Bears Defensive Line-up (pre-draft)

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears pre-draft FA signings are (pretty much) over. Just for fun, let's take a look at some Defensive line-ups.

** Pre/no draft, everyone returns healthy Lineup **

Conventional Lineup (Initial/"coach said"/inside-the-box)

Base

OLB - McPheeCB - Fuller
DE - McDonald (Sutton)SS - Rolle
NT - Ratliff (Ferguson)ILB - Foster
DE - Jenkins (Washington)ILB - Bostic
OLB - HoustonFS - Mundy
CB - Ball
Passing Downs

OLB - YoungCB - Fuller
DE - McPheeSS - Rolle
NT - RatliffILB - Foster
DE - HoustonILB - Bostic
OLB - AllenNB - Jennings
CB - Ball
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unconventional Lineup ("outside the box"/eventual shake-out)

Base

OLB - YoungCB - Fuller
DE - Ferguson (Sutton)SS - Rolle
NT - Ratliff (Jenkins)ILB - McClellen
DE - Houston (Washington/McDonald)ILB - Bostic
OLB - McPhee (Allen)FS - Mundy
CB - Ball
Passing Downs

OLB - YoungCB - Fuller
DE - SuttonSS - Rolle
NT - RatliffILB - McClellen
DE - McPheeILB - Bostic
OLB - JonesNB - Vereen
CB - Ball
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crazy Lineup ("Let's try this *burp*!"/way outside-the-box)

Base

OLB - YoungCB - Fuller
DE - Sutton (Ferguson)SS - Rolle
NT - Ratliff (Jenkins)ILB - McClellen
DE - McPhee (Houston)ILB - Bostic
OLB - JonesFS - Peanut Tillman
CB - Ball
Passing Downs

OLB - YoungCB - Fuller
DE - SuttonSS - Peanut Tillman
NT - RatliffILB - McClellen
DE - McPheeILB - Bostic
OLB - JonesNB - Vereen
CB - Ball

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Allen or Houston are going to play well, but I think if Houston comes back healthy, he'll be good at run defense. Jones at OLB wouldn't be unprecedented, as there are about 3-4 OLB about his size slated to start at OLB (jarvis Jones & Mingo 245lbs each).

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Interesting post, you have a lot of good looks there. First, I think Young and Houston might take a while to get back from their injuries, so they will have to play their way into their roles, imo.

I do think Fangio will experiment a little with different lineups, and it does matter who comes out and plays well. On paper, I do like the sound of Allen and Young at OLB on passing downs. That would get a lot of pass rush on the field with McPhee and Houston/McDonald moving inside.

I'm not sure Ball will take the CB spot from Jennings, imo. I do think he could be the starting nickel tho. Plus, Fangio likes to replace a LB on nickel downs with a safety who can play up in the box well. Fangio also likes big nickel backs that can matchup on TE's.

I think Shae will get a chance to play the jack LB on passing downs cuz of his coverage ability. All in all, I think we will see the excitement from Fangio we all wished Tucker would bring to the table last year. Fangio, however, will actually be able to deliver, imo, with some hybrid looks and customized gameplans.

Can't wait to see what players become Fangio weapons myself. I really don't believe the defense is short on talent, it just depends if Fangio can fit them into his scheme, can't wait, imo.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that pretty much proves the we'll be going offense in the first.

However, Shelton sure would look good as an option in your "sets".

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also Shea in the middle will be an intersting development next season.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Ball will take the CB spot from Jennings, imo. I do think he could be the starting nickel tho.

Plus, Fangio likes to replace a LB on nickel downs with a safety who can play up in the box well. Fangio also likes big nickel backs that can matchup on TE's.

I think Shae will get a chance to play the jack LB on passing downs cuz of his coverage ability.

Yes, question is just how much Jennings has fallen off from his 2012 9-int season? He wasn't impressive in 14. Jennings is certainly not afraid of contact, and still nailed 50 tackles last yr. He's not a 1st choice for covering TEs, of course. Ball would be a better choice for that. But from what I've seen last year, I think Ball would win starting CB, barring a new player.

