Does the Jimmy Butler deal kind of bother anyone else?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Rose is not a playmaker. He does NOT set any of his teammates up. Truthfully, he should be a scoring guard paired with a playmaker with Butler going back to where he belongs as in small forward. This team will not contend this year with our weaknesses at the guard positions. It was halthy last season after Rose got back and made not one bit of difference in the play-offs. They are stuck and should rebuild.

As for dunleavy being a "glue player", that is a joke, right? He was the worst starting small forward in the NBA both offensively a defensively. He should never have been re-signed. They should have used the money to starting rebuilding the guard position with young two way players instead of guys like Hinrich and Dunleavy.
I tend to think the issue of playmaking has more to do with the lack of offensive creativity (thanks Thibs). PG's are supposed to create for others yet rose and all the backup pg's the bulls have had, they were told to all score first pass second basically. That should change under hoiberg as well as pushing the tempo which will also open up more playmaking on fast breaks and such.

As for dunleavy i think it was an ok deal and they made it with the future cap increase in mind. He is neither a good nor bad player in my eyes but he is a veteran that can score in bunches and i'm not sure management is sold on mcdermott or snell leaving no other options... I was not happy that hinrich is back but thats him exercising his player option the bulls should never have built that in but oh well too late now.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I believe he still can improve too. I just hope he becomes a consistent player. I do agree with the defensive skill of butler though. He is not afraid of the challenge. If he can be come consistent on the offensive end then you're absolutely right, this contract would look like a bargain.
Jimmy is one of those guys you can count on to continue working on his game. So if you say he still has potential (which I agree with you that he does) then he's no doubt a max player, no?

I feel confident saying that Jimmy isn't done improving on either side of the ball. I see this season as more a breakout season for him than a one-year wonder.

Jimmy said that this offseason was the first that he focused on improving his basketball skills. In the past, he's working on getting stronger, better conditioned, etc because he's always been a glue guy/role player.

That's kinda scary, no? That Jimmy works purely on his game in an offseason and he blows up like this.

He's uber confident and he just got a taste of how good he can be. Jimmy is a stud and so long as Rose is healthy, those two will be the best backcourt in the league.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Rose is not a playmaker. He does NOT set any of his teammates up. Truthfully, he should be a scoring guard paired with a playmaker with Butler going back to where he belongs as in small forward. This team will not contend this year with our weaknesses at the guard positions. It was halthy last season after Rose got back and made not one bit of difference in the play-offs. They are stuck and should rebuild.

As for dunleavy being a "glue player", that is a joke, right? He was the worst starting small forward in the NBA both offensively a defensively. He should never have been re-signed. They should have used the money to starting rebuilding the guard position with young two way players instead of guys like Hinrich and Dunleavy.

One of the reasons Butler looked so good is because we put him at SG where he can manhandle other guards. Putting him back at SF would take away from that and he'd be average at best. Terrible idea. Rose averaged 8 APG his MVP year with the worst supporting cast I've seen for a playoff team, he's a more than capable playmaker. As for Dunleavy, you're just wrong.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One of the reasons Butler looked so good is because we put him at SG where he can manhandle other guards. Putting him back at SF would take away from that and he'd be average at best. Terrible idea. Rose averaged 8 APG his MVP year with the worst supporting cast I've seen for a playoff team, he's a more than capable playmaker. As for Dunleavy, you're just wrong.
He's kinda wrong about a lot of things. This guy wanted to trade for Rondo, got pissed off when the Bulls didn't acquire Dragic, despite Dragic demanding where he was going...

I use to think Butler was an SF, who couldn't play SG, but he proved that wrong this past season and he will flourish as an SG in this league. The NBA has moved to wings anyways, but he shouldn't be guarding the tallest wing always, though I'm not opposed to him guarding LeBron obviously.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
He's kinda wrong about a lot of things. This guy wanted to trade for Rondo, got pissed off when the Bulls didn't acquire Dragic, despite Dragic demanding where he was going...

I use to think Butler was an SF, who couldn't play SG, but he proved that wrong this past season and he will flourish as an SG in this league. The NBA has moved to wings anyways, but he shouldn't be guarding the tallest wing always, though I'm not opposed to him guarding LeBron obviously.

He wanted to trade for a player that quit on his team in the playoffs, or an average player who just signed a max contract at 30 years old, why does this not surprise me?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Rose dials back the 3's and gets more comfortable with penetration he should be back to his playmaking ways.

To call the youngest MVP pg in the league history not a playmaker or want him gone.

I'm just not with you on that yet Hawk. The Rose we saw in the playoffs just needs to eat healthier and let his rust keep slaughing off.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

Thank You.

