How would this team be different if the Bears never extended Cutler?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would Emery and Trestman still be around?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought they pulled the plug on emery too soon but I don't blame the cutler contract for his firing I blame his coaching hires that my friends is what got him thrown out the window

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought they pulled the plug on emery too soon but I don't blame the cutler contract for his firing I blame his coaching hires that my friends is what got him thrown out the window
The coaching was fine, on the offensive side of the ball anyway, the first year. Cutler missed a good amount of time, McCown was on fire so no time for Cutler's antics. That offense was projected to do even better the following year but then Cutler reverted to his coach killing antics and alienating his teammates in the process. The locker room was lost and Trestman wasn't strong enough to pull it back or do anything about Cutler's BS until the damage had already been done.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
If the Bears stuck with Josh McCown for 2014, then that means the Bears would currently have Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston on their roster.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
The coaching was fine, on the offensive side of the ball anyway, the first year. Cutler missed a good amount of time, McCown was on fire so no time for Cutler's antics. That offense was projected to do even better the following year but then Cutler reverted to his coach killing antics and alienating his teammates in the process. The locker room was lost and Trestman wasn't strong enough to pull it back or do anything about Cutler's BS until the damage had already been done.

married2.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears stuck with Josh McCown for 2014, then that means the Bears would currently have Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston on their roster.
Doubt that. If anything they'd have been a little better. He completely outplayed Cutler in Trestman's system the year before. No reason to expect it would have been different in 2014.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If a butterfly flaps its wings in Kenya, does it change the weather in Chicago?

Fun question but impossible to speculate. A seemingly small change like this in the past would have long reaching implications for most if not all the teams in the NFL.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I wouldnt have minded getting to see Trestman with his own QB under center and a competent DC. unfortunately he had a pos for a gm that fucked them all.

Trestman himself was not competent so he couldn't hire competence to coach for him. Trestman has nothing and is one of the worst coaches in the history of the NFL.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Doubt that. If anything they'd have been a little better. He completely outplayed Cutler in Trestman's system the year before. No reason to expect it would have been different in 2014.

There are 2 major reasons why it would have been different in 2014. 1st, Trestman has always excelled the 1st year and struggled with offensive play calling in his 2nd year with a team. 2nd, McCown is a career backup with below average numbers. He proved in 2014 that 2013 was a fluke.

I am willing to bet that we would have been even worse last year with McCown. We could argue it and it doesn't matter since it is impossible to improve. But the trend would show what is logically more likely.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:

He outplayed him in a good way in 2013 but he outplayed him in turnovers prior to 2013.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
McCown didn't outplay Cutler in 2013 because he's the more talented QB; obviously he isn't. He outplayed him because he played within Trestman's system by the book. His lack of talent possibly made it easier to do that. I think it's likely that he would have continued to do that in 2014, and the offense would have had more stability.

Mitchapalooza

McCown didn't outplay Cutler in 2013 because he's the more talented QB; obviously he isn't. He outplayed him because he played within Trestman's system by the book. His lack of talent possibly made it easier to do that. I think it's likely that he would have continued to do that in 2014, and the offense would have had more stability.

I wanted McCown back for sure, I knew he wouldn't replicate his 2013 numbers but I thought he'd serve as an Orton type QB (in Trestman's offense only cause he sucks ass everywhere else) until we got someone else. But as soon as he got that big payday (for him it was big) I was happy for him. He was coaching HS football before the bears and just made some nice cash when the opportunity arose.

Chinese

Liked Posts:

Actually However you want to twist it. The same system same players less time to gel was given to McCown And he outplayed Cutler period. In fact that run he had never had been match by any Chicago bear. Stop with the excuses. Cutler has never had a good run or year. At least McNown was paid little but played with reward. That can't even be said of Cutler. That year Cutler was clearly out played and if it weren't for MCown that year would have really sucked. Yet the dumb organization rewarded a very undeserving Qb. Next year he is gone. Bet on it. Don't blame the line don't blame his receivers don't blame the coaches bit blame cutler. 10 years of crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Actually However you want to twist it. The same system same players less time to gel was given to McCown And he outplayed Cutler period. In fact that run he had never had been match by any Chicago bear. Stop with the excuses. Cutler has never had a good run or year. At least McNown was paid little but played with reward. That can't even be said of Cutler. That year Cutler was clearly out played and if it weren't for MCown that year would have really sucked. Yet the dumb organization rewarded a very undeserving Qb. Next year he is gone. Bet on it. Don't blame the line don't blame his receivers don't blame the coaches bit blame cutler. 10 years of crap

All true points, but in the end the net result of extending Cutler was probably about the same.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Also you have to believe it was Trestman saying that Cutler was great and worth signing over McCown. What does it say about Trestman if he got that talent evaluation wrong? What does it say about this Bears org if someone overruled Trestman and forced the Cutler signing on him?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah, all true.