO Briggs all of a sudden gets motivated to play at a high level again our is willing to take a pay cut. Hes NEVER shown any such attitude for several years now.

He is just campaigning for a couple more million so he can open another BBQ joint.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Rather bring back Peanut than Briggs!

I would not object to bringing back Peanut if he is willing to move to safety.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Guys like Briggs, Urlacher and Hester may not have bought into Pace and Fox after Lovie either. Be happy that it imploded last year so that we were able to get the staff we have after only 2 with Trestman. Sometimes it needs to be darkest before the dawn. This hire seems very different than any we've had since the McCaskeys took over.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How about Fangio evaluates what talent he still has on the field within his system. Wouldn't that make the most sense? If he can't play anymore with a sound formula like Fangio's then we cut him in August and nothing is lost.

Well, this would require signing him to a contract to begin with which was kind of of the point of the thread.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
"In my opinion, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to (bring Briggs back to the Bears)," Briggs said on Monday's edition of SportsTalk Live. "Obviously, in the Draft, that's probably going to be one of the focal points is getting a linebacker, (but) a guy who's been around, a guy who understands football, who's a great football player and can play at a high level still, to me, is enticing. A guy like John Fox — love the hire — and hopefully I get a call and I get an opportunity to come back and play in Chicago, where I'm supposed to be."

I personally hope Briggs gets his wish. I know many here don't like him. I still believe the problem was the management.

Bring him back Fox!

Yes. The problem was the management.

The management made him come back from his injury last year in terrible shape.

The management made him show up to camp out of shape and overweight.

The management made him, the captain/leader of the defense, take the very first practice day off with the complete roster, to open up a terrible restaurant.

The management made him act like a petulant child freely admitting that he didn't pay attention in meetings/etc.

The management made him develop a phantom 'rib injury' that no one could really quantify, but kept him out multiple games at the most critical point at the season.

Always the team player, this Double Nickels.

No. Don't want him back. Nice career. Career because a shell of it's former self when #54 didn't' comeback and their daddy got fired. He'll be 35 years old next season for God's sake.

Bring him back if you want mediocrity and old, out of shape, oft hurt and disinterested players. And more of the same shit to mediocre Chicago Bears.

It is time to get young and fast. That is not Lance Briggs. Or Peanut Tillman. Or Roberto Garza. Or Jared Allen.