Report: Marshall traded for cap reasons.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is every bit as credible as Boewl and Turdsteins source

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm glad we don't have nerds in our front office that leak the truth out anymore

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
But what do Bernstein's sources have to say?

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Source: Brandon Marshall trade was about money, not character

Brandon Marshall is not a locker room cancer and his attitude had nothing to do with the March trade that sent him from the Chicago Bears to the New York Jets, so says a team source with the NFC team.
It has long been rumored that Marshall, acquired by the Jets on March 10, was ousted by the Bears in large part because he was a distraction on their roster. The 31-year old wide receiver has had issues in previous stops, namely with the Miami Dolphins, but he wasn't a malcontent or even a discontent in Chicago.

A source on the Bears, speaking on the condition of anonymity, tells Metro New York that Marshall was not shipped off the to the land of the green and white because of any character concerns. Rather, the source said, “it was money, pure money.
“The trade was contract driven, freeing up salary cap space. He was on a big contract here,” the source tells Metro New York. “It had nothing to do with him being this locker room issue or this villain. In fact, there were no issues like that that drove him out of here. It was all about the cap hit.”

Last year, Marshall was hampered by injuries with the Bears but still had 61 receptions for 721 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games. No one on the Jets had more than five touchdowns in 2014. If he's healthy, he can change a passing offense for the Jets that last year was among the worst in the NFL. Suddenly, he partners with fellow wide receivers Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley along with second-year tight end Jace Amaro to provide some legitimate targets.
In seven of the last eight seasons, Marshall has topped 1,000 receiving yards in a season, the only exception being 2014.

In October, Marshall reportedly was at the center of a locker room tirade and pundits noticed his visible on the field demeanor during the team's rough patch last fall, which many of them said was to look of a jaded superstar who was disappointing and disconnected last season. Couple that with the poor reputation earned from his time in Miami and the connection was made that Marshall was a diva and had an attitude problem.

Not so says the member of Bears management, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not allowed to publicly comment on personnel matters.
“There wasn't an issue with what Brandon said last year. Not at all. Those things happen in an NFL locker room, the older guys speak up and let their voices be heard. Brandon has earned that right,” the source said. “He's been a pro here. Again, it wasn't about the money, that's headlines and radio people talking and speculating. The trade with the Jets wasn't about that.
“To my knowledge he wasn't an issue here at all last year. I never heard a complaint. We had to move his contract for cap space and he had value.”
if it wasn't about his character then why didn't they just trade Allen about the same contract money and we all know marshall has done more for this team than allen. i call bullshit

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
if it wasn't about his character then why didn't they just trade Allen about the same contract money and we all know marshall has done more for this team than allen. i call bullshit

No one would be stupid enough to trade for allen.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh i am sure that he could have been trade for a 7th and the bears take some cap hit too dallas come to mind

no one would take him for the 12mil he is owed with what he did on the field last year and his age....

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good thread, despbro. It's important to let everyone know Brandon was not the locker room cancer they believed him to be. The man has turned over a new leaf and is now beyond reproach.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
its over two years not one

Umm...his cap hit this year is 12.5 mil because of a guaranteed 11.5 mil roster bonus. His salary each of the next two seasons is 8.5 and 8 respectively (no guarantees). No one was trading for that.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Trade him to free up cap room and then not sign a top free agent. Pernell McPhee was considered a good free agent, but I don't even remember him being considered a top 10 free agent. The Bears could have used that money to sign McPhee AND Jeremy Maclin instead of signing all of those decent/average players.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Umm...his cap hit this year is 12.5 mil because of a guaranteed 11.5 mil roster bonus. His salary each of the next two seasons is 8.5 and 8 respectively (no guarantees). No one was trading for that.
well shit wtf stupid emery your right bears are screwed the dead money is 12.5 however we still had plenty of cap space to keep bm it wasn't a money issue.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trade him to free up cap room and then not sign a top free agent. Pernell McPhee was considered a good free agent, but I don't even remember him being considered a top 10 free agent. The Bears could have used that money to sign McPhee AND Jeremy Maclin instead of signing all of those decent/average players.

#9 on NFL.com.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Good thread, despbro. It's important to let everyone know Brandon was not the locker room cancer they believed him to be. The man has turned over a new leaf and is now beyond reproach.
Surely it must agitate you and the usual bunch for some of us to want to talk football and a interesting, yet dumb, article. Calm down budy.
No one made you read it.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

I agree. Marshals a prick. Skipping out on Packers week to be in NY and show up on a Thursday is ridiculous. I mean, especially after all he did was talk about passion n being a bear blah blah.

Played us all a fool.