Kyle Long on the current state of the Chicago Bears: "It is a different culture here"

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Kyle Long on the current state of the Chicago Bears: "It is a different culture here"

Interesting article. I think it definitely gives a bit more credence to all of the things Despbro was saying. I think most of us always felt that "some" aspects of what he was trying to get across with his "nerds" commentary to be true, perhaps it could have been more eloquently positioned, a bit more polished if you will :)

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2015/4/14/8416053/chicago-bears-kyle-long-john-fox

Earlier today Chicago Bears' offensive lineman Kyle Long was on the Rich Eisen Show riffing on a number of topics. They talked about the difference between the new coaching regime and the old Marc Trestman era, head coach John Fox's weight room prowess and how they now have a group of man's men in the locker room.

Here's a transcript from some of their conversation.

Rich Eisen: Before I turn the page with you, why didn't it work the last couple years in Chicago? If you could put a fine point on it.

Kyle Long: Well, obviously we need to score more points than the other team and defensively, we need to allow less points than we're scoring. That's the basics of it. If we can't play defense, if we can't play offense, or special teams, good things aren't going to happen. I feel like we have the right people in the building now to achieve that. It's been very evident to us the past few days here in our first two OTAs that it is a different culture here.

Rich Eisen: How so?

Kyle Long: Man, it is almost like you don't feel like -- the guys that we're playing for now are just older versions of us. They understand what we're going through. They have empathy towards us. Yeah, we are going to be in the building but they know what having a family's like when you're playing. They know what having a girlfriend's like or being single's like for some guys.

I think they do a great job of balancing work and your life outside of football. Also, they're football guys. They're crazy about it. I'm in the weight room today and John Fox is hitting bicep curls next to me, talking smack, telling me to put weight on the bar. I think we got the right guys in the building.

Rich Eisen: What was he curling? 20s? 25s? What was he doing?

Kyle Long: I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was curling some 50s.

Rich Eisen: That a boy. Wow. Fox doing 50? Come on, let's be honest.

Kyle Long: This is after his cardio workout.

Rich Eisen: He's got the new ticker. We know that.

Kyle Long: He's looking great.

Rich Eisen: I know. I think Chicago is going to like him. Fox has got this way about him that I think fans there certainly with the last two coaches being a little bit of a stoic, that I think Chicago, that's again why people want to see out of Cutler in Chicago, they want that fire, Kyle. They want that zombie apocalypse.

Kyle Long: Way to go, man.

Rich Eisen: Don't you think?

Kyle Long: We can have that. I think we have enough personality in this locker room. I think we're at the personality capacity between Martellus Bennett, myself and a few others. John Fox adds to that. We got a group of guys, there's a bunch of man's men upstairs. They love football and everything that comes about with football. That's apparent here.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you want the zombie apocalypse?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kyle Long: Man, it is almost like you don't feel like -- the guys that we're playing for now are just older versions of us. They understand what we're going through. They have empathy towards us. Yeah, we are going to be in the building but they know what having a family's like when you're playing. They know what having a girlfriend's like or being single's like for some guys.

Sounds like more hippy nerd talk to me. Emapthy has no place in football.

#FoxFeels

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Good read, I like that we have "man's men" upstairs and football guys coaching. It is pretty obvious that the players didn't respect the old coaches and it showed on the field. I had a coach that use to work out with us in the weight room and it was a good feeling, gives you a sense of unity and makes you want to play harder when you have that kind of relationship. I'm liking these hires more and more as time goes on.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Typical meatball PR stunt by the teams best meatball. Don't get me wrong, I like kyle, but he loved trestman.

I think at first he thought Trestman was the best coach for Cutler/the team at the time because he's cerebral, he grows men and tries to grow the ball and get players engaged as people. Then after doing more research he now thinks Fox is the better HC, because he talks smack, talks about pussy and getting ripped. I'm with Kyle on this one, as I had the exact same epiphany he did in the same kind of timeframe (like around two years)

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Typical meatball PR stunt by the teams best meatball. Don't get me wrong, I like kyle, but he loved trestman.

