How will the transition to the 3-4 go?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
With Fangio, the defense will be setup for success, but I think it will take a few years before he has all the pieces in place to have the defense he had in SF

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I think that is might take awhile, and that's why this yr is a write off yr for me even though they have a lot of the pieces to be good, NOT very good or great, offensively.

I think they need time to figure out 3 of the LBing spots and that's huge in a 3-4. They also need to see if there is anything left in that smurf CB's tank or was last yr basically the beginning of the end.

Finally, you're still breaking in a new NT and not entirely set at DE.

I mean, they are not set anywhere, and people like Bostic/Shea/Ego/Vereen have to either perform in the new system or largely be written off.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bar is extremely low right now. I don't see how it isn't instantly raised but a coach like Fangio.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
We'll be better than we were last year. but when Fangio was in SF, their DL was one Justin Smith better than our current group, their DBs were all solid, responsible veterans, and their LBs were a bunch of elite blue chip players. We could argue our DBs are on par with theirs, but our front 7 is way, way worse than theirs. We aren't going to be the same type of force they were.

Fox's d had an elite secondary and two elite pass rushers. We don't have elite anything.

Just feels like Fox/Fangio can only do so much with what they have. ceiling is limited.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
even with a low bar and a new scheme, i think we'll be MUCH better overall this year on DEF. expect us to move up the charts in every category.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think all reasonable fans knew that this defense is a two-year rebuilding project. We might actually look worse than last year for the first few games, if only because half of our starters are learning system that is completely new to them.

However, with a quality coaching staff, who knows how much we might improve in a short period of time? Competent coaches that have a vision for how to actually create a successful game plan against top tier offenses are game changers in their own right.

So I guess what I am saying is: temper your expectations, but look forward to some exciting football. We may not beat GB this year, but at least they wont put up 50+ points on us when they retire Favre's jersey.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The bears will play much harder but its hard to say they will be much better this year statistically especially with a tougher schedule and plenty of unknowns at LB. The bears are headed in the right direction however the depth on this team is so poor that without a injury free year the bears will struggle...It will take a few years to build depth and field a competitive team regardless of injury.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The bears will play much harder but its hard to say they will be much better this year statistically especially with a tougher schedule and plenty of unknowns at LB. The bears are headed in the right direction however the depth on this team is so poor that without a injury free year the bears will struggle...It will take a few years to build depth and field a competitive team regardless of injury.

people keep citing "tougher schedule" every year. I was wondering how exactly that's possible.

secondly, half the battle is defenders actually targeting the opposition more accurately. cause that went out the window with Tucker apparently. that's the kind of stuff that can take them from #32 to #16 alone.

I'm not expecting the team to become elite overnight, but they were terrible enough on both fronts last year and on defense the last 2 years that I think putting the megaminds to work will yield significantly better results.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
people keep citing "tougher schedule" every year. I was wondering how exactly that's possible.

secondly, half the battle is defenders actually targeting the opposition more accurately. cause that went out the window with Tucker apparently. that's the kind of stuff that can take them from #32 to #16 alone.

I'm not expecting the team to become elite overnight, but they were terrible enough on both fronts last year and on defense the last 2 years that I think putting the megaminds to work will yield significantly better results.

well the bears sos for 2015 is .531 which is the highest they've faced in the last 4yrs so it is in essence a tougher schedule...

At the end of the day the bears did not have strategy and did not have much player ability. Lets be real, ratliff could be a solid piece...allen is 33? and houston and young are coming off of injuries. Who else is there that is a game changer? Mcphee was brought in a core piece of the defense but I am certainly not expecting a jump from 32 to 16...Guys they envision as significant contributors means little until the pads come on in camp.

Dont drink the kool-aid at least not till training camp gets underway.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I wouldn't be surprised if we became the best defense in the division next season, which isn't really saying much. Still far from any team in the West.

Nick80

4-3 -> 3-4 ...

Not sure if it'll be as smooth as the above equation, but we have to hope, for the sake of Corney Washington.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There will be bumps and growing pains.

People should be realistic and look for a unit to look better coached and to compete harder.

Hoping they jump from 31st to 18-21.

The unit is still light on talent.

Chicago Da Team

Elite Member!
Donator
Liked Posts:
All I'm going to say is..... we went from one of the worst DC's to one of the Best! We dont know what kind of talent we have on this team till we see them play under a competent coaching staff.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There will be bumps and growing pains.

People should be realistic and look for a unit to look better coached and to compete harder.

Hoping they jump from 31st to 18-21.

The unit is still light on talent.

I'd be thrilled if we could get to 16th or so.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
il_340x270.508473113_9vus.jpg

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My sources tell me that in exchange for hosting the draft in Chicago and being saddled with Mel Tucker for two painfully long years...the NFL has awarded the Bears a twelfth man on defense and will be able to run the coveted 4-4.

(Still finish last in sacks)

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I'm just glad we don't have any nerds coaching this team anymore. Because nerd is bad.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Probably much better than the transition to Mel Tucker.