Drafting Brett Hundley in the 2nd Round

AussieBear

its a tough call. regardless of what you think of the guy, he may still go mid-late in the first rd.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'll say it again, Brett Hundley is the best QB in this draft and I haven't heard one evaluation to convince me otherwise.

The best shit I hear going around right now is that Hundley isn't as pro ready as Mariota or Winston because Hundley hasn't played in a pro offense. How precisely this makes Mariota a better when he has played in a far less pro style offense over any other QB in college football is beyond me.

I said last year Teddy Bridgewater was the best QB in the draft and I say the same about Hundley this year. Fuck what the experts say, every one of those fuckers had Manziel rated ahead of Bridgewater and look how that turned out.

P.S. Mariota took five snaps from under center last year.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
while I agree with you about hundley, you are really congratulating yourself about bridgewater? who didn't have him as top rated? smh

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Woodson wasn't going anywhere with Manning there same for Kurt Warner. I really don't see the Woodson example of all the Qb's who've come & gone ( they are 2 totally different Qb's. One is mobile, one is not) .

SPECIFICALLY.....what are you basing this on.....certainly NOT his #'a or his production.

-------

Football Intelligence (FBI)

The popularity of spread offenses in college—be it the Air Raid or the read-option—has led to fewer quarterbacks reading the entire field. Pro-style offenses, like the one run at UCLA, are becoming a rarity, and so too are quarterbacks in college with experience diagnosing coverages.

Hundley handles the complexities of the offense well and works across the entire field when scanning for a target. This is not a one-read offense. This is not a half-field offense. Hundley is expected to work the entire field, and does.

Moving to an NFL offense will not be difficult for Hundley. He will have to adapt to the speed of the pros, just like every other rookie, but from a reads and execution standpoint, he's ready.

- Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer
Here is a conversation between a scouting service and a UCLA Bruins site about Hundley. It talks about some of Hundley's problems but also some of the team's problems. The scouts seem to be positively surprised about him after watching the film.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_bruin_football/2014/12/19/7420513/ucla-footballs-brett-hundley-gets-a-scouting-report-courtesy-of-ndt

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'll say it again, Brett Hundley is the best QB in this draft and I haven't heard one evaluation to convince me otherwise.

The best shit I hear going around right now is that Hundley isn't as pro ready as Mariota or Winston because Hundley hasn't played in a pro offense. How precisely this makes Mariota a better when he has played in a far less pro style offense over any other QB in college football is beyond me.

I said last year Teddy Bridgewater was the best QB in the draft and I say the same about Hundley this year. Fuck what the experts say, every one of those fuckers had Manziel rated ahead of Bridgewater and look how that turned out.

P.S. Mariota took five snaps from under center last year.
Do you think he will even be there when the Bears draft in the 2nd?

Most teams drop back into the end of the 1st if they want to draft a QB with a 2nd round rating.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
IN OUR VIEW: On the surface, Hundley's skill-set seems every bit as tantalizing as Oregon's Marcus Mariota or Florida State's Jameis Winston. However, Hundley needs to improve in the critical subtleties of the quarterback position - pocket presence, reading defenses and ball placement.

LOL. So apparently we shouldn't draft Hundley because he's not a 100% polished, finished product coming out of college... but yet we can't possibly move on from our current QB, the about to be 10 year vet, that STILL struggles with all those same subtleties of the QB position after 9 years in the league. LOL. Gotta love the (lack of) logic on this board.

Earth to morons: Pace doesn't have the luxury of waiting around for the next Andrew Luck type perfect QB prospect to come along. Stop being so damn picky. It's not like we currently have Tom Brady under center and are going to be taking some huge step back moving to a rookie that needs to develop. In case you haven't been paying attention Cutler still plays like a fucking rookie and hasn't shown any noticeable improvement in any facet of his game during his entire time in Chicago. If anything he's regressed from how he looked in Denver.

I'd much rather move forward with Hundley than pray Cutler magically develops in year 10 of his career. Not to mention having a QB that's also a threat with his feet would be a very welcome addition to the offense.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Do you think he will even be there when the Bears draft in the 2nd?

Most teams drop back into the end of the 1st if they want to draft a QB with a 2nd round rating.

I think with Cutler where there's smoke, there's fire and Hundley and Bridgewater are the two best QBs to come out from last year this year and next year. You can't not draft Cutler's heir apparent if you rid yourself of him and Hundley is the best option.

