RUNDBLAD EXTENSION - 2 Years $1 mil AAV

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Olsen... no a reminder that no they weren't examined quite well, and neither was Dahlbeck yet, maybe he will be but his positioning skills were horribly lacking. Olsen couldn't even handle being demoted to the AHL this year and was done because of how bad he is.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Personally, I thought Cumiskey looked better and probably is worth more of the mil than Runblad (and I think Runblad could have been had for 750k), but overall this doesn't really put the team in a major bind.

When you factor in Rundblad's age and his potential upside (who knows if he'll achieve it), it's an easy decision over Cumiskey (who is the equivalent of a AAAA player in MLB). Also, Rundblad could not have been had for 750k. He made 850k last year and was due a raise; 1M AAV is not an inflated number for him. I get that he's one of the favorite punching bags of a talent-spoiled fanbase, but Rundblad is about what the average 6/7 NHL Dman looks like. I expected him to resigned all along, and expect Nordstrom will be wrapped up as well as a 12/13th wing.

Ton

Liked Posts:
When you factor in Rundblad's age and his potential upside (who knows if he'll achieve it), it's an easy decision over Cumiskey (who is the equivalent of a AAAA player in MLB). Also, Rundblad could not have been had for 750k. He made 850k last year and was due a raise; 1M AAV is not an inflated number for him. I get that he's one of the favorite punching bags of a talent-spoiled fanbase, but Rundblad is about what the average 6/7 NHL Dman looks like. I expected him to resigned all along, and expect Nordstrom will be wrapped up as well as a 12/13th wing.

I agree with this, but I really don't want to see Nordstrom back.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Nice to see Runblad take a team friendly cap hit. Would be nice if the selfish Saad would do the same.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh. Worst case scenario we have a whipping boy. Best case he continues to develop and becomes a legitimate 4,5,6 D-man.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

I have to disagree with Rundblad being what the average 6/7 dman looks like. He is honestly worse. He isn't ready for the NHL and his "potential" isn't being realized. Of course we are spoiled with Oduya being probably the best #4 guy out there and Rozsival being a damn good #5/6 guy. There are likely going to be downgrades on D next year and Rundblad being signed to an extension could be the start of it.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I have to disagree with Rundblad being what the average 6/7 dman looks like. He is honestly worse. He isn't ready for the NHL and his "potential" isn't being realized. Of course we are spoiled with Oduya being probably the best #4 guy out there and Rozsival being a damn good #5/6 guy. There are likely going to be downgrades on D next year and Rundblad being signed to an extension could be the start of it.

How is he worse than a 6/7 defenseman?

He had 14 points in 49 games and was a +17. Find another #7 defenseman that did that.

Hes only 24... he got his feet wet this season, hopefully he continues to improve. The experience he gained this season was very important for his development IMO.

I think Q will lean on him and TVR more than Johns/insert prospect here next season if no other defenseman are acquired. As much as I like our defensive prospects, you can't just throw them into the fire. Johns might be the only one that could handle that... but you also need 2/3 more.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
How is he worse than a 6/7 defenseman?

He had 14 points in 49 games and was a +17. Find another #7 defenseman that did that.

Hes only 24... he got his feet wet this season, hopefully he continues to improve. The experience he gained this season was very important for his development IMO.

I think Q will lean on him and TVR more than Johns/insert prospect here next season if no other defenseman are acquired. As much as I like our defensive prospects, you can't just throw them into the fire. Johns might be the only one that could handle that... but you also need 2/3 more.

Let me know another #6/7 that was shielded as much as Rundblad. Another #6/7 that played with one of the top Dmen in the league. Using stats with Rundblad is useless and doesn't even come close to telling the story with him. People rely on stats way too much. Time and place for them and this certainly isn't one of them. Hell, based on those stats that you posted, the Blackhawks are getting one hell of a deal with Rundblad, he is worth much more!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I know I always felt spoiled with Rozival on the ice... man that dude knows how to derp the fuck outta a shift.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Let me know another #6/7 that was shielded as much as Rundblad. Another #6/7 that played with one of the top Dmen in the league. Using stats with Rundblad is useless and doesn't even come close to telling the story with him. People rely on stats way too much. Time and place for them and this certainly isn't one of them. Hell, based on those stats that you posted, the Blackhawks are getting one hell of a deal with Rundblad, he is worth much more!

You sound like the Hawk Harrelson of hockey.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It felt like the shielding was just Q's preference when he had 4 great defense men who could do it.

Runblaad not only is improving and 24, but his +17 was THIRD on the team. You know why? Because the opponent rarely rarely almost never scored with him on the ice. He was only involved in a few goals. He didn't get to +17 by having 30 points. He got there because we scored some and he rarely gave up goals.

I'm not saying he even has #4 potential. I know he doesn't. But him and TVR can give us valuable minutes next year and keep a place warm for the farm guys we don't want to rely on too young.

Reactions: Ton

Ton

Liked Posts:
It felt like the shielding was just Q's preference when he had 4 great defense men who could do it.

Runblaad not only is improving and 24, but his +17 was THIRD on the team. You know why? Because the opponent rarely rarely almost never scored with him on the ice. He was only involved in a few goals. He didn't get to +17 by having 30 points. He got there because we scored some and he rarely gave up goals.

I'm not saying he even has #4 potential. I know he doesn't. But him and TVR can give us valuable minutes next year and keep a place warm for the farm guys we don't want to rely on too young.

Exactly. Since when did young defenseman with NHL experience AND Stanley Cup experience grow on trees?

He was far from perfect, but he was A-OK in my book. For $1M, it's fine to slot him on the third pairing. At worst he is the #7... if he improves even a little bit, he'll be fine for the bottom pairing, full time.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Truthfully I thought after games 1 & 2 of the Finals Rundblad looked alright there and Cumiskey was a problem more than him, and he continued to be so after it. I get the TVR fitting his right side and he was hopefully gonna improve as he struggled game 3, but I thought even then he played worse than Rundblad. Not that it means after he can get healthy and train all summer that he won't still be an improved better player.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Since when did young defenseman with NHL experience AND Stanley Cup experience grow on trees?

He was far from perfect, but he was A-OK in my book. For $1M, it's fine to slot him on the third pairing.

What exactly is the problem? Where was the #6 or #7 guy supposed to come from? Its not even a signing, its just juggling our depth. Lets wait and see what the roster looks like...fucking hell.

Not signing Runblaad does nothing except lose an asset we can trade later. If you bring Johns up it costs 1,000,000 roster spot and you have to move somebody. If you bring Cumiskey up.
If Runblaad loses a roster position battle he will be gone before you can blink? What is the fucking problem?

Reactions: Ton

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How in the name of Zeus' butthole were we spoiled by having someone old, slow, prone to turnovers, and who's skating speed from blueline to bluleline ranked somewhere between Boynton and Cullimore?

Rosival leaving is an upgrade to defense. Over the past 2 years he's only shown up for this past year's Minny series.

Ton

Liked Posts:
What exactly is the problem? Where was the #6 or #7 guy supposed to come from? Its not even a signing, its just juggling our depth. Lets wait and see what the roster looks like...fucking hell.

Not signing Runblaad does nothing except lose an asset we can trade later. If you bring Johns up it costs 1,000,000 roster spot and you have to move somebody. If you bring Cumiskey up.
If Runblaad loses a roster position battle he will be gone before you can blink? What is the fucking problem?

Preaching to the choir here, haha