My final verdict on Danny Shelton

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Because I don't work for a team that makes a legit draft board. So it's a slight reach according to most draft sites/"experts".

Fair enough, I got ya.

Dupree is a guy that I'm really excited to see where goes. He's that sort of prospect that could go in the top 10 or the bottom of the 1st.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
To be fair Dupree is moving up the draft board but I still see him in the mid twenties at best.

Wait, so you think he started as a 2nd rounder before moving up?

I am no expert on UK football, and I doubt most here are, but his tape against Mizzou-who is legit- was really impressive to me, and his combine was obviously beyond the curve.

if someone gets him in the mid 20s, and that may happen bc I haven't really looked at how the lower half shakes out as far as team needs other than a bunch of people taking OT's, that team is getting a helluva athlete with a pick at the bottom of the 1st.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
if someone gets him in the mid 20s, and that may happen bc I haven't really looked at how the lower half shakes out as far as team needs other than a bunch of people taking OT's, that team is getting a helluva athlete with a pick at the bottom of the 1st.

To be fair, even if someone were to pick Dupree #1, they'd still be getting "a helluva athlete". The question is if he's more than that at the NFL level. One day I believe he is, and the next I don't. I'm having a real tough time evaluating him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dupree is wildly inconsistent.

One play he dominates the OT the other he looks like he isn't paying attention.

Consistency can be taught, it adds to the risk, but with his physical upside it might be worth the risk

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dupree at #39 would be ideal. Or maybe if we trade back, we get Shelton and Dupree. Or Armistead.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I have been back and forth with Shelton. He makes a lot of sense for the Bears. John Fox likes big guys in the middle, he had Pot Roast in Denver. The Bears do lack a bit of beef inside. Shelton brings that and he is a great fit.

Is he talented enough to be the 7th pick though. I am a little unsure. I think he has the ability to be an outstanding player on 1st and 2nd down. His motor, size and strength inside is going to be an asset. He doesn't take plays off. His motor runs hot all day and he has good stamina for a big man. On 3rd down though, I am just not sure. His 40 wasn't great, and that's not a great measure of his athletic ability as a lineman. His 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle was in the ball park of the better/more athletic NT's like Poe, Ngata and Wilfork though which leads me to believe he is still in that conversation with those guys. I think he will be a terrific 2-down run stuffer who will not be a reliability on 3rd down however, won't necessarily be a huge impact player either and get those kind sack numbers he had in college.

Off the field he is a good guy and would be a good, young leader for the group. Would be a day 1 starter who would immediately improve the Bears run defense in a big way. I think that makes him worthy of the 7th pick.