Alabama safety Landon Collins All-22 coaches tape vs. LSU 2014

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
No, this is real defense:
One dimensional? Have you watched a single Alabama game in the past 3 years? Collins is excellent in coverage, not just good, excellent. He also obliterates people coming over the middle, he makes tackles in the open field, he blitzes, he chases people people from behind. He's also an athletic freak who runs a sub-4.4 40 yard dash and has a 44-inch vertical. He also ran the 100 meter in 10.28, which is olympic-sprinter level speed. He's also a true junior.

Collins is a fucking stud, and probably the best safety prospect to come out in recent memory. People just don't like drafting safeties top 10 overall even when safety is a glaring need and you have a guy who has the chance to be a once-in-a-generation type talent available. People are weird.
Quick reply to this message REPLY

Interesting I just read he has a 36-inch vertical sounds as though someone is making things up as they go along. Perhaps,the real discussion he keeps hinting at are his potential combine numbers as if that's supposed,to convince me of something over the All-22 tape.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
where the fuck do you get your sources to one-up people with? youtube and a starbucks in romeoville?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Collins wasn't really at his best during the LSU and Ohio State games. I think the Florida game is more typical (also, replay of the nice one-handed pick at 4:24):

[video=youtube;oit9Eygy9oY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oit9Eygy9oY[/video]

Soooooooo he wasn't at his best against in two of the most important games of the season for Alabama. But against one of the weakest and most mediocre Florida teams of perhaps the last 25 years he was on his game. Something just isn't adding up.

Liked Posts:
Color me unimpressed. He doesn't have much in the way of coverage responsibilities and he's an average in the box safety. It's only one game but I continue to see a prospect that is not of top-10 value. Maybe some more coaches tape will make it's way online in the next four months so we can get a better look at him, but for now I'd put him behind Pryor. I see some quick feet, a somewhat smooth pedal and transition, but I'm not blown away by his ability. I was honestly expecting to see something affirmed all that I keep hearing about Collins, but didn't see it in this game.

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=72ZBT5Tl9yc[/video]

This pick would drive me bat shit crazy, especially since the FS from Ole Miss is basically the same damn player, except that he's labeled as a FS instead of a SS, & should still be on the board in the second round or early third. The Bears really need foundation players on their front 7 that make the players around them better more than they need DB's. Especially now that there's a good chance they will implement a lot of new looks from a hybrid system that will require them to add some different types of defenders like pass rushing LB's & more 2 gap D-linemen. This was why I still don't care for the Fuller pick. Yes he is a decent CB, but drafting a CB last year, like drafting a safety in the first this year does little to make the defense better as a whole in the manner that a blue chip MIKE LB or pass rusher would do.

IMO, Collins would be a horrible pick in the first considering what should be available throughout every round with the Bears picking fairly early throughout every round. Personally Shelton would be an excellent pick if the big name pass rushers are off the board.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As I have been lobbying for weeks now, the kid from Ole Miss is much better! Prewitt is better in coverage, he hits harder(but doesn't commit stupid penalties), and is a on field leader.

Liked Posts:
As I have been lobbying for weeks now, the kid from Ole Miss is much better! Prewitt is better in coverage, he hits harder(but doesn't commit stupid penalties), and is a on field leader.

Yeah I like him too.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yeah I like him too.

Unfortunately, given the dearth of quality safeties available at the top of this draft, Prewitt will almost certainly get bumped up into the mid/late first round out of the Bears' reach.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With all these players supposedly jumping up the board, maybe Winston will fall :shrug:

Nah

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
No, this is real defense:
One dimensional? Have you watched a single Alabama game in the past 3 years? Collins is excellent in coverage, not just good, excellent. He also obliterates people coming over the middle, he makes tackles in the open field, he blitzes, he chases people people from behind. He's also an athletic freak who runs a sub-4.4 40 yard dash and has a 44-inch vertical. He also ran the 100 meter in 10.28, which is olympic-sprinter level speed. He's also a true junior.

Collins is a fucking stud, and probably the best safety prospect to come out in recent memory. People just don't like drafting safeties top 10 overall even when safety is a glaring need and you have a guy who has the chance to be a once-in-a-generation type talent available. People are weird.
Quick reply to this message REPLY

Are you fkn kidding me?

I've watched probably 6 entire games with Collins all against good to great competition and what stands out is his LACK OF BALLHAWKING AND CLOSING ON ROUTES.

He can hit; no one said he couldn't.

He can play well running downhill into the box and striking people; no one said he couldn't.

He would have made a wonderful SS in the 80s and 90s....probably probowl quality.

