Can the Bears Draft Offense 1st and 2nd Round?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With the number of defensive signings and the fact that many of them look capable of starting or playing significant reps have the Bears put themselves in a position to draft offense in round 1 and 2?

It has been discussed that WR may be the beat value pick for the Bears. It also happens to be a need, not a great need, but a clear need.

The OL has largely been ignored in free agency after a very sub par year in 2014. Bushrod struggled and looks to be losing a step, Slauson had a 2nd offseason with surgery, Garza is done and Mills should probably be replaced or at a minimum face serious competition.

Would it make sense for the Bears to go OL in the 2nd round?

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For the visual people,

1[7] WR Amari Cooper [Alabama] 6'1" 212lbs. 4.42 [40], 33" vert, 10" broad

The Bears draft the BPA in Cooper and add a polsihed deep threat that was the focal point of other teams defensive plans and still produced. Gives the Bears the best WR core that they have had in my lifetime and they set the table for the next QB nicely.

Amari+Cooper+Discover+BCS+National+Championship+-uzkNOF7KV7l.jpg

2[39] OT Jake Fisher [Oregon] 6'6" 306lbs. 5.01 [40], 25 reps, 32.5" vert, 7.25 3 cone

With so many defensive holes patched for the time being the Bears can set out to fix the OL that let them down last year. Fisher has the length [6'6", 34" arms] and athletic ability to play LT in the NFL and should continue to improve as he gets stronger. He profiles a lot like Joe Staley, and will allow the Bears to move Bushrod to RT. Bushrod is a solid LT, but at 31 he is on the down side and should be moved to RT soon.

jake-fisher-ncaa-football-oregon-utah.jpg

3[77] DE Henry Anderson [Stanford] 6'6" 292lbs. 5.03 [40], 30" vert, 9'3" broad

Big, tough, and physical Anderson can step in and immedatily join the rotation at 5 technique. Anderson has lined up all over the Standford defense, which is similar to the Fangio defense that he left there. Anderson gives the Bears depth with starting potential.

henry-anderson-2.jpg

4. S Ibraheim Campbell [Northwestern] 5'11" 208lbs. 4.54 [40], 23 reps, 33" vert, 9'10" broad

A smart, big hitting safety that fits the mold of a Fangio safety. Campbell has solid ball skills to add to a willingness to hit people. Campbell has some coverage limitations, but those should be covered up by scheme. Campbell can immedaitly improve a pathetic special teams unit.

Campbell-in-space-after-1st-INT-vs-Robinson1.jpg

5. CB Ladarius Gunter [Miami] 6'2" 205lbs.

The Bears add more length and upside to the CB group. Gunter did not test well at the combine, but he has the size and length to be developed and should contribute immediatly on special teams.

6_707442.jpg

6. C Dillon Day [Mississippi St] 6'3" 310lbs.

Athletically limited, but tough and physical and coming from an elite power running school. Day can compete with Garza and provide depth behind him.

soiaejxovkpaojx-20121023195029.jpg

QB: Cutler, Clausen
RB: Forte, Carey, Perry
WR: Jeffery, Cooper, Royal, Wilson, Mariani
TE: Bennett, Miller, Rosari, Annett
LT: Fisher, Leno
LG: Slauson, Ola
C: Garza/Day
RG: Long, Ducasse
RT: Bushrod, Mills

RE: McDonald, Sutton
NT: Ratliff, Ferguson
LE: Jenkins/Anderson, Washington
OLB: Young, Allen
MLB: Jones/Bostic
MLB: Foster, Greene, Lattimore
OLB: McPhee, Houston, Bass
CB: Fuller, Ball, Jennings, Gunter, Hurst, Louis-Jean
FS: Rolle, Vereen
SS: Mundy, Campbell

LS: Gafford
K: Gould
P: O'Donnell

Last edited:

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm actually liking this draft considering we haven't really addressed those needs in FA. Of course it all depends on who's available in the 1st and 2nd.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think we might draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Center for sure somewhere in there if we don't get Wiz.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I like it but I rather go with white if he is there than cooper

Liked Posts:
I personally like Waynes or Beasley in 1, but I would absolutely be OK going offense in the first 3 rounds tbh.

