Bears sign CB Alan Ball

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really like this signing....

Per Biggs'y on Twitter

Alan Ball - DB - Bears

Bears signed CB Alan Ball, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year contract.

The National Football Post jumped the gun last week when it reported Ball signed with the Panthers. They offered him a deal, but Ball took Chicago's. Ball started 22 games for the Jaguars the previous two seasons, but had his 2014 campaign cut short with a bicep injury. He provides much-needed depth for the Bears behind starters Tim Jennings and Kyle Fuller. It's still a position of need.

Related: Jaguars

Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Alan+Ball+Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Jacksonville+B9Z6Kw638MQl.jpg

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ball was a top-19 cover corner in Pro Football Focus' rankings in 2013. Wasnt fairing as well in 2014 before being hurt.... but nice to have some solid starter experience in your # 3 CB.

He also has some experience playing Safety... with Dallas I believe.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Great. The last guy signed garbage from the Raiders and this guy signs garbage from the Jaguars!

Super Bears, Super Bowl!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Another good i year cheap prove it deal. All caps was a mistake.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was sort of hoping with the new GM we would stay away from all things Jaguars... Ah well, hopefully he was a bright spot on their team.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
This signing is Ballin'!!!

:rimshot:

:facepalm2:

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great. The last guy signed garbage from the Raiders and this guy signs garbage from the Jaguars!

Super Bears, Super Bowl!

He's not garbage...he's a ....

2014-SS-ball.png

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Ball was a top-19 cover corner in Pro Football Focus' rankings in 2013. Wasnt fairing as well in 2014 before being hurt.... but nice to have some solid starter experience in your # 3 CB.

He also has some experience playing Safety... with Dallas I believe.

Would top 19 mean... number 19?

Technically speaking, Revis is top 19 too.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Celebrate like Koreans! We Be Ballin'

[video=youtube;QSZfdwFdcdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZfdwFdcdg[/video]

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seventh-Year Breakout

Ball followed his former head coach Wade Phillips to the Texans, where he was once again relegated to special teams duty and had his lowest defensive snap total since 2008. He considered returning to Houston last season, but Bradley sold him on the chance to start, realizing that Ball’s 6-foot-2 frame fit the Seattle mold he so coveted. The decision turned out to be a great one for both parties.

Ball won a starting job in training camp and was reliable for the first half of the season before going on an impressive run down the stretch. He finished with seven positive coverage grades in his last eight games, including a stellar Week 11 where he tallied four passes defensed against the Cardinals. His 13 passes defensed on the season tied for sixth-most among cornerbacks, and his +4.9 coverage grade put him in the Top 20 at his position. For perspective, that was the same grade notched by the more-heralded Alterraun Verner. Ball allowed just two touchdowns in coverage and a reception for every 13.0 coverage snaps, the 10th-best rate among 81 qualified cornerbacks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/23/secret-superstars-2014-jacksonville-jaguars/

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The New Norm

It would be easy to dismiss Ball’s season as a fluke. It’s not very often that a cornerback suddenly realizes his talent in his seventh NFL season. But there are good signs that Ball can repeat his 2013 campaign. After years of being misused as a safety and slot cornerback, Bradley finally put Ball in the position that’s best-suited for his skills. Ball spent 33.6% of his snaps last season lined up in press coverage, which isn’t as high a rate as the Seattle cornerbacks, but still well above the league average of 27.3%.

What stands out on Ball’s film is how good he uses press-bail technique to prevent deep passes. On the 15 plays he faced Deep Targets last season (passes 20+ yards past the line of scrimmage), he allowed three completions and a 36.9 passer rating. A perfect example came in Week 11 vs the Cardinals, with 0:22 left in the second quarter, when Ball lined up in press, matched Michael Floyd stride-for-stride on a go route, and knocked the ball away as soon as it arrived.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Cheap signing at a position we need depth at. Good with me. I would still expect the secondary to be targeted via the draft as well.

Mitchapalooza

Super Bears, Super Bowl!
Why do you hate getting players from bad teams? When the Chiefs were 2-14 you wouldn't have wanted charles? Or CJ from the 0-16 lions?