You said Fangio likes to replace a LB on nickel downs with a safety who can play up in the box well? You mean replace an ILB? And play what well in the box? the run? or pass? If you mean pass, I think Vereen would be that 3rd Safety.

Shea didn't have good stats for pass cov last year, but excellent in run coverage.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Yes, question is just how much Jennings has fallen off from his 2012 9-int season? He wasn't impressive in 14. Jennings is certainly not afraid of contact, and still nailed 50 tackles last yr playing NB. He's not a 1st choice for covering TEs, of course. Ball would be a better choice for that. But from what I've seen last year, I think Ball would win starting CB, barring a new player.

You said Fangio likes to replace a LB on nickel downs with a safety who can play up in the box well? You mean replace an ILB? And play what well in the box? the run? or pass? If you mean pass, I think Vereen would be that 3rd Safety.

Shea didn't have good stats for pass cov last year, but excellent in run coverage.

Yes, he does like to replace an ILB with a S on passing downs. I read a quote from him that he will replace the ILB with a S, but he still likes the S to be able to play the run well too.

However, I'm not sure we really have that S, so this could be where we see Shea, imo. I think we're finally going to see a coach that can put guys in different spots to excel. (cough, cough, Tucker ... not)

BTW, I Love Jennings, I just wish he was taller, so it will be interesting to see what Fangio does with him. :yep:

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Fangio is obviously a huge upgrade, but eh, that overall D personnel is still really, really bad. As in, bottom-10 bad, maybe worse.

Opposing OCs and QBs will once again look forward to lining up against us in 2015. Well, realistically, there was no way we could remake our historically bad 2014 D in one offseason, this is going to take another year or two.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Bears certainly put themselves in position to go BPA. The slew of OLB/DL we have opens things up, but I wouldn't assume OLB & CB talent isn't high on their Big Board.

I could easily see a Mariota or Cooper/White pick, but an OLB or CB Waynes are still high.

I wouldn't cry if we picked Shelton, but we still have developing 2nd rd Ferguson & 315lbs Jenkins & Sutton to poke at for future NT.
It is. From what I read, McClellen is not great at shedding blocks, but he's still quick, good size, good run stopper, & bright, which lends well for ILB.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I completely disagree with the 2 to 3 year bullshit we're hearing from some. ^^^ The scheme itself, will be a huge improvemnet, and we'll be able to see what these players can actually do.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I don't think it proves we'll go offense, but it certainly opens the door.

With Fangio, I think we'll finally find out for sure if Shea can play or not.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Fangio, I think we'll finally find out for sure if Shea can play or not.

He struggles to shed blocks, so I'm a little concerned about this. But heck, if Foxxy and Fangio thinks he can do it, then let's see what happens.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He struggles to shed blocks, so I'm a little concerned about this. But heck, if Foxxy and Fangio thinks he can do it, then let's see what happens.
One of the two ILB will be the guy nailing the ball carrier, rather than the initial guy fighting the lead blocker(s), so that is the best spot for McClellen.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I completely disagree with the 2 to 3 year bullshit we're hearing from some. ^^^ The scheme itself, will be a huge improvemnet, and we'll be able to see what these players can actually do.

Completely agree - I always noted the 13' D lineup wasn't that different than Marinelli's great 12' D lineup. I suspect Tucker & the locker room was the biggest problem.

Having said that, looking at our current D personnel, I think Fangio & Fox can do well (expect about avg). The current big hole I see is CB. Fuller still has a lot to learn, and Jennings & Ball aren't impressive.

Next, I don't see a lot of inside pass rush from this group. A healthy Ratliff should do fine, but that's it. Hopefully Sutton, Ego, McDonald & Jenkins (& Houston) can show some passrush this year.

Outside passrush should be OK if Young comes back healthy -- giving us McPhee & Young. But I think we'll need another good passrushing OLB for us to bring McPhee inside. I'm concerned Houston & Allen won't pass rush well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes, question is just how much Jennings has fallen off from his 2012 9-int season? He wasn't impressive in 14. Jennings is certainly not afraid of contact, and still nailed 50 tackles last yr playing NB. He's not a 1st choice for covering TEs, of course. Ball would be a better choice for that. But from what I've seen last year, I think Ball would win starting CB, barring a new player.