If you're not cutting Cutler or trading him then you're not confident in finding his replacement, fair enough. Pace is the boss it's his call. Ride with Cutler until someone else comes along. I won't like it but until I see someone better then it's what has to happen. I'd draft Hundley to replace Cutler though.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Hundley is miles and miles away from being an NFL starting QB. He has the physical side but I don't like anything he does on the football side. I don't see where he "possesses the ability to step up in the pocket and make throws under duress" as his pocket awareness is garbage. I don't like the way he throws the ball. I don't like how he sets his feet. I don't like how he throws off his back foot on touch passes. I don't like how he gets sacked against a four man rush with a good pocket. I don't like how he stares down his target. I don't like that he rarely if ever, gets to his second read.

I honestly can't stand Hundley and would stay far far away. Not an NFL QB!

I'll be shocked if he scores above 10 in the Wonderlic!!

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you want to see how Brett Hundley will perform under pressure, go back and watch the game against Utah.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
while I agree with you about hundley, you are really congratulating yourself about bridgewater? who didn't have him as top rated? smh

Thank God. After seeing DjMoore jump on the bandwagon and run and shart doing his thing, I was beginning to believe Hundley wasn't the guy anymore.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I think Hundley is miles and miles away from being an NFL starting QB. He has the physical side but I don't like anything he does on the football side. I don't see where he "possesses the ability to step up in the pocket and make throws under duress" as his pocket awareness is garbage. I don't like the way he throws the ball. I don't like how he sets his feet. I don't like how he throws off his back foot on touch passes. I don't like how he gets sacked against a four man rush with a good pocket. I don't like how he stares down his target. I don't like that he rarely if ever, gets to his second read.

I honestly can't stand Hundley and would stay far far away. Not an NFL QB!

It's almost like you've never watched a single one of his games your analysis of him is so wrong and misguided.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
To the naysayers....... Brett Hundley is the REASON UCLA is relevant again.

So was Cade McNown.....so were hundreds of now-busted NFL players. Garrett Wolfe, anyone?

I don't want Hundley. His reads in college were 1 and then take off. He screams EJ Manuel, and the NFL eats QBs like this for breakfast.

That doesn't work at the NFL level unless you have Michael Vick speed to make yourself the exception to the rule. But not the dog fighting part.

Stick with Jay and take decisions away from him, draft a quarterback or sit one with a clipboard this or next year.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i'd stick with jay for one more year, partly because he still does a lot of things right, and partly due to the money, and then draft a qb in 2016. i'm just not that impressed with the qbs this year. AND we need SO much help on DEF—de, lb, cb, s all of it. AND we could use some OL help and a speedy WR. can't use a 1st/2nd3rd on QB imo.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hundley seems very coachable and has the tools. He's a good guy. I don't trust Winston's character or Mariota's arm. If we can get him in the second I'd take Hundley with hope Gase can develop him and maybe becomes the HC at some point. That is a lot of conjecture, but ideally you'd like some coaching continuity if you're trying to develop a qb - it takes time, whether he's starting or not. The Bears have seemed to enjoy drafting low round qbs and never developing them. I like Hundley's skill and his character, but the first thing for any NFL qb is to learn how to play in the pocket. You might get away with athleticism for a while, but not for long. I think he's coachable.

I know, a bit long winded.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Hundley's three years of consistent production vs, Manuel's one year wonder level of production, that comparison isn't even close.

College game =/= NFL game. So that argument is right out the window.

Two very different animals. Hundley cant lob 5 yard safe passes to embellish his otherwise pedestrian accuracy throwing anything more than 10 yards the way he did at UCLA.

He also wont play in a weak conference like the Pac 20, known for 'finesse' play instead of nasty football sans Oregon--where QBs' jerseys are as clean after the game as they are before.

He's not the best QB in this draft. He's the 4th best behind Mariota, Winston, and Grayson.

This is one of the weakest quarterback fields going into the draft. That's the only reason Hundley is slated to go any higher than the 5th round, which is where he should be, and I'm being quite generous with that.

Defense, defense, offensive line, defense. That's the bears' only job this draft.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
What do you guys think about waiting and trying to nab Cody Kessler next year? I haven't seen him play a lot but what I have seen is impressive.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I just watched an 8 minute highlight clip of Hundley on YouTube and there were only TWO plays on this clip where he hung in the pocket and progressed from his first read to the second. Literally every other play was throwing first read to a wide open receiver (or where the receiver makes a great catch) or a scramble/QB draw.