Broncos likely to let Safety Moore walk in Free Agency

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not that this is shocking news by any means, just thought I'd post. It still kind of gave me a chubby cause the only way this roster improves at safety this off season is through Free Agency... you have to believe the BEARS have to be a front runner for him unless him and Foxy didn't get along or something.

Rahim Moore - DB - Broncos

ESPN's Jeff Legwold expects the Broncos to let FS Rahim Moore walk in free agency.

Moore tied for the team lead in interceptions in 2014, but with Demaryius Thomas also headed for free agency, he isn't the team's top priority. Denver is already loaded at defensive back with Pro Bowlers Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward, so it isn't the end of the world if they lose Moore. The Eagles, Ravens and Redskins could all use upgrades in the secondary.

SOURCE: ROTOWORLD

Liked Posts:
Liked Posts:
IMO Moore should be priority #1 for bringing for in an outside Free Agent. That will allow the Bears to fill what I believe is a bigger void for a pass rushing OLB, standard ILB, or NT in the draft. I thought it was discouraging last season when the Bears picked Fuller instead CJ Mosley, or trading up for Donald who ended up being the best player from the draft. With QB being a big need & most important position in the game, along with OLB, & NT being what I personally believe are the two most important pieces in a 3-4, I would just find it down right maddening if the Bears picked a DB with their first pick over a pass rushing OLB, NT or QB if one falls.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Semantics, the idiots argument.

In this case, if you plan for him to be a guy oh you say holds the spot 1 MAYBE 2 years, he is a stop gap guy. He's still young, if you get him on a 4-5 year deal and intend to play him for that range, which is a possible view, that's in no way a stop gap player. So really it matters that he isn't considered that.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Not sure if this has been posted before, here's a link to a fan site scouting report.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/2/21/5402552/scouting-the-broncos-vets-safety-rahim-moore

I wouldn't mind signing him but I'm not expecting a Pro Bowl player. He's a great stop-gap vet until we can draft a replacement.

I think he is likely more than a stopgap but regardless, thank you for sharing the article. I haven't watched a ton of his game so that was helpful and insightful. It sounds like the weakest part of his game is the mental aspect, which makes me nervous for Fangio's scheme. The podcast that got shared on the board this week said that often in Fangio's scheme, DBs run man/zone options that don't get decided until after receivers reveal their route tree. That sounds like a lot of thinking in the middle of the play, which sounds exactly like Moore's biggest weakness. He might be a good athlete and a good player, but not a good fit for Fangio's scheme.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
you can sign a guy to a 5 year deal and then cut him after 2 years of the deal or so, thus making the player a stop gap at the position. happens all the time in the NFL...lure a player in free agency with a 5 year deal, knowing that you have no intentions of the player actually seeing all 5 years of the deal. NFL = not for long

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
A solid FA pick up if the money is not excessive.......Go for it Pace!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
you can sign a guy to a 5 year deal and then cut him after 2 years of the deal or so, thus making the player a stop gap at the position. happens all the time in the NFL...lure a player in free agency with a 5 year deal, knowing that you have no intentions of the player actually seeing all 5 years of the deal. NFL = not for long

You sign Moore so you don't have to address the position in the next 2 years.

You sign Moore so he will be starting in year 3-4 and you don't hav to spend a high pick at his position.

Jared Allen was a stop gap until the Bears could get a real pass rusher.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
it's a weak safety class in the draft so a free agent move here makes a lot of sense. moore has upside and is a good cover safety. i'd look at moore or dan'norris searcy. neither are great but along with mundy would give you flexibility in the draft. with two solid starters at safety you can take one in the draft if there's good value.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
A stop-gap was a guy like DJ Williams when taking over for Brian Urlacher. Not a 25 year old FS w/ upside taking over for the worst group of Safeties this team has ever seen. Give me a break.

Semantics! also, you are over estimating his ability. I don't see any upside to Moore. He's an average starter who offers very little upside.

Veteran is some one who has long experience in a particular field. 5 years, imo, is long enough. Again, it's semantics. Get over it.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Semantics! also, you are over estimating his ability. I don't see any upside to Moore. He's an average starter who offers very little upside.

Veteran is some one who has long experience in a particular field. 5 years, imo, is long enough. Again, it's semantics. Get over it.

He's better than every safety we have and younger than most, I wouldn't call that a "stop gap vet".

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
He's better than every safety we have and younger than most, I wouldn't call that a "stop gap vet".

Conte is a better free safety but can't stay on the field. Moore is on the same level as Mundy, average starter nothing more.

Also, we'll probably want to replace him in 2-3 years.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Semantics is debating how your use of the term semantics here is wrong. This is semantics, if you guys had the same idea but disagreed of the term stop-gap, it'd be semantics debate.

You think he's not better than Conte and isn't a potential long term starter. YOU think he is a stop gap player. Several others here have indicated thinking otherwise. Think he is a better FS option than Conte not just for health ability and is young enough and healthy enough to potentially still improve being a starter in the league. That's not semantics, its evaluation of a players ability being different. And you're in this thread at least, more on the slim side than the majority side, not that it means the majority is right.

You've just sat there and bickered about the ideas yourself not making a case for why you'd think he's a short term solution. Even your article posted considers him above average STILL with potential to grow. Which makes him a guy you would think to invest in. He's not like Mundy because Mundy is a guy you sign knowing he in no likely scenario would be getting better in the upcoming years after his signing.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Conte is a better free safety but can't stay on the field. Moore is on the same level as Mundy, average starter nothing more.

Also, we'll probably want to replace him in 2-3 years.

If by better you actually mean a fair bit worse at playing football but with lighter skin and cooler tattoos, you would be right.

SMDH, what the fk is wrong with this fan base....do they watch football?