2015 cubs in season trades

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Just glad Cole is off of the block now. With Lester and Arrieta proving to be a strong 1/2 in the league the focus should be strengthing the back end of the rotation.

It would be nice to get a better #3 than Hammel but not needed.

I guess the question is if Richard can translate his AAA numbers over to the majors. He carves up AAA talent. It is strange that he is not able to repeat that at the next level. I would get it if he was a rookie but not a vet. His stuff is there so not getting it

Clayton Richard is what he is. In MLB he's a career 4.35 ERA and a nearly identical 4.44 FIP with an alarming 1.402 WHIP and he's 31 years old. I hope to never see him pitch for the Cubs again. If the Cubs don't get Tyson Ross I'd be OK with Ian Kennedy or Dan Haren for the rest of the year. Neither are going to cost much, likely a prospect in the 20-30 range which is fine. Neither of those guys will wow anybody but won't scare you like Richard either. Again I'm not convinced that Houston is a lock for Ross and the Cubs and Astros appear to be the only players there.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm terrible at putting trades together...but I'm hoping for something big with SD too still

I'm convinced San Diego is going to put a big deal together, whether that's to Chicago or Houston remains to be seen. If it's here I'm afraid Baez is who's going to go and I'm not sure he won't come back to bite us. Then again I'm not sure he's going to be an MLB star either. There would be risk on both ends of that deal. Ross has terrific stuff, enough to be a #2 on a contender, but he's never put it all together at one time and he walks too many. Baez could be a .275/.330/.500 with 25 plus HR at SS or 2B while playing good D or he could be a utility player with a little pop. It's baseball everything is an educated guess.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Per Twitter from Jayson Stark

Exec whose team has been talking to the #Padres: “It wouldn’t surprise me to see them make four deals in 24 hours.” Is that all?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
My whole point was. .
Dodgers will have 2 months to talk extension with him if one hasnt already been agreed on before trade..

Most kept saying don't trade for a TOR starter now and wait til FA.. i disagree with that cause if teams trade these FA it gives new teams extra time to talk too and try to extend them..

Looking like Price is going to land in Toronto who definitely won't sign him so there will be a bidding war in the offseason.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
what makes you say Toronto won't sign him?

In addition the fact that extensions in these cases are very rare they simply don't have that kind of money. They struggled to find the money for Russell Martin at $75 million so by everything I'm hearing $200 plus million is out of their budget.

The deal is done btw. Daniel Norris and others going to Detroit.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
In addition the fact that extensions in these cases are very rare they simply don't have that kind of money. They struggled to find the money for Russell Martin at $75 million so by everything I'm hearing $200 plus million is out of their budget.

The deal is done btw. Daniel Norris and others going to Detroit.

They only have $40 million toward next year giving them about $100 million to play with. Price fits easily within that budget.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I'm kind of happy that the Cubs didn't deplete their farm system for Price or Hamels. Now, let's see if they make a deal with San Diego or wait till the offseason to do something.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They only have $40 million toward next year giving them about $100 million to play with. Price fits easily within that budget.

OK, we'll see. I know they have money coming off the books but this would be a strange play for them. I also don't think Price even listens to an extension offer. He could be the table setter for the largest FA pitching market to date. Most think he gets more than Scherzer. If nothing else it will be interesting.

On another note will your White Sox try to sign Samardzija now that they've decided to hang on to him? I'm reading 7 years/$150 is what it will take.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
OK, we'll see. I know they have money coming off the books but this would be a strange play for them. I also don't think Price even listens to an extension offer. He could be the table setter for the largest FA pitching market to date. Most think he gets more than Scherzer. If nothing else it will be interesting.

On another note will your White Sox try to sign Samardzija now that they've decided to hang on to him? I'm reading 7 years/$150 is what it will take.

Jeff has turned it around, no doubt, but $21-22 a year? I'd rather have him 5 years at $100-110.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Jeff has turned it around, no doubt, but $21-22 a year? I'd rather have him 5 years at $100-110.

