CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So...since pitchers/catchers are reporting, I've only posted some snippets here, but it's a great story in many ways. It isn't a long read, but I hope you click the link and read the whole article. Enjoy it.

article said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-lincecum-turns-to-his-father-in-effort-to-rediscover-old-form-005344438.html

Tim Lincecum turns to his father in effort to rediscover old form
Taken as a whole, Lincecum’s season was the third in a row that was not to the standards of his former being, that being the pitcher who’d won Cy Young Awards in his first two full seasons and been generally masterful for two seasons after that.

He lost velocity. He lost command. Pitches came and went. So, too, by the end of 2014, did his place in the rotation. At just 30, his career had reached a dangerous place – he would get better or he would begin to flop around as the guy who used to be Tim Lincecum.

In those recent troubling seasons, Lincecum said, he’d cooled on his father, the man who’d engineered one of the strangest and – for a time – most successful deliveries in the game. Somehow, Chris Lincecum had turned his waifish boy into a ferocious power pitcher. He’d found miles per hour where perhaps no one else could have. Also, from these soaring, swooping, somewhat startling and wholly unique mechanics, he’d drawn precision.

The problem was, when the mechanics went wrong, there weren’t a lot of people who could fix them. .....

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So everyone is 20 years old on this forum and didn't find this article to be of interest?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
So everyone is 20 years old on this forum and didn't find this article to be of interest?

1--he doesn't play for the team that I root for, though I am a fan of Big Time, Timmy Jim.....

2--His body has caught up to him in his coil/unwind style pitching. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's been ridden like a prize horse, and produced as one.

3--Its sad, but hopeful--but this is happening. Power pitchers hitting 30 and beginning to lose their power arms when in recent memory we think much higher of them. Verlander, CC, Lincecum, and more.

They're stepping out of the sun. They're no longer this generations' studs. Now we'll begin to see Harvey, Gray, Fernandez, and others. It happens.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You've hit on what I wonder, Z. Is it really mechanical and can the Dad get him back to form or has age caught up with him. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe with PED's taken out of the game we will see more power pitchers falling out at a younger age. It could make guys like Hendricks go up in value due to durability.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I believe with PED's taken out of the game we will see more power pitchers falling out at a younger age. It could make guys like Hendricks go up in value due to durability.
I also believe this will happen. ..

Pitchers over 30 wont be able to fall back on those drugs like some of the ones before them did to be able to perform above par and stay healthy. .

The maddux type starters will be the most successful and durable ones in their 30s going forward. ..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Interesting theory, CSF77. That might be a good thing for baseball.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Z has it right. If you looked at his mechanics he was one of those that had to put every bit of himself into a pitch to be successful. While this worked at 24 it seemed inevitable that he would lose velocity as time went on. Not a rip at Lincecum, he is only like 5'11 and 165 pounds, not the protoypical fireball pitcher.

I wouldn't mind being the guy even if I knew I was starting to decline at 30. He certainly did a lot with what he was given.