I'm convinced he doesn't watch games at all. Analysts weren't calling Rose the best PG in the league for nothing his MVP year. I'll admit he's been sloppy since he's come back but that's due to being away from the game for so long. When Rose was at full strength, he was one of the most dynamic playmakers in the game. Hell even this year, though I did hate it, there was not a single player in the league who could jump in the air, fake out his defender and rifle a pass to an open teammate like Rose was doing. Again, I really didn't like that he was leaving his feet but DAMN did he make those passes look effortless.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Rose dials back the 3's and gets more comfortable with penetration he should be back to his playmaking ways.

To call the youngest MVP pg in the league history not a playmaker or want him gone.

I'm just not with you on that yet Hawk. The Rose we saw in the playoffs just needs to eat healthier and let his rust keep slaughing off.

I hope like you that it is just rust but I just do not see it. I want a playmaking point guard who can set the others up but can score if they lay off of him. MOve him(Rose to scoring guard and put Butler where he belongs, namely at Small forward.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rose is a PG all the way man.

I just about choked out on my own saliva trying to recover.

There are things I don't like about Rose, but we have one of the ten best PG's in the NBA for the next 3 years at least. That group is an excellent group...the top 10. Rose wasn't playing at that level until the playoffs consistently, but he showed he still can.

I'm bullish on his stock, I think next year should be a good one for the ages. Its gonna be close at the end, obviously the super 120,000,000 team in Cleveland is concerning but what can you do? Lebron is a fucking twat.

You don't have to be Lebron to win with that team, you could be fucking Amino.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
lol at Rose not being a playmaker

He most certainly is not. He is a shoot first, second, and third guard ala Allen Iverson. I want a playmaker who looks to set easy baskets up for other people. It makes me sick to see Rose trying to score with two guys guarding him with other players wide open. And his terrible 3 point shooting percentage also hurts the offense.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And at Butler's natural position being SF :lmao:

He is a tweener. Yes he is good as a shooting guard but he is also good as a small forward. What I am talking about is getting Dunleavy out of the starting line-up and give the backcourt a good ball handling point guard. Why is this so hard for you to understand? Open your eyes to reality.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The hawks rants are always entertaining :popcorn:

Rants? IF anyone is ranting it is the people who insult me. Too bad that their minds are closed and non-rational. It actually is funny that apparently many on this board actually think that with this team currently in place is a threat to win the NBA championship. Right now, they are a 5th seed. Other teams are bold and try to improve their team. Look at San Antonio for cripes sake. What are the Bulls doing? They got exposed for a weak ability to create shots and most of that was due to bad skill in the backcourt in creating opportunities for the bigs.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rose is a PG all the way man.

I just about choked out on my own saliva trying to recover.

There are things I don't like about Rose, but we have one of the ten best PG's in the NBA for the next 3 years at least. That group is an excellent group...the top 10. Rose wasn't playing at that level until the playoffs consistently, but he showed he still can.

I'm bullish on his stock, I think next year should be a good one for the ages. Its gonna be close at the end, obviously the super 120,000,000 team in Cleveland is concerning but what can you do? Lebron is a fucking twat.

You don't have to be Lebron to win with that team, you could be fucking Amino.

How many assists does Rose get per game? How about Butler? Then is you really want to be sick, look at their back-ups. Rose might be one of the best GUARDS because of his ability to get to the rim but he is not a point guard and Butler is not a ball handler either. It is sad. We were top heavy with bigs and had a cadre of weak ball-handlers.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He most certainly is not. He is a shoot first, second, and third guard ala Allen Iverson. I want a playmaker who looks to set easy baskets up for other people. It makes me sick to see Rose trying to score with two guys guarding him with other players wide open. And his terrible 3 point shooting percentage also hurts the offense.

Okay...this is just bad. Iverson at 26 put up 28 shots per game. This past season Rose shot a little over 16 times per game. I don't see the relation at all.

Plus, read this a little slow...WHO THE HELL WAS IVERSON GOING TO PASS THE BALL TO???

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well....Rose had to learn to shoot, because he was a playmaking score or assist or get to the line point guard. I expect last year was difficult to be an NBA point guard and have been out of the game. Jordan was the greatest ever and even he was well rusty after his break from game speed of the NBA.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Meh, I don't think Derrick is a PG by definition. I think he's more of a combo guard, which isn't a bad thing.

His scoring ability is why he was one of the best players in the league when he was healthy.

That said, I think Derrick's passing and play making has grown by leaps and bounds since his rookie year. He's making a lot more advanced passes than he used to (looking off defenders, anticipating passing lanes, passing to space, seeing over defenses).

Just like I don't think Steph is a PG. I think he's a combo guard too.

Derrick is at his best when he blends his scoring and passing. When he has that balance.