Jennings played his CB spot last year. He was supposed to move to NB and Peanut and Fuller were gonna play CB but Peanut got hurt so Jennings played his CB spot and D.Hurst came in around mid season and finished the season as the NB. I guess there's a chance that Ball could beat Jennings out for the CB spot because he's longer than Jennings and that's what Fangio likes, but i don't think he will, but i do think there's a chance we use a high pick on a CB that could take his spot. Fangio runs his 3-4 different than other DC's so we're gonna see a lot of movement going on so until the season starts it's really up in the air on who will start/play where mostly.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

One of the two ILB will be the guy nailing the ball carrier, rather than the initial guy fighting the lead blocker(s), so that is the best spot for McClellen.

In Fangio's system there is a Mike ILB and a Jack ILB. The Mike ILB is the downhill run stuffer, and the Jack ILB is the coverage ILB. This is why I think Shea could excel at the Jack, cuz he won't be shedding blocks as much playing the run. Instead, he will be in coverage most of the time on a TE, which he is actually fairly good at.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Just because you don't share that opinion does not mean it's bullshit. Fangio can only do so much in the absence of talent.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Completely agree - I always noted the 13' D lineup wasn't that different than Marinelli's great 12' D lineup. I suspect Tucker & the locker room was the biggest problem.

Having said that, looking at our current D personnel, I think Fangio & Fox can do well (expect about avg). The current big hole I see is CB. Fuller still has a lot to learn, and Jennings & Ball aren't impressive.

Next, I don't see a lot of inside pass rush from this group. A healthy Ratliff should do fine, but that's it. Hopefully Sutton, Ego, McDonald & Jenkins (& Houston) can show so passrush this year.

Outside passrush should be OK if Young comes back healthy -- giving us McPhee & Young. But I think we'll need another OLB to setup big in order for us to bring McPhee inside. I'm concerned Houston & Allen won't pass rush well.

This is why I think Waynes is a legit pick for us. He's 6'2 and had 19 reps on the bench. He's very good as a press/man CB too, which Fangio likes as well. I've said this before, Fuller and Waynes gives Fangio two 1st round, young CB's to design his defense around moving forward.

Then Jennings and Ball duke it out at the nickel while Fangio works his magic with the front 7. You can still draft a young OLB to develop like Lorenzo Mauldin in the 3rd or 4th even.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Just because you don't share that opinion does not mean it's bullshit. Fangio can only do so much in the absence of talent.

I just don't think Fox, a veteran defensive head coach who has been successful, and Fangio, one of the best defensive minds at DC, will take 2-3 years to turn the defense around. :dunno:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your passing down situation looks weird right now because you are keeping the same number in the front 7 and subbing out a Free Safety for a Nickel Back. The reality is if it really is a passing down then you go with 5 guys in the secondary and only 6 guys on the front. So you should be replacing a LB or DL for the Nickel Back.

Furthermore, it is likely that there will be more 4-3 looks on obvious passing downs with McPhee and Houston moving to DT and Young and Allen being the DEs. You then have only 2 LBs with maybe one of them (perhaps Shea) being someone that could blitz if necessary.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Jennings played his CB spot last year. He was supposed to move to NB and Peanut and Fuller were gonna play CB but Peanut got hurt so Jennings played his CB spot and D.Hurst came in around mid season and finished the season as the NB. I guess there's a chance that Ball could beat Jennings out for the CB spot because he's longer than Jennings and that's what Fangio likes, but i don't think he will, but i do think there's a chance we use a high pick on a CB that could take his spot. Fangio runs his 3-4 different than other DC's so we're gonna see a lot of movement going on so until the season starts it's really up in the air on who will start/play where mostly.

The original goal was to play Fuller at the nickel, the injury, and his play, helped land him in Peanut's spot. :yep: