OT: Thoughts on "Ballers"

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's "pretty", in a flashy Miami-vice kinda way (pretty women, pretty cars, pretty boats, etc). Gritty, but not nearly as gritty as Playmakers was (by design I'm guessing). It's a bit more NFL friendly, which is why the NFL probably hasn't jumped on them about trademarks and copyrights.

All-in-all it's probably good for young NFL players to watch so hopefully some of them can see similarities in real-life scenarios (and people) that they're going to face, and what to look out for. It's a bit too short, and in general hasn't quite met the expectations that it set, at least for me. I'll keep watching just because if nothing else, I'm hoping people like "Reggie" get exposed not just on the show, but in real life. I imagine most pro-athletes have a "Reggie" hanging around, someone from the old neighborhood that they were boys with back in the day that they should just leave behind.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Seems interesting so far. I'm not all-in or anything, but I'll continue to watch it. Yeah, the Reggie guy seems interesting to me. Guys like him and the entourage that they constantly have with him seem to bring some guys down.

I can't imagine being suddenly rich and trying to have tons of people up in my house all the time, trying to roll with me wherever I went and spend my money. No thanks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the rock but the show is pap.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's essentially "Entourage: NFL edition" which means its hot garbage... But it does have Rob Corddry who's slightly entertaining plus it's set down here in Miami with plenty of female eye candy so it's not a complete waste of 30 minutes on Sunday night.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
BringBackDitka's thought of the day:

Miami girls are attractive, but also bitchy.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I watch this will I know what really happens in an NFL locker room, just like if I was there myself?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I watch this will I know what really happens in an NFL locker room, just like if I was there myself?

Actually, so far it seems to be what happens during the off-season in Miami. How realistic is it? Damifino, it's entertainment, there's no Sunday Night Football, and Game of Thrones won't be back until April 2016.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It makes me sad. There's a part of me that thinks it's over the top to grab ratings, but there's a side that actually think it's got some realism to it. When someone starts something for all the right reasons, but then turns into the exact person he's trying to protect people from it's a little disheartening.

Personally I've decided to stop watching. it's sorta a 'meh' type program and there's a lot of better shows on or available through Netflix.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I hate it, cause that means True Detective is over..

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It makes me sad. There's a part of me that thinks it's over the top to grab ratings, but there's a side that actually think it's got some realism to it. When someone starts something for all the right reasons, but then turns into the exact person he's trying to protect people from it's a little disheartening.

Personally I've decided to stop watching. it's sorta a 'meh' type program and there's a lot of better shows on or available through Netflix.

If you haven't discovered it, I find "Rectify" is well worth a viewing. I had seen the first season live, when we used to have Sundance Channel. It is very slow, but in a very encompassing way. Great acting, too."

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's essentially "Entourage: NFL edition" which means its hot garbage... But it does have Rob Corddry who's slightly entertaining plus it's set down here in Miami with plenty of female eye candy so it's not a complete waste of 30 minutes on Sunday night.

This. But I am still watching it, and have no doubt some of the leech type characters on the show are very true to form.

LanceStone

Liked Posts:
First two episodes were kinda "meh", third episode was really good. The jury is still out. I'll report back with my 5 star analysis in a few weeks

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
According to despbro, yes.

No watch playmakers. Actually on slack I said on 4th weekend we hangout w a guy who played for Dolphins pats Vikings and I think someone else for 6 years.

He said playmakers was realistic as FUCK(said was pissed when found out it was cancelled), Everyone knew when the drug testing was coming around and everyone did drugs, played with Richie Incognito and said he was hands down the biggest vile piece of shit human being he's ever been around. Like worse than the media reports told us about.

All the o linemen flew to Vegas and that Richie prick had some drunknut episode and ran into bathroom kicked over stalls , broke mirrors and ripped hand dryers off walls lol.

Oh and he said Fave was greatest teammate. He started as practice squad guy and brett knew everyone regardless of position, by first name basis and treated you just as good as the starters. Invited everyone to go hunting w him
And everything.

Oh and he said to tell you fuck you

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Went to a buddies house over the holiday weekend, did some tubing and wakeboarded. A bro that was hanging out there is a sports agent and said the show "Ballers" is realistic as fuck. Basically said everything that happens in that show happens in real life. Also said only show more realistic than Ballers is Playmakers and Community.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Went to a buddies house over the holiday weekend, did some tubing and wakeboarded. A bro that was hanging out there is a sports agent and said the show "Ballers" is realistic as fuck. Basically said everything that happens in that show happens in real life. Also said only show more realistic than Ballers is Playmakers and Community.

I'm confused. Was your 'bro' actually your brother or was it just a bunch of 'buddies' calling each other 'bro'? The way the story is told I'm thinking it's 'bro' sausagefest where one 'bro' was trying to talk up how cool his job was and that TV was trying to copy his life.

Let me know if I missed the mark.... Bro.....

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I'm confused. Was your 'bro' actually your brother or was it just a bunch of 'buddies' calling each other 'bro'? The way the story is told I'm thinking it's 'bro' sausagefest where one 'bro' was trying to talk up how cool his job was and that TV was trying to copy his life.

Let me know if I missed the mark.... Bro.....

Bro as in bro....bro