IST: Chicago Cubs (7-5) at Pittsburgh Pirates (6-7)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Quality? Vogelbach crushes at every level he has been at. He is an AL DH with the ability to spell a 1B every now and then. The Cubs have quality arms at the lower levels. This is how Beane operates generally. The big "if" is whether or not Oak is competitive. If they aren't, he's in sell/rebuild mode. Perhaps you don't remember #12 is not #1. The Cubs still have quite a bit of talent available in the MiLB that other clubs will want, particularly teams such as the A's.

Has he even been ranked in the top 100 yet? 2013 and 14 he regressed, but he's off to a good start in 2015. That said, DH guys aren't that valuable. SO yes, he's a quantity type guy IMO.

Don;t forget you guys are around #15 or so with the guys you brought up so ya know. :) How's that bullpen doing future superfan? ;)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Has he even been ranked in the top 100 yet? 2013 and 14 he regressed, but he's off to a good start in 2015. That said, DH guys aren't that valuable. SO yes, he's a quantity type guy IMO.
LOL. Posted from an AL guy who wants the DH in both leagues.

Don;t forget you guys are around #15 or so with the guys you brought up so ya know. :)
Ratings aren't accurate right now. As more Cubs players hit the 100 list they will still be top 10.

How's that bullpen doing future superfan? ;)
April isn't even over yet. Only people with too much time on their hands give more than a crap. Go, Cubbies!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
LOL. Posted from an AL guy who wants the DH in both leagues.

Yes I do. I think Baez makes a much better DH case than Vogelbach personally. But again no one is looking for a DH prospect.
Ratings aren't accurate right now. As more Cubs players hit the 100 list they will still be top 10.

Ratings are as accurate as the one doing the ratings really. I think they fall out of the top 10 when they come out "officially" mid year.

April isn't even over yet. Only people with too much time on their hands give more than a crap. Go, Cubbies!

Hey, I gotta celebrate now just in case....GO SOX!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yes I do. I think Baez makes a much better DH case than Vogelbach personally. But again no one is looking for a DH prospect.
Then why is there a DH? ;) FYI, Vogelbach was playing in my backyard a couple of seasons ago. He can rake. He has plenty of value.

Ratings are as accurate as the one doing the ratings really. I think they fall out of the top 10 when they come out "officially" mid year.
Doubtful with all the pitching talent at the lower levels and international signings they've made.

Hey, I gotta celebrate now just in case....GO SOX!
It doesn't matter to me. I will more than happily for a week go over to the Sux forum and act like a fan while The Hawk goes crazy thinking he's getting trolled. :D

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Then why is there a DH? ;) FYI, Vogelbach was playing in my backyard a couple of seasons ago. He can rake. He has plenty of value.

We agree to disagree on the value of a 21 year old DH spec.
Doubtful with all the pitching talent at the lower levels and international signings they've made.

Have yet to see a source unrelated to the Cubs to agree with that, but eh.

It doesn't matter to me. I will more than happily for a week go over to the Sux forum and act like a fan while The Hawk goes crazy thinking he's getting trolled. :D
Dang it...maybe I'll unblock JJ and see him and 2323 flip a lid too :tongue:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would sign Cueto either. He threw a 125 pitches last night. Not necessary. The Reds are going to use him for everything he is worth until he walks.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I would sign Cueto either. He threw a 125 pitches last night. Not necessary. The Reds are going to use him for everything he is worth until he walks.
Like the Brewers did with CC though to be fair, CC wanted it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like the Brewers did with CC though to be fair, CC wanted it.

Im sure Cueto want it as well, but what is it his 3rd or 4th start against the worst team in the league and you have him throw 125 pitches. That doesnt sit well with me.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Im sure Cueto want it as well, but what is it his 3rd or 4th start against the worst team in the league and you have him throw 125 pitches. That doesnt sit well with me.

You know my stance on this...pitchers are way too coddled

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Their arms are brought up that way. If they are brought up that way, you cant go oh let me throw a high pitch count in april. Its Auguest, September. I have no problem. April is not the time or the place.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Their arms are brought up that way. If they are brought up that way, you cant go oh let me throw a high pitch count in april. Its Auguest, September. I have no problem. April is not the time or the place.

Unless the next few months trains the arm to respond

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You know, I always wondered about that. Back in the day, I used to watch Koufax, Marishal, Drysdale, Jenkins, Gibson etc throw a huge number of innings. I don't ever remember anyone keeping a pitch count but it had to be in the 140-150 range every game for these guys and they weren't the only ones doing it. I mean now with all latest in how to keep your arm and body in shape, you have pitchers dropping like flys. No way the players back then were in the kind of shape they are today. Yet they pitched all those innings and rarely got hurt....well, not hurt enough to miss start anyway. What the hell happened?

Almost forgot.....this was for the most part on a 4 man rotation as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know, I always wondered about that. Back in the day, I used to watch Koufax, Marishal, Drysdale, Jenkins, Gibson etc throw a huge number of innings. I don't ever remember anyone keeping a pitch count but it had to be in the 140-150 range every game for these guys and they weren't the only ones doing it. I mean now with all latest in how to keep your arm and body in shape, you have pitchers dropping like flys. No way the players back then were in the kind of shape they are today. Yet they pitched all those innings and rarely got hurt....well, not hurt enough to miss start anyway. What the hell happened?

Almost forgot.....this was for the most part on a 4 man rotation as well.

All year round traveling ball is a big problem.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
All year round traveling ball is a big problem.

I'd also argue that there's more stress on pitcher's arms these days because I'm guessing you could get away with lessor velocity back then.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd also argue that there's more stress on pitcher's arms these days because I'm guessing you could get away with lessor velocity back then.

Multiple of things, they are throwing harder and throwing all year round from young ages. They are throwing breaking balls without the proper mechanics and before there bodies are developed enough to handle the stress.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Need a great performance for Lester tonight. This is why you pay him this type of money to stop losing streaks. We are on a 2 game skid. Be the stopper.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would rank it at: Need a LF UPG first. Then need a #3 SP type.

I'm not sure on Sonny Grey but if I did the deal it would be built around Baez. They have a need to replace Russell as the SS of their future and Baez still has super star potential. After that I would say Billy would be a 2nd good player and a arm. Seeing how Baez has not established himself I would ask for Hendricks to be honest and if I'm Theo I would be very tempted.