In season thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs | From the Wire: Cubs Recall OF Junior Lake from Triple-A Iowa, Option RHP Brian Schlitter to Triple-A bit.ly/1GqoNiW #MLB

I knew they would call him up soon..

Maddon was hurting himself with the short bench and Soler looks like he could use a day off..

Good to see Schlitter gone, hopefully Lake can provide a little spark off the bench..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@MLBONFOX: #Yankees announce Masahiro Tanaka has tendinitis in right wrist & a mild right forearm strain, will be placed on DL. pic.twitter.com/VrYccvTmWW

Wow.. turning out to be a good thing the cubs didn't get this guy

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs have interest in Rays recent release Grant belfour for pen

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So a quick look ahead to May and it looks like a tough month. I would hope the pitching keeps getting better as pretty much every pitcher looked better this last time through than the start before and I would expect some power to come around, but I think we should also expect a couple 3 game losing streaks, maybe get swept once or twice. They're going to need to get fat on the likes of the Brewers and Diamondbacks and try to hold their own against teams like the Cardinals, Pirates, Padre, Mets and a Nationals team that might be righting the ship. Just taking a look at the schedule 16-13 looks about right for May not taking into account rainouts. That would make this team 28-21 going into the summer months. If that happens would it be what you expected, better than expected or worse? For myself I'd say that's maybe a little ahead of where i had thought.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So a quick look ahead to May and it looks like a tough month. I would hope the pitching keeps getting better as pretty much every pitcher looked better this last time through than the start before and I would expect some power to come around, but I think we should also expect a couple 3 game losing streaks, maybe get swept once or twice. They're going to need to get fat on the likes of the Brewers and Diamondbacks and try to hold their own against teams like the Cardinals, Pirates, Padre, Mets and a Nationals team that might be righting the ship. Just taking a look at the schedule 16-13 looks about right for May not taking into account rainouts. That would make this team 28-21 going into the summer months. If that happens would it be what you expected, better than expected or worse? For myself I'd say that's maybe a little ahead of where i had thought.

7 over instead of what I expected 5-7 under. Way, way ahead. Even with the lack of power, this offense has been really competitive.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's a little ahead of where I thought.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

are you kidding me? not even a question...if they are 28 - 21 thru 49 games I will literally :fap: everywhere! that would be significantly ahead of schedule IMO. eventually the young bats are going to go through some rough patches, right?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
are you kidding me? not even a question...if they are 28 - 21 thru 49 games I will literally :fap: everywhere! that would be significantly ahead of schedule IMO. eventually the young bats are going to go through some rough patches, right?
Considering there only 3 young bats in every day lineup in bryant, soler, and russell and 1 hasnt done much in russell, and another is in a funk now in soler and their still finding ways to win more then lose... I think they might be ok for the long haul overall. ..

I think how the team ends up will be based more on the pitching then hitting. .

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Considering there only 3 young bats in every day lineup in bryant, soler, and russell and 1 hasnt done much in russell, and another is in a funk now in soler and their still finding ways to win more then lose... I think they might be ok for the long haul overall. ..

I think how the team ends up will be based more on the pitching then hitting. .

you forget Rizzo and castro are still 25 and under huh? rizzo has an OBP near .500 and castro is hitting over .333....do you really expect those numbers to continue? I hope they do continue to win obviously...but I stand by my statement of 28 - 21 thru 49 games being :fap: material

chibears55

Liked Posts:
you forget Rizzo and castro are still 25 and under huh? rizzo has an OBP near .500 and castro is hitting over .333....do you really expect those numbers to continue? I hope they do continue to win obviously...but I stand by my statement of 28 - 21 thru 49 games being :fap: material
Rizzo and Castro although young in age are veteran players. ..

Do I expect a .500 OBP for rizzo ? No but I don't expect him to slump off big time either to where it will take a big drop off at once..

Castro to hit .333 ? again , I dont expect hin to slump off that much to where his Avg takes a big drop at once...

So.. again, I dont think it will be the hitting that will prevent them from winning 28 games or so through 50, I think it will be the pitching if anything. . especially the bottom of rotation. .

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Rizzo and Castro although young in age are veteran players. ..

