Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cavs get Joe Johnson and it won't matter

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Cavs get Joe Johnson and it won't matter

That's not likely happening from the latest news. Cavs are already going to be waaaaaay over the luxury tax, which Gilbert is concerned about, and they still haven't signed Thompson or Lebron yet. Nets don't want any part of Varaejao in a trade either.

If the Cavs bring back all their FA's, their payroll is looking at something around $130 million for just 10 players alone. They still have 3 more slots to fill after that.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's not likely happening from the latest news. Cavs are already going to be waaaaaay over the luxury tax, which Gilbert is concerned about, and they still haven't signed Thompson or Lebron yet. Nets don't want any part of Varaejao in a trade either.

If the Cavs bring back all their FA's, their payroll is looking at something around $130 million for just 10 players alone. They still have 3 more slots to fill after that.
Thats the payroll before luxury tax.. add in luxury tax and it will be at $250 million I believe.

If they acquired Joe Johnson and kept Varejao (which I think is impossible), they would have a payroll + luxury tax bill around $320 billion.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Thats the payroll before luxury tax.. add in luxury tax and it will be at $250 million I believe.

If they acquired Joe Johnson and kept Varejao (which I think is impossible), they would have a payroll + luxury tax bill around $320 billion.

Good Christ! I think they only took in an operating income of around $35 million last year alone. Looks like it's $80-90 tickets for nose bleed seats if that happens.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good Christ! I think they only took in an operating income of around $35 million last year alone. Looks like it's $80-90 tickets for nose bleed seats if that happens.
Well I don't see them acquiring JJ. I think they'll mostly stay as is and re-sign JR Smith to some kind of contract then find 3 fillers (likely old veterans who may or may not still be effective) and then call it a day.

But that $250 million is still a major price tag.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:

Now that scares me and pisses me off equally. I want Crawford back in a Bulls uni though it likely will never happen. Though, I don't see how that makes much sense for Clips since 1) they can't match that salary and would have to send another player somwhere (something they won't be doing to match that salary) and 2) they are looking for an actual SERVICEABLE big man, not the shell of a former one.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Now that scares me and pisses me off equally. I want Crawford back in a Bulls uni though it likely will never happen. Though, I don't see how that makes much sense for Clips since 1) they can't match that salary and would have to send another player somwhere (something they won't be doing to match that salary) and 2) they are looking for an actual SERVICEABLE big man, not the shell of a former one.
Isn't Jamal just JR Smith, but the older version?

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Isn't Jamal just JR Smith, but the older version?

Oh not at all. Jamal can actually run the point and run it fairly well. Even if his shot isn't falling, he is an extra playmaker on the floor.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
David west gives up $11 million to play for a contender. He just signed with the spurs.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haywood will be traded for a matching salary asset very soon. Whether that is with Varajeo for Johnson's 23 million, or maybe the Nets take a sign and trade with J.R.Smith and the Haywood deal. But something has to add up to 23,000,000 in Joe Johnson coming back.

The Haywood contract is a $10,000,000 asset available to open 10,000,000 of cap space to anybody. Obviously the Cavs are going over the cap anyway so it does nothing for them. Haywood can sign as a Free agent after this is over, but this contract is special in that it can be waived until next week. Nobody is going to pay him 10,000,000. Its a book cleaning move. You trade for the 10 million, and you waive him and clear your books.

Sorry, people seemed confused so I tried.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haywood will be traded for a matching salary asset very soon. Whether that is with Varajeo for Johnson's 23 million, or maybe the Nets take a sign and trade with J.R.Smith and the Haywood deal. But something has to add up to 23,000,000 in Joe Johnson coming back.

The Haywood contract is a $10,000,000 asset available to open 10,000,000 of cap space to anybody. Obviously the Cavs are going over the cap anyway so it does nothing for them. Haywood can sign as a Free agent after this is over, but this contract is special in that it can be waived until next week. Nobody is going to pay him 10,000,000. Its a book cleaning move. You trade for the 10 million, and you waive him and clear your books.

Thats the way I understood it.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why don't they make a run at KD for Haywood while they're at it? The Clippers aren't giving Crawford away to free up $10 million while there is nothing of value left in FA and Balmer could care less what their payroll is.

What an absolute shit report and absolute shit post by Scoot. Absolute shit.
Heh?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

So if my understanding is correct, teams who are over the tax apron cannot acquire any player in a sign-and-trade. The Nets are still over the tax apron thus they could not acquire JR Smith in a trade. Cleveland would have to find someone else to trade.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
RIP NBA if this happens

better trio than Bron-Wade-Bosh IMO...defensively Miami's is better but the offense would be so potent with Curry-Klay-KD...i don't seen how anybody could contain them

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't forget Gerald Green just signed up. If they could keep Thompson in that scenario, if, or even without, it is a nightmare. I don't want to see a KD and Curry show. Fuck me. What do you do? But combining them with Green down low next to another slasher or big depending on matchups. And KD can play PF too from his international ball. so its just a bad bad idea. I hope that is deemed impossible by golden state or undesirable for Durant.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
RIP NBA if this happens

better trio than Bron-Wade-Bosh IMO...defensively Miami's is better but the offense would be so potent with Curry-Klay-KD...i don't seen how anybody could contain them

The bulls better clear cap space to make a run.