Curtis Conway ranks top five Bears players

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sad the lovie era D is gone. That was some fun shit to watch.

I am desperate for a modern, competent O in Chi, but D is still my favorite. Especially a scoring D like Lovie had.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
@seattle, monday night. At Harris' peak he could destroy an offense all be himself, what else do you want? In terms of quickness, and fit to a defense I never saw a better playmaking DT for about 2 years
So you are saying Harris was better than Joe Greene, Dan Hampton, Leroy Selmon, JJ Watt, Reggie White, Warren Sapp, Alan Page, John Randle, Merlin Olsen........idiot

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a joke.
images

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I was at that game, I agree how good he was, his body of work pales to what Hampton did. Hampton not only had that burst of speed coming off of the ball snap his power was amazing.

Add to the fact that Hampton was amazing at both DT and DE. Something most D-linemen wish they could do.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
So you are saying Harris was better than Joe Greene, Dan Hampton, Leroy Selmon, JJ Watt, Reggie White, Warren Sapp, Alan Page, John Randle, Merlin Olsen........idiot

I agree, I loved what Harris brought to the D, but his run was pretty short, and theres no way it equals what Hampton brought in his career. Hell I'd say that Dent had brought much more in his career. Harris was dominate for a short time, but sadly injuries robbed him of what he could've done.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Butkis and Payton are automatic locks in the top five. After that everything is subjective. I'm sure my dad could come up with a couple of guys in the 60s that could make the team. I'm sure Bill George would be one that he would bring up. I mean eight time first team all pro, HOF, all 50's team. Bronco Nagurski, another mention, Sid Luckman, and so on. Even today guys like Mike Brown and Brian Urlacher could be mentioned. There should be someone from the 80s team, I do like Hampton although Dent was a helluva player. I even can see how Singletary could be considered. The key to that defense was the ability to sniff out and quickly adapt to changes and Singletary IMHO never got as much credit as he deserved for his play. Without him that defense would have been untenable.

It's all so subjective though.

Liked Posts:

He definitely didn't end up becoming one of the greatest players in franchise history. I always wondered how things would have went for him had he not torn his hamstring from his leg. Before that specific injury Harris was a force that played great against the passing game & running game just as well. He was never the same player after that injury though. Even though he did manage to rake in 8 sacks in 2007 they were hollow sacks that weren't surrounded with the constant pressure in the QB's face, & his run defense became anemic. I still have my doubts though, I don't believe that Harris worked as hard as he could have, once his natural ability was hindered.

Too bad he didn't seem to put the work in to reinvent himself once he had lost the natural quick twitch & burst off the LOS he had that made him the motor of Lovies Tampa 2, & was so disruptive to begin with.

I agree, Tommie doesn't sniff the top 5 or 10 list. He spent an awful lot of time on his back during the last couple of seasons he was a Bear.

I'd definitely take Hampton & even Mongo on the list(who isn't list worth yet was very underrated, IMO),before even thinking about Harris.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
@seattle, monday night. At Harris' peak he could destroy an offense all be himself, what else do you want? In terms of quickness, and fit to a defense I never saw a better playmaking DT for about 2 years

............Wut

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Singletary retired, there was absolutely no question that he would be a first ballot HOFer. There wasn't even any discussion about it, even by Bears haters.

First Ballot, no question.
Mike Singletary (1981-1992):
10 Pro Bowl slections
8 first team All Pro selections
1980’s All Decade Team
2 NFL Defensive Play of the Year awards
1,488 tackles, 19 sacks, 7 interceptions
1998 Hall of Fame

Brian Urlacher (2000-2013):
8 Pro Bowls
5 All-Pro Selections
1 Defensive Player Of The Year
Defensive Rookie Of The Year
Named to the 2000’s All Decade Team
Bears record for most tackles in a season (153)
Bears all time tackle leader (1,779 tackles)
41.5 sacks, 22 interceptions

Pretty close, Urlacher listed as playing 2 more seasons than Samurai, If I remember right he (BU) missed almost 2 full seasons due to injury. Urlacher had more range and was better in pass coverage IMHO. I'd also add that Singletary had much better Dline players in front of him keeping Oline off of him.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Singletary (1981-1992):
10 Pro Bowl slections
8 first team All Pro selections
1980’s All Decade Team
2 NFL Defensive Play of the Year awards
1,488 tackles, 19 sacks, 7 interceptions
1998 Hall of Fame

Brian Urlacher (2000-2013):
8 Pro Bowls
5 All-Pro Selections
1 Defensive Player Of The Year
Defensive Rookie Of The Year
Named to the 2000’s All Decade Team
Bears record for most tackles in a season (153)
Bears all time tackle leader (1,779 tackles)
41.5 sacks, 22 interceptions

Pretty close, Urlacher listed as playing 2 more seasons than Samurai, If I remember right he (BU) missed almost 2 full seasons due to injury. Urlacher had more range and was better in pass coverage IMHO.

What hurts Urlacher is that his dominance was chopped up and really very brief. His four 1st team All Pro selections came early in his career. His last six years in the league he only made two Pro Bowls.

Singletary was first team All Pro in 1991 and even in his last season of 1992 made the Pro Bowl. Singletary made 6 straight first team all pro teams. Singletary IMO was the more dominant player in his era.

I also think as we've moved away from his playing days we've begun to underestimate Singletary as an athlete. No, he wasn't Urlacher..no one really was. But Singletary was very good in pass coverage and won DPOY honors in two different systems.

Singletary was really really great. Urlacher's athletic ability make him really tempting but as far as "legacy" goes I'd take Singletary

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Commentary on Singletary's HOF induction day....On both Baylor and Bear teams, Singletary was known, first, as the best linebacker of his time and, second, as a tackler who hit ballcarriers so hard that he kept breaking helmets.Asked how many helmets he cracked, Singletary said, "Nine in college and five with the Bears."
A moment later, he said: "That's all I can remember. That's not a good sign, is it?"

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is all very subjective, especially looking at players from different eras.

For me:

Top 5 Bears Players:

Payton
Butkus
Sayers: Controversial pick for many but two-time rushing champion, five-time All-Pro, 22 TDs as a rookie, and over 30 yard avg. as a return man along with HOF for only seven seasons gets my vote.
Luckman
George or possibly Nagurski

I also toyed with Ditka only because of how he changed the TE position but left him off the top 5. Would have him, Atkins, Hampton, Dent, Singletary, Urlacher, either George or Nagurski, depending who I left off the top 5 and probably Grange in the top 15. There is a player my dad and grandfather would talk about, Clyde Turner who I really never heard much on who played back in the 40’s & 50’s. They both said he was one of the better Bear players but I really don’t know much about him or his career.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know that posters age come in to the equation, but anybody who leaves Sayers off the list, is an idiot.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Over Rodgers, Favre, and Starr!!!!!!!!!!

I musta missed where those guys played for the bears. or where you talkin bout yer fav team again the packers?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think it's a 6 way tie for first, all of which being Mike Ditka at different parts of his life (my personal fav is the aging, introspective one that periodically falls asleep while on national TV).

DitkaSLeeping.gif

Ommy, I now we don't always see eye to eye, but can't we at least agree on that?