Saad Traded to Columbus

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Report: Brandon Saad 'crushed' by trade to Columbus
http://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks-hockey/7/71/736077/report-brandon-saad-crushed-trade-columbus

It's water under the bridge, but if this report is true, were Saad and his agent on different pages?
Different pages...Different books...Different libraries...Different web press...

...Different trees. :facepalm:

I heard Saad put contract negotiations entirely in the hands of his agent
1-Cool-Hand-Luke-quotes.gif

In your mind, substitute we've with they've.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
your avatar Samurai, I believe is a George Catlin. My ancestor painted that, I recognize the style, because he was more anthropologist than painter and used that natural red paint. I forgot we are at the "blackhawhks" forum, I get it.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
your avatar Samurai, I believe is a George Catlin. My ancestor painted that, I recognize the style, because he was more anthropologist than painter and used that natural red paint. I forgot we are at the "blackhawhks" forum, I get it.
Nice!

It's absolutely a Catlin. I've been a fan for a while. If I ever get to Washington DC, seeing his collection in the Smithsonian is on my checklist. I have a good amount of Cherokee blood from my Dad's side. In fact, he was a past director of AIDA, a Chicago Indian business association. My Mom was 100% Swedish, so nobody believes me regarding my Indian lineage...unless you go hunting or fishing with me, then it makes sense. I tell people my Indian name is "Little Running Bjorn" :p

37ed8781-e95e-4996-8ba9-3784f784c1a2.jpg

See, nothing Indiany about this^^^^

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
Yup - and the Hawks have enough big dollars invested in forwards. Next big deal goes to Seabs.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just watched all of Dano's goals. I think we might have been over zealous about Dano on first sight seeing production and age. He is a bit of a cross between Shaw and Toews. He is a sharp shooter for sure, kind of scrappy for his size. He gets in there and scores rebounds with a good quick stick but he isn't the playmaker I initially though the the Hartnell assist.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, Dano definitely has the more edge like Toews or Shaw, with proper fitting size comparison.

I pretty much figured that deke & pass over to Hartnel is one of those elite rookie flashpan highlights you see that show the skill a player could have, but you rarely see them pull it off again like Toews(I think 2nd goal) vs Colorado where he deked out several players. Kevin Hayes also had one this year, also against Colorado. Point is, you see a lot of those young highlights and that one is gonna be up on Dano's top highlights even after he hopefully has a fantastic career.

That shitty Colorado D of the Toews goal was the horrible depleted Avs roster Q got to the playoffs, then still got fired. That team had no business with it's talent and old stars, Sakic was then 38 and not healthy but they still got in and won their 1st round series... the choice to fire Q there was really a big mistake on that clubs part. Or they should've at least done a stronger rebuild but now I'm rambling.

6 for 6 is a whole lot, would of been more than even a pure Sharp freed up cap trade. That's just not fittable. It's Taylor Hall money for a RFA, or I think they gave Nudge the same deal. But Hall already produced 5 pts above a PPG level and was clearly still with higher eesteem as a prospect to grow. Saad will be fun to occasionally still see "firing the cannons!"

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
Some former assistant GM on Sirius NHL Radio thinks Saad and the younger Blackhawks are disillusioned because they're asked to take the "home team discount" [sic] and Toews and Kane did not.

Of course, he and the host of the show said Saad was a center man.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, Dano definitely has the more edge like Toews or Shaw, with proper fitting size comparison.

I pretty much figured that deke & pass over to Hartnel is one of those elite rookie flashpan highlights you see that show the skill a player could have, but you rarely see them pull it off again like Toews(I think 2nd goal) vs Colorado where he deked out several players. Kevin Hayes also had one this year, also against Colorado. Point is, you see a lot of those young highlights and that one is gonna be up on Dano's top highlights even after he hopefully has a fantastic career.

That shitty Colorado D of the Toews goal was the horrible depleted Avs roster Q got to the playoffs, then still got fired. That team had no business with it's talent and old stars, Sakic was then 38 and not healthy but they still got in and won their 1st round series... the choice to fire Q there was really a big mistake on that clubs part. Or they should've at least done a stronger rebuild but now I'm rambling.