Do I expect a .500 OBP for rizzo ? No but I don't expect him to slump off big time either to where it will take a big drop off at once..

Castro to hit .333 ? again , I dont expect hin to slump off that much to where his Avg takes a big drop at once...

So.. again, I dont think it will be the hitting that will prevent them from winning 28 games or so through 50, I think it will be the pitching if anything. . especially the bottom of rotation. .

agree to disagree then :shrug:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

The thing that's interesting is that while those numbers aren't likely to hold up the power numbers, particularly for Rizzo, Bryant and Soler are likely to escalate quickly. I truly believe that Soler's slump has been caused by playing in cold weather for the first time in his career and while that doesn't necessarily mean warm weather will correct it, it will help, along with some rest and good coaching. Bryant and Rizzo will start hitting home runs in waves even as some of the other numbers level out. I don't expect much change out of Castro even as he starts to show some signs of power and the OBP will level out to the high .300's or so. How teams win games often changes throughout a season and I don't think these Cubs will be any different. Every pitcher has gotten better in their last start, some dramatically some incrementally, and pitching is going to be key going forward, of course injuries can change a lot of things. This team so far has won games on grit, heart, talent, youthful enthusiasm and some good old fashioned luck. If they're going to keep winning it's going to have to be because of pitching, the long ball and the continued belief in themselves that has them thinking they can win every game. I said 16-13 would be a good record in a tough May but so would 15-14 to be honest and that would be playing a lot worse than they have been. A great April has given these guys an opportunity. An average May against quality opponents could launch them into a pennant race with a chance to get better at the deadline. A good May makes them a contender. It sure is going to be interesting but I think no matter what May will show a different type of club than April.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The thing that's interesting is that while those numbers aren't likely to hold up the power numbers, particularly for Rizzo, Bryant and Soler are likely to escalate quickly. I truly believe that Soler's slump has been caused by playing in cold weather for the first time in his career but that doesn't necessarily mean warm weather will correct it, it will help though. Bryant and Rizzo will start hitting home runs in waves even as some of the other numbers level out. I don't expect much change out of Castro although he should show some signs of power and the OBP will level out to the high .300's or so. How teams win games often changes throughout a season and I don't think these Cubs will be any different. Every pitcher has gotten better in their last start, some dramatically some incrementally, and pitching is going to be key going forward. This team so far has won games on grit, heart, talent, youthful enthusiasm and some good old fashioned luck. If they're going to keep winning it's going to have to be because of pitching, the long ball and the continued belief in themselves that has them thinking they can win every game. I said 16-13 would be a good record in a tough May but so would 15-14 to be honest and that would be playing a lot worse than they have been. A great April has given these guys an opportunity. An average May against quality opponents could launch them into a pennant race with a chance to get better at the deadline. A good May makes them a contender. It sure is going to be interesting but I think no matter what May will show a different type of club than April.

absolutely agree that it has given this team a chance to contend, and its very exciting to see things coming together at a quicker pace than expected. that's really all I said in my OP if you look back. the part about the bats I still think will hold true...yes their power will come around, but with more power you tend to see batting averages drop(other than the rare Miguel Cabrera's of the world). if anyone thinks Bryant and castro in particular will be anywhere near their current batting averages come the end of the season they need a reality check though :shrug:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
absolutely agree that it has given this team a chance to contend, and its very exciting to see things coming together at a quicker pace than expected. that's really all I said in my OP if you look back. the part about the bats I still think will hold true...yes their power will come around, but with more power you tend to see batting averages drop(other than the rare Miguel Cabrera's of the world). if anyone thinks Bryant and castro in particular will be anywhere near their current batting averages come the end of the season they need a reality check though :shrug:

I can understand Bryant because I still dont see how he just flipped a switch and stop striking out at such a rate. But, why Castro. He has hit .300 before and was at .292 last year. His BABIP even though is high is usually high for Castro because he is a contact guy. He has dropped his K rate to 15%. His number really arent inflated and has all the abilty to stay over .300. Shit, I even predicted he would be in the batting title picture this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To expand on this, Castro last month of the season last year and first month this year.

He has had 186 at bats, 67 hits, and that is a .360 AVG. Castro has started to truly figure things out and may have took the next step everyone was waiting for.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
To expand on this, Castro last month of the season last year and first month this year.