I think at first he thought Trestman was the best coach for Cutler/the team at the time because he's cerebral, he grows men and tries to grow the ball and get players engaged as people. Then after doing more research he now thinks Fox is the better HC, because he talks smack, talks about pussy and getting ripped. I'm with Kyle on this one, as I had the exact same epiphany he did in the same kind of timeframe (like around two years)

Trestman should have never been an HC in the NFL, maybe that kind of shit worked in Canada. I bet he was a super nice guy and all, I'm sure lots of people liked him but it's easy for people to run over you when you are in a position like he was. If he would have been hired as an OC then I think he would have done well with Cutler and the offense.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Thanks Vincent. I was never trying to make it some pro jock anti nerd thing, personally. I just called it like I saw it. There was no way a guy like trestman could control and maintain a group of... well... Jocks.

Just never was going to work. Some on here I think took it personally and became blinded to Trestman; or perhaps didn't actually understand NFL players.
They want the paycheck, and for some 'dork' like Trestman talking about growing the man and the beautiful game of football while they are taking painkillers at halftime just lost so much value to anything Marc said.

I can't think of a better work besides like dorky and corny for what trestmans ideas were. That new age crap never was gonna work.

Thanks for the read, bro!

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don't care what that sunshine pumping meathead has to say ever.

Why people wanna hear these guys say their nonsense that never amounts to anything except in the rarest of cases is beyond me.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The Capt Obvious quote of the century:

Kyle Long: Well, obviously we need to score more points than the other team and defensively, we need to allow less points than we're scoring. That's the basics of it. If we can't play defense, if we can't play offense, or special teams, good things aren't going to happen.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
"I feel like we have the right people in the building now to achieve that. It's been very evident to us the past few days here in our first two OTAs that it is a different culture here."

When doesn't a player fawn over a new coaching staff coming in and blow smoke up everyone's ass? Everyone was all over Trestman's nuts too until the loses started mounting and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. Same thing will happen with Fox and Pace if they don't win games.

Having "man's men" coaches talking shit with the players in the weight room is great and all but I don't see how that translates into wins on the football field.

So beyond tired of people scapegoating Trestman and his hippy "nerd culture" for the Bears losing games and acting like a new set of macho alpha male coaches is some magical quick fix. The problems with this team isn't "nerd culture" it's having a roster devoid of talent and what little talent we do have continually underachieving.

Fox and Pace's alpha male personalities aren't going to amount to jack shit if their FA and draft acquisitions don't pan out and the players don't improve their execution on the field. Fox doing bicep curls in the weight room isn't going to make Jay Cutler make better reads, decisions, and accurate throws on the football field.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don't care what that sunshine pumping meathead has to say ever.

Why people wanna hear these guys say their nonsense that never amounts to anything except in the rarest of cases is beyond me.

Because, if you read between the lines Long can give you insight into what is happening with the team from a players perspective as opposed to some wannabe sports analysts here on this site who don't have a freakin clue.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Because, if you read between the lines Long can give you insight into what is happening with the team from a players perspective as opposed to some wannabe sports analysts here on this site who don't have a freakin clue.

Oh, I just ignore those people and assume I won't know what's going on inside the locker room.

Works well...

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
When doesn't a player fawn over a new coaching staff coming in and blow smoke up everyone's ass? Everyone was all over Trestman's nuts too until the loses started mounting and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. Same thing will happen with Fox and Pace if they don't win games.

Having "man's men" coaches talking shit with the players in the weight room is great and all but I don't see how that translates into wins on the football field.

So beyond tired of people scapegoating Trestman and his hippy "nerd culture" for the Bears losing games and acting like a new set of macho alpha male coaches is some magical quick fix. The problems with this team isn't "nerd culture" it's having a roster devoid of talent and what little talent we do have continually underachieving.

Fox and Pace's alpha male personalities aren't going to amount to jack shit if their FA and draft acquisitions don't pan out and the players don't improve their execution on the field. Fox doing bicep curls in the weight room isn't going to make Jay Cutler make better reads, decisions, and accurate throws on the football field.

That wasn't true, at least from the players. Jay said during Training Camp that some of the guys hadn't bought into Trestman yet, but hopefully they would. Fox already has respect from everyone in the locker room. Trestman never did and I would guess it was mostly the guys on defense. Eventually that lack of buy-in filtered to the offense.

Kyle is a guy who will always go to bat for his coaches and teammates, so you take his positive attitude with a pound of salt, but I do think he is speaking for most of the roster when he says the culture is much different now and that is a very good thing.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meatball, Meatball, spaghetti underneath. Ravioli, Ravioli Great Barrier Reef.