I don't care how fast he runs in a straight line for 100Ms......that's barely relevant to NFL play.

I do think he is an excellent athlete; we'll see what the 40 time is.

I have no problem taking a safety at #7, but he better be a homerun in coverage with the way the NFL is going these days.....it's clear this guy isn't that.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
have to just hope and trust pace is doing his due diligence and is gonna find the right guy for the bears at this point

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This pick would drive me bat shit crazy, especially since the FS from Ole Miss is basically the same damn player, except that he's labeled as a FS instead of a SS, & should still be on the board in the second round or early third. The Bears really need foundation players on their front 7 that make the players around them better more than they need DB's. Especially now that there's a good chance they will implement a lot of new looks from a hybrid system that will require them to add some different types of defenders like pass rushing LB's & more 2 gap D-linemen. This was why I still don't care for the Fuller pick. Yes he is a decent CB, but drafting a CB last year, like drafting a safety in the first this year does little to make the defense better as a whole in the manner that a blue chip MIKE LB or pass rusher would do.

IMO, Collins would be a horrible pick in the first considering what should be available throughout every round with the Bears picking fairly early throughout every round. Personally Shelton would be an excellent pick if the big name pass rushers are off the board.

I'll quietly mention Demarious Randall from ASU is an excellent center field defender and a very good run stopper, and let the board decide from there.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'll quietly mention Demarious Randall from ASU is an excellent center field defender and a very good run stopper, and let the board decide from there.
I realize it is still early, but I'd be interested in a thread of some late round sleepers.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Are you fkn kidding me?

I've watched probably 6 entire games with Collins all against good to great competition and what stands out is his LACK OF BALLHAWKING AND CLOSING ON ROUTES.

He can hit; no one said he couldn't.

He can play well running downhill into the box and striking people; no one said he couldn't.

He would have made a wonderful SS in the 80s and 90s....probably probowl quality.

I don't care how fast he runs in a straight line for 100Ms......that's barely relevant to NFL play.

I do think he is an excellent athlete; we'll see what the 40 time is.

I have no problem taking a safety at #7, but he better be a homerun in coverage with the way the NFL is going these days.....it's clear this guy isn't that.
No safety covers like a corner unless he was a corner who switched. Collins can play coverage like most safeties. Center field, TE, slots, zone.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watched the first 2:30. Nothing special in that short sample size. He's better physically than anyone on the Bears' roster right now but I didn't see anything that said top 10 pick.

I think people get too caught up on this. It's not like you're saying Collins is a 4th rounder who the Bears are looking at. If Collins is supposed to go at #15 or #20 but the Bears biggest need is safety and the Bears aren't picking at #15 or #20 why should it matter that the Bears take him at #7? You're taking a first rounded rated player with your pick in the first round.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think people get too caught up on this. It's not like you're saying Collins is a 4th rounder who the Bears are looking at. If Collins is supposed to go at #15 or #20 but the Bears biggest need is safety and the Bears aren't picking at #15 or #20 why should it matter that the Bears take him at #7? You're taking a first rounded rated player with your pick in the first round.
I can't speak to why this was a prevailing thought was around pre-Pace, but I see what you're saying. Now that Pace is around, and he has already mentioned taking the best player available, I can understand why people would say no to him, because ultimately he won't be the best player available at #7. That being said, another thread has Scouts Inc. rating him at #14 so is it really a reach to pick him at #7??

I will say that I hate this argument I've seen multiple times that you don't pick x-position at x-draft spot. It's just one thing I do not get.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't speak to why this was a prevailing thought was around pre-Pace, but I see what you're saying. Now that Pace is around, and he has already mentioned taking the best player available, I can understand why people would say no to him, because ultimately he won't be the best player available at #7. That being said, another thread has Scouts Inc. rating him at #14 so is it really a reach to pick him at #7??

I will say that I hate this argument I've seen multiple times that you don't pick x-position at x-draft spot. It's just one thing I do not get.

Maybe Pace will have him evaluated as that though?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Besides Prewitt, Derron Smith from Fresno st is my favorite safety in the draft. The guy is probably the best true FS in this class. Flat out stud in coverage with great ball skills.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're right, and that is a fair point. Which puts a lot of people here in a fun position.

This. I think too often people project their opinions of players onto the GM etc. You may not think this guy will be BPA because of your feeling on him but that doesn't mean Pace feels the same way

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This. I think too often people project their opinions of players onto the GM etc. You may not think this guy will be BPA because of your feeling on him but that doesn't mean Pace feels the same way
And really, maybe this idea of 'You don't draft a safety/nose tackle/whatever in the top ten' is part of the reason for unsuccessful drafts for some teams.