Switching to a 3-4: Is it the right move?

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
I'm really hoping Jared Allen will be so put off by this that he will redo his contract to facilitate some type of trade.(The Bears would probably get crap back like a conditinal 7th, but i just want him gone)

Thunderfoot

Liked Posts:
Funny, I don't think our personnel fit's a 4-3 defense either, not with that shit show we had to watch the past 2 years.

A capable offense will fix a lot of that. A few quality O-linemen will be a big step up to help that.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
To be honest, based on the Twitter debate I had with EHC, a lot of what he had been saying seemed like either wishful thinking on remaining a 4-3, else overvaluing (in my opinion) mediocre players or players who have not had an impact, or as much of an impact as you would have liked.

He seemed particularly concerned over Sutton and Paea. I was not, and figured there isn't enough here that would be starter worthy on a contending playoff team that would warrant keeping a 4-3.

Everything is screaming a 3-4 base right now. To deny this or rail against it is to slam one's face into a brick wall, hoping the wall gives out before their head does.

I happen to think Paea would make a fine DE in a 3-4. He's quick, stout, and incredibly strong. The only thing he lacks is ideal length, but since his primary duty will not be rushing around OTs, that's less of an issue.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well that's the whole debate, there are no players here for a 3-4. But our players suck for a 4-3 or any other defense. So, now is as good a time as any to change it up.

The switch to a 3-4 base immediately adds value to several players including Shea McLellin and Cornelius Washington.

Ego could play nose, Houston can play 5 tech (need another one). The main players it leaves outside of the conversation are Paea and Sutton, unless Paea is good enough to function as an undersized nose like Ratliff did in Dallas. And of course, there's still Ratliff.

For a defense that couldn't play 4-3 worth a crap, I don't see a huge personnel issue with changing to a 3-4 base.

Madden

Liked Posts:
3-4
4-3

Lq5acmo.gif

I think we will run a hybrid defense.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If he can get our D to top 10 or even better top 5, I don't care if he runs a 2-5 or a 5-2 or whatever.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 2m2 minutes ago
#Bears are keeping Clint Hurtt as outside linebackers coach and that is a good hint toward a shift to a 3-4. http://trib.in/1Ep8YwA

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Tweeted this to EHC but had to share.

Irony - Put out article in the AM that the Bears should stay with a 4-3; Bears hire OLB coach in afternoon.

Bears straight trollin EHC :p

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm worried that we'll start blitzing and actually start getting to Aaron Rodgers, when we could just use that MUG look and pretend like we're blitzing, and then not. I'm also worried that our corners will start covering WRs, when we should be giving them 10-yard cushions, just in case.

Our D gave up about 28 points per game. If we go to a 3-4, it could get worse. We should have kept Mel.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fangio will find a way to incorporate the guys who can play and don't fit perfectly.

The others will be jettisoned.

This thing is getting remade whether we want it to or not. Might as well let the cook decide on the dish he is going to make.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
i think the difference between a one gap 4-3 under or over or 3-4 is not significant. i don't think you'll see the bears trying to move to a two gap 3-4 defense. i don't see any reason it would take two years to transfer from a one gap 4-3 to a one gap 3-4 from a scheme perspective.

the nose in fangio's scheme as been more or less interchangeable. a bunch of different guys have done the job and none of them have been "special" players. houston can be a the left end/5 technique.

the big thing would be to get the stand up pass rushing weakside outside linebacker. luckily the draft is full of potential fits there. they'd need to find a more versatile right end. fangio likes to do a lot of different things with his fronts. the right end is often a 3 technique but he can be outside the tackle or asked to two gap over the tackle. the bears will need to find someone with more length then guys like sutton or paea possess.

i'm not seeing what's going to make this a hard transition. bears defense has been as bad as it's ever been. they need to get talent regardless of the scheme they run.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Do people forget Paea is a free agent. He is not even on the team.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would help all of you guys fav player. Shea.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Bears linebackers that can blitz and get to the QB- and cornerbacks that can play press coverage. Difficult concepts to get accustomed to. Death to the Tampa 2!

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears linebackers that can blitz and get to the QB- and cornerbacks that can play press coverage. Difficult concepts to get accustomed to. Death to the Tampa 2!

Imagine the sacks and numbers Urlacher would have amassed if he wasn't in the Tampa II?