I'd be shocked if he signed that low but the market will be flooded with guys and only so many buyers. Jon Heyman was talking in an interview the other day that Price was likely to get $210 million plus, Grienke, Cueto and Zimmerman $170-$190 mil and Samardzija in the $140-$150 mil range. I don't know if he's right or not but there are only so many high end buyers and that's a lot of cash.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'd be shocked if he signed that low but the market will be flooded with guys and only so many buyers. Jon Heyman was talking in an interview the other day that Price was likely to get $210 million plus, Grienke, Cueto and Zimmerman $170-$190 mil and Samardzija in the $140-$150 mil range. I don't know if he's right or not but there are only so many high end buyers and that's a lot of cash.

I love you post. :)

You go from being shocked to making the case that Jeff ain't getting a massive deal. :)

Sincerely :)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I love you post. :)

You go from being shocked to making the case that Jeff ain't getting a massive deal. :)

Sincerely :)

I can always make both cases of an argument. If the Dodgers go for two starters, the Yankees go for one and the Cubs go for one then someone probably does pay him. If the whole market balks and makes deals instead those numbers go way down. That's what I mean when I've posted in the past that market has to set itself. Price is in no danger of not getting Scherzer money but for the guys after after that the dominoes could fall in a bunch of different ways.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Of the trades so far feel like the Dodgers have done the best. They basically gave up 3 prospects who weren't really big names(think worse than Villanueva level) to eat the money owed to Morse and Latos and they also got a competitive balance pick out of the deal. They gave up basically nothing and got a back of the rotation starter in Latos and ammo to help them get a second starter from ATL.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Gonna throw this out there. .

Anyone think that with the offensive struggles the last couple weeks and the team falling farther behind the Pirates and now Giants and with the Mets at their heels..
Epstein decided to back pedal from his attempt to add a closer, bat, and at least a mid rotation starter...

Now their not connected to anything but maybe Kennedy or Ross to upgrade no.5 spot

I think the bats continued struggle since the break has changed his approach. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Of the trades so far feel like the Dodgers have done the best. They basically gave up 3 prospects who weren't really big names(think worse than Villanueva level) to eat the money owed to Morse and Latos and they also got a competitive balance pick out of the deal. They gave up basically nothing and got a back of the rotation starter in Latos and ammo to help them get a second starter from ATL.

I agree with you although KC picking up Cueto and Zobrist could yield the most impact. As far as the Dodgers go everyone had wondered what Andrew Friedman would do with money. He just ate $28 million in giving up a guy in Hector Olivera, to the guys that came in second for the package he wanted. Couldn't get away with that trick in Tampa Bay.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
2015 ALCS Blue Jays VS Royals

Winner is World Series Champs

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Gonna throw this out there. .

Anyone think that with the offensive struggles the last couple weeks and the team falling farther behind the Pirates and now Giants and with the Mets at their heels..
Epstein decided to back pedal from his attempt to add a closer, bat, and at least a mid rotation starter...

Now their not connected to anything but maybe Kennedy or Ross to upgrade no.5 spot

I think the bats continued struggle since the break has changed his approach. .

Ross is not a 5. His 2.89 FIP puts him only behind Jake Arietta on the Cubs with Lester close behind. If he cuts down just a little on the walks he's instantly your #3.

As far as the rest I think if they were fighting for a Division they would be bigger players. As part of 4 teams chasing a WC, with only the Mets upgrading much I don't see much changing in approach. If they make a huge deal with San Diego it's still more future oriented than for the now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ross is not a 5. His 2.89 FIP puts him only behind Jake Arietta on the Cubs with Lester close behind. If he cuts down just a little on the walks he's instantly your #3.

As far as the rest I think if they were fighting for a Division they would be bigger players. As part of 4 teams chasing a WC, with only the Mets upgrading much I don't see much changing in approach. If they make a huge deal with San Diego it's still more future oriented than for the now.

He sort of reminds me of Arreita actually because he's struggled a bit with walks while still being pretty decent. I think if Ross worked with Bosio he could have a pretty big break through given how Bosio has been able to get both Hammel and Arrieta's walks down.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He sort of reminds me of Arreita actually because he's struggled a bit with walks while still being pretty decent. I think if Ross worked with Bosio he could have a pretty big break through given how Bosio has been able to get both Hammel and Arrieta's walks down.

Agreed. Actually quite a bit better than Baltimore Arietta by the numbers. Also like Arietta when you watch him pitch you see the stuff he has.