6 for 6 is a whole lot, would of been more than even a pure Sharp freed up cap trade. That's just not fittable. It's Taylor Hall money for a RFA, or I think they gave Nudge the same deal. But Hall already produced 5 pts above a PPG level and was clearly still with higher eesteem as a prospect to grow. Saad will be fun to occasionally still see "firing the cannons!"

yes...I would have to see how his assists came about to project him better to the Hawks. Originally I envisioned ridiculous skill pairing potential with Teuvo Dano Kane, but he doesn't look like a creator from his goals. He looks like Shaw with a more accurate shot on rebounds from 5-12 feet out. As deadly accurate as Taser? Is anybody? But he very much looked like Shaw to me scrapping in the front, just a little bigger. Scrapping and yapping and stabbing at lose pucks, redirects. And howister if set up in close, which both aspects of his game fit well with the Hawks playmakers and asking him into screen game. So I do think its a good fit, but not a second Teuvo. More of a second Shaw. Little bigger. I'll say better shot, hands, stick.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don't see why everyone begrudges players wanting money. They play, perform, expect to get paid. Let's see two year 6 mil deal or 6 year 36 mil deal hmmmm. He has two cups. Been paid crap on his first deal. Everyone acts like hockey players getting nba money. Scrubs in nba get paid more then Kane and toewes lol. I don't blame him for wanting a competitive compensation rather then a bridge contract all power to him. Actually I'm interested to see how his career plays out without the all star team.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
He'd better produce like a top winger in Columbus. They had three guys with more points than Saad last year, and all make less money than him.

My question is, where does the improvement come? He came into the league with an NHL-ready body, his 2-way play has improved, he's already surrounded by talent.

What is Saad's growth curve?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well the thing is with the Hawks people were already throwing out the term power forward with him a bit early and they seemed to want that to become his game. Where he could get to the net more frequently and battle harder. That was slowly becoming a thing he would do but around parts like this some people were critiquing how he didn't take hits to make plays around the boards like they wished he would.

The thing is with Colubmus, he's not really a bigger forward compared to the size and style of players they have even like Folingo, RoJo, or Hartnell. So he might be able to grow focusing more on his speed and skillsets at a perimeter levels. Perhaps he could grow to doing more with the pucks while he bursts with speed around the outside a lot, he rarely had the skill to deke it inside on the rush or generate a great shot selection if it wasn't a breakaway moment from it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'd better produce like a top winger in Columbus. They had three guys with more points than Saad last year, and all make less money than him.

My question is, where does the improvement come? He came into the league with an NHL-ready body, his 2-way play has improved, he's already surrounded by talent.

What is Saad's growth curve?

At 22 he is still going to add some man strength for another 3-5 years and the power disruption stuff can become more his game as his durability goes up. Speed guys are rarely power guys. It takes different muscle consistency for one extreme or the other.

I think the bottom line is he has as much cub and playoff and success experience as you will ever find in a 22 year old. What? Crosby? Ok....pay him 12 then. Saad's credentials are hard to come by.

Add in that you pay a premium for elite traits. Saad has speed. He is essentially the ultimate non-power non-playmaking speed wing who can finish. Play 2 ways. Do a little of everything and be the fastest guy on the ice. If you want that trait, you have to pay for it.

I agree it doesn't make sense for us as much as I want him. His value is too high for what he is and its the cost of winning championships. Ladd/Buff/Frolic/Saad and other. Each championship raises the pay scale of the entire team, if we want to stay on the top we gotta keep making moves.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yes...I would have to see how his assists came about to project him better to the Hawks. Originally I envisioned ridiculous skill pairing potential with Teuvo Dano Kane, but he doesn't look like a creator from his goals. He looks like Shaw with a more accurate shot on rebounds from 5-12 feet out. As deadly accurate as Taser? Is anybody? But he very much looked like Shaw to me scrapping in the front, just a little bigger. Scrapping and yapping and stabbing at lose pucks, redirects. And howister if set up in close, which both aspects of his game fit well with the Hawks playmakers and asking him into screen game. So I do think its a good fit, but not a second Teuvo. More of a second Shaw. Little bigger. I'll say better shot, hands, stick.

Tough to say really. In the International play clips, he's playing QB on the PP very much like Kaner does here...but then again it's not as close checking as the NHL is. Still, if they have him at that spot, which he looked very good at, then he must be doing something right. We'll find out in about 4 months or so.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I don't see why everyone begrudges players wanting money. They play, perform, expect to get paid. Let's see two year 6 mil deal or 6 year 36 mil deal hmmmm. He has two cups. Been paid crap on his first deal. Everyone acts like hockey players getting nba money. Scrubs in nba get paid more then Kane and toewes lol. I don't blame him for wanting a competitive compensation rather then a bridge contract all power to him. Actually I'm interested to see how his career plays out without the all star team.

The first half of this is excellent.