1) Amari Cooper
2) Tevin Coleman
3) Fisher or Havenstein at OT

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
1) Beasley
2) Fisher
3) Lockett ????

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would only like to see offense drafted in the first three rounds if it's another offensive lineman.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well, we have lots of needs. And we pretty much always need a pass rusher. So I'd be okay with a WR(especially if Amari Cooper is still there at 7) or an OLB.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
maybe im just being short sighted, but I don't see how spending pick #7 on a WR, makes us any better.
we had BMarsh and are offense sucked. and I get BPA but you cant dismiss that some positions are more valuable than others.

if we are truly gonna be a run heavy/ great D type scheme. then WR value would be pretty low, on the list of important position groups.
I guess I don't get how cooper or White, would have more impact on are scheme than the top rated o-line guy, Shelton, Waynes or one of the many pass rushers.
take last years draft for example, I would much rather have Fuller than have drafted Watkins.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
THIS WOULD BE MY OFFENSE IN THE 1ST AND 2ND

1) Kevin White-WR
2) Jake Fisher-OT
3) Henry Anderson-DE
4) Durell Eskridge-FS
5) Taiwan Jones-ILB
6) Andy Gallik-C

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Remember where Pace is coming from. Drew Brees and Sean Payton. He will try to create a high powered offense more than a good defense, IMO. That's what he knows. Defense is so hard to play anyway with the rules, it's almost silly to invest so much into it.

John Fox is here to control the players which Trestman failed to do and nothing more. Adam Gase will be running the offense 100 %. I can see big investments in the offense in this draft as the Bears prepare for life after Cutler/Forte next season. They will need a WR, RB, and OL help more than they need defensive help. In my opinion, the problems on defense were 90 % scheme. Fangio will get a lot more out of the current roster than Tucker could, and that should be enough to make the team competitive if the offense is up to par.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Remember where Pace is coming from. Drew Brees and Sean Payton. He will try to create a high powered offense more than a good defense, IMO. That's what he knows. Defense is so hard to play anyway with the rules, it's almost silly to invest so much into it.

John Fox is here to control the players which Trestman failed to do and nothing more. Adam Gase will be running the offense 100 %. I can see big investments in the offense in this draft as the Bears prepare for life after Cutler/Forte next season. They will need a WR, RB, and OL help more than they need defensive help. In my opinion, the problems on defense were 90 % scheme. Fangio will get a lot more out of the current roster than Tucker could, and that should be enough to make the team competitive if the offense is up to par.

this is absolutely incorrect......... Pace and Fox have both said were gonna run the shit out of the ball and play great defense.

Pace came from a high powered offence that only worked because of Brees and last I checked he is not on this team, or anyone near as good.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
How is moving Bushrod to RT even an option?

It's not. He's not enough of a mauler to play RT, so he'll remain at LT until he's no longer able to play the position athletically, then backup or retire.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Drafting Cooper and Fisher would be an excellent 1st and 2nd round. The meatballs would complain because we didn't draft defense but those guys could definitely be BPA at those picks. I like both players.

I am fine with any strategy as long as they go BPA and don't reach for any particular position because this team needs talent everywhere.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
1: Amari Cooper
2: Garrett Grayson

Coming out guns blazin' on Grayson....wow.

I like him as well, but 2nd? If they pulled the trigger on that I'd probably be excited.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If you really read Cooper's weaknesses, it is kinda alarming.

He doesn't shield the ball well from defenders
He stops on routes putting QB in position for interceptions
He is not a great run blocker

This could be a problem with Cutler at QB and with wanting to be a run first offense.