2015 cubs in season trades

PickSix

Liked Posts:
If his control could improve, and Bosio specializes in that, he'd be at least a 3 possibly higher. His FIP this year is 2.76 and again cut down on the walks and you're talking a very, very good pitcher. Have you watched him pitch? He has great stuff and he's 28 years old with 2 1/2 years of control. What did you think of Arietta 2 years ago? Ross' numbers are better than his were. Also I'm with SilenceS, don't use W-L in an argument about a pitcher. It's silly.

Agreed. If this was last year or before I'd like this to take a chance of finding an unpolished diamond. I think we are now at a point where we should be after the can't miss.
If we are serious about getting that first title in over 100 years next year or the year after, you need two or three aces. We still need one more TOR.
If you get this guy and sign a TOR in FA, which of our top 4 now goes off the rotation? I just don't see the point on adding a maybe #3.
And get over being too intelligent to ever look at W-L. If you read my post, I included WHIP as the basis for any comparisons.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He was negative fWAR one time in his career before this year. Every other year

Among all SS, where do those numbers rank yearly?

Negative may be incorrect. Bottom of league though. Yet you see that as valuable.

Negative as he is right now means a prospect from minors would make us better. As war is defined. In every other year, it would be "any other SS would make us better".

You are splitting hairs. It's like someone said your mom weighs a ton, and you laugh at them for inaccuracy because she only weighs 1980 pounds.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Negative may be incorrect. Bottom of league though. Yet you see that as valuable.

Negative as he is right now means a prospect from minors would make us better. As war is defined. In every other year, it would be "any other SS would make us better".

You are splitting hairs. It's like someone said your mom weighs a ton, and you laugh at them for inaccuracy because she only weighs 1980 pounds.

:speechless:

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't think it's actually possible for someone to weigh that much.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You need strong D at SS? LOL. Jeter was a SS. The team needs to hit. Castro needs to hit.

While I think many would agree Jeter didn't deserve all five of his gold gloves, none who know anything about baseball would say he wasn't good defensively.

Best, five times? Well, no.
Good? Unquestionably.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@CSNMooney: #Cubs manager Joe Maddon says he told Starlin Castro last night: "Listen, you're not getting traded. Just relax and play."

This should shut down all the Castro trade talks til at least October. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
While I think many would agree Jeter didn't deserve all five of his gold gloves, none who know anything about baseball would say he wasn't good defensively.

Best, five times? Well, no.
Good? Unquestionably.
None who know baseball? More LOL.

The bigger problem? Jeter’s defense. While he’s sure-handed, Jeter’s range has long been suspect—i.e. the balls that Jeter doesn’t reach are costing the Yankees runs. Only three times in his 20-year career did Jeter post a positive defensive WAR, which means that for most of the two decades the Yankees would have gotten better defense from a shortstop they found in AAA.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenst...asure-derek-jeters-greatness-or-lack-thereof/

[video=youtube;__UJ9VZB508]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=__UJ9VZB508[/video]

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Agreed. If this was last year or before I'd like this to take a chance of finding an unpolished diamond. I think we are now at a point where we should be after the can't miss.
If we are serious about getting that first title in over 100 years next year or the year after, you need two or three aces. We still need one more TOR.
If you get this guy and sign a TOR in FA, which of our top 4 now goes off the rotation? I just don't see the point on adding a maybe #3.
And get over being too intelligent to ever look at W-L. If you read my post, I included WHIP as the basis for any comparisons.

Ross isn't a project though. His 2.76 FIP is would be second only to Jake Arietta on the Cubs staff. He needs some improvement and doesn't preclude picking up a TOR. How would Price, Arietta, Lester, Ross, Hammel look as a rotation with Hendricks in the pen?

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Ross isn't a project though. His 2.76 FIP is would be second only to Jake Arietta on the Cubs staff. He needs some improvement and doesn't preclude picking up a TOR. How would Price, Arietta, Lester, Ross, Hammel look as a rotation with Hendricks in the pen?

I do like that starting staff, but would be just as happy without Ross and keeping Hendricks in the rotation. Does Woody go bye bye in the Ross plan then? Not that that is horrible, but Woody seems to be a nice asset in long relief that can give you a lefty arm late in the game if absolutely necessary. Hendricks wouldn't give you that. There are only so many spots available.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
@CSNMooney: #Cubs manager Joe Maddon says he told Starlin Castro last night: "Listen, you're not getting traded. Just relax and play."

This should shut down all the Castro trade talks til at least October. ..

Jesse Rogers is clarifying this a bit:

To be clear, I believe Maddon meant at that moment not a big picture declaration.

Makes a lot more sense.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
UPDATE (John): Jon Heyman writes that the Padres are interested in Javier Baez in what appears to be a hastily written article -- but we'll cut him some slack since he is probably getting run ragged right now. We've been there too.

Baez simply has more value right now than Castro and while the Cubs seem to be willing to deal either player, it would appear Baez has drawn more interest from multiple teams, including the Rays.

Interesting. I'm not sure who i'd rather deal at this point between Baez and Castro.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Interesting. I'm not sure who i'd rather deal at this point between Baez and Castro.

I don't know. That's a very tough call because you're selling awfully low on Castro but Baez may have figured it out with the change in his approach at the plate. If he has he could be scary.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't know. That's a very tough call because you're selling awfully low on Castro but Baez may have figured it out with the change in his approach at the plate. If he has he could be scary.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Baez is over his issues. Obviously my thoughts on him are well known but I sort of wonder if he's just figured out AAA similar to Olt and his K issues will come back in the majors. If I'm wrong and he's truly figured it out then great and I'll be happy to be wrong but I'm just not sure how I feel about adding another guy who has a pretty real shot at being a 30% K guy to the lineup given that's largely been an issue.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm still not 100% convinced that Baez is over his issues. Obviously my thoughts on him are well known but I sort of wonder if he's just figured out AAA similar to Olt and his K issues will come back in the majors. If I'm wrong and he's truly figured it out then great and I'll be happy to be wrong but I'm just not sure how I feel about adding another guy who has a pretty real shot at being a 30% K guy to the lineup given that's largely been an issue.

I don't disagree with that. Soler, Bryant and Russell all have reasonable shots of improving and getting under 25% but there are only so many guys that you can carry in a lineup that strike out that much. If he's moved I'm sure there will be a lot of handwringing but these guys have to be looking for another pitcher. Those are never free.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Look.. if they wanted too they could easily move baez now and castro this off season as they still have Russell to play SS.. and Torres sitting in wing..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Look.. if they wanted too they could easily move baez now and castro this off season as they still have Russell to play SS.. and Torres sitting in wing..

Torres is probably 3 years away though, but yes there is some depth and it's not terribly hard to find a middle infielder, especially for 2B.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If the Rays want Baez like reported, I would really like if we could get Archer back, but Epstein would have to pull off a miracle for that to happen. Realistically, it would be Odorizzi instead.