He has had 186 at bats, 67 hits, and that is a .360 AVG. Castro has started to truly figure things out and may have took the next step everyone was waiting for.
Castro in his last 49 games going back to last season has hit safely in 41 of those games with 19 multi hits games..

The kid is a hitter... i have confidence in him getting a hit even when he behind 0-2 on count , cause he simply knows how to make contact most of time to just put ball in play. .

I could see this kid become a yearly .300 hitter ...

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I can understand Bryant because I still dont see how he just flipped a switch and stop striking out at such a rate. But, why Castro. He has hit .300 before and was at .292 last year. His BABIP even though is high is usually high for Castro because he is a contact guy. He has dropped his K rate to 15%. His number really arent inflated and has all the abilty to stay over .300. Shit, I even predicted he would be in the batting title picture this year.

a .300 hitter sure....but that's much different than a .330 hitter

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bryant is getting BB's because of there is a lack of a threat behind him and pitchers can just put him on first base. Castro is legit. He has come alive this year. Rizzo is not doing anything that he has not done before. Now he has Soler and Bryant in the line up with him he is finally not the lone solder.

I'm concerned about Hendricks. I called him the most likely to flop. He has not been putting up 6+ IP per on a regular basis as he did last year. So I'm feeling the league has caught up to him. Not good. LF is still an void. Lake being called up really is another filler move. They need to start to take LF serious soon. Reason being is this team is better than expected so they have to go all in. You never know if the injury bug will hit or not down the road so you have to go all in if the season is going that way.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bryant is getting BB's because of there is a lack of a threat behind him and pitchers can just put him on first base. Castro is legit. He has come alive this year. Rizzo is not doing anything that he has not done before. Now he has Soler and Bryant in the line up with him he is finally not the lone solder.

I'm concerned about Hendricks. I called him the most likely to flop. He has not been putting up 6+ IP per on a regular basis as he did last year. So I'm feeling the league has caught up to him. Not good. LF is still an void. Lake being called up really is another filler move. They need to start to take LF serious soon. Reason being is this team is better than expected so they have to go all in. You never know if the injury bug will hit or not down the road so you have to go all in if the season is going that way.

Hendricks actually looked much better the other night. For whatever reason Maddon does let him work through trouble so eventually either he's his guy or he isn't. Says to me he might go in a trade for a starter. The thing that scouts like so much about Kyle us is ability to learn from bad innings and adjust. If he's not allowed to get past the fifth that's a problem.

I kind of agree on LF. They may need to get a rental at the deadline to bridge to whatever they plan to do next year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
31 pitch 5th inning. That messed him up.

4x's through:

Lester 21.2 IP 6.23 ERA
Arrieta 26.2 IP 2.03 ERA
Hammel 25.1 IP 3.55 ERA
Wood 23.2 IP 3.04 ERA
Hendricks 20.2 IP 5.23 ERA

I feel good about 3/5th's of the rotation right now.

LF: Baez went 1 for 6. Alcantara is mires under .200 vs AAA pitching. I'm not holding my breath for them. Coghlan: .228/.290/.456 BB% is right at 10% and his SO% 22.8%. So alittle high for a guy that lacks power. You would expect him to be more of a contact hitter. Last year: 10% BB 21% SO's. Difference was his .283 BA in 2014. This feels like a repeat of Sweeney 2013 => 2014 and Schierholtz 2013 =>14. They had a 1 year peak but over all are not quality MLB players. IE 4th OF playing starting roles.

I feel the answer lies outside of the org. Guy I would target is Josh Reddick. A's could use Baez. Mega trade Josh and Gray for any package (non roster guys they want.) Including Schwarber, Almora, Vogelbach etc. Think of a return of Edwards, Torres, Jimenez with Vogelbach and McKinney for Riddick and Gray. Cubs end up with a strong 5 man rotation with strong corner OF. A's get a haul of legit prospects. Which is very needed for a small market team.

Riddick becomes a F/A after the 2016 season. So they would be buying 1 year of control on top of this year. That is worth 2 quality prospects. Gray has not hit arb yet. He could get 3-4 just by himself. 6 guys in return would not be a reach here. I would wait until after the draft so last year's picks are up for trade also.