Jay Cutler is not a monster

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much of a quarterbacks throwing motion is ingrained in him? I look at it like a baseball swing. Maybe for some an unorthodox throwing motion is better?

Too much.

Rodgers didn't have a problem changing his.....

The stuff Cutler needs to change isn't complicated. Coaches don't let HS QB's throw the ball like that.

Things like holding the ball properly, climbing the pocket, finding a good platform, etc For an NFL QB this stuff should be basic level stuff.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yes it does.

His mechanics suck. If he was truly "trying" they'd be fixed by now

That is not true. I have taken dozens of lessons to try and get the right golf swing. My mechanics are still not right.

You can not force the right mechanics in any sport. You think Shaq didn't try and get the right mechanics to shoot a free throw?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First timer do you hate Stafford's side arm throw?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Rodgers still has a huge tendency of holding on to the ball too long and really low while he looks for an amazing play.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Do you not "try" when you are practicing? Do you not try when you are trying to improve? Reading defenses at an elite level has EVERYTHING to do with trying because in order to be good you have to STUDY YOUR FUCKING ASS OFF. Ever heard of Peyton Manning? All the great QBs are gym and classroom rats.

:gtfo:

And no one ever said that Cutler did not study his playbook. No one. Not one person.

Reading defenses has everything to do with instinct. Either you have it or you don't.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is not true. I have taken dozens of lessons to try and get the right golf swing. My mechanics are still not right.

Oh sweet anecdotal evidence.

I took lessons to get the right golf swing and mine DID work.

Did you have unlimited time to dedicate to this new swing? Like, was golf your job?

Tim Tebow has been able to change his motion twice now.

Aaron Rodgers changed his. Multiple QB's across the NFL every season make adjustments. Cutler's mechanics are shit.

He isn't working at them. If he was, they'd be fixed.

And FWIW, no. I don't think Shaq really made a real effort.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
First timer do you hate Stafford's side arm throw?

Yes.

Will it work sometimes? Sure.

Sometimes though having that in the arsenal makes you use it when it's not needed or prudent. Stafford has some funky shit going on up top with his arm slots but he does have very good feet and generally has a good platform.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
The usual crowd expecting a 10 year veteran to suddenly change into a better player.

Never gets old. Accept he is who he is and move on and you might lower your blood pressure.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get all the Cutler hate. He hasn't lived up to expectations but how can you hate a player that gives it his all. Brutalized with sacks over the Lovie years and a bad coach with Trestman, and you don't hear him complain to the media, even after being called out by Kromer. He may have bad body language, but he doesn't take cheap shots at the team or other players.

If you want to blame somebody, blame Angelo for trading for him and Emery for giving him a huge contract.

Funny thing.. if we would have drafted Cutler in the 3rd round, his story may have been written very differently. Nobody here hates Kyle Orton, we appreciate what he did but he wasn't the guy. It is kind of similar with Grossman. But with Cutler, we traded for what we thought was a pro bowl quarterback and it didn't work out for us. Denver knew he played above his head and got a great deal him. But we should hate the geniuses who traded for him and re-signed him, and the coaches that supported that.. not the player himself.

The franchise put huge expectations on him and they are the ones to blame for him not living up to those expectations.
I hate Orton.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Oh sweet anecdotal evidence.

I took lessons to get the right golf swing and mine DID work.

Did you have unlimited time to dedicate to this new swing? Like, was golf your job?

Tim Tebow has been able to change his motion twice now.

Aaron Rodgers changed his. Multiple QB's across the NFL every season make adjustments. Cutler's mechanics are shit.

He isn't working at them. If he was, they'd be fixed.

And FWIW, no. I don't think Shaq really made a real effort.

And you think every coach that has coached Jay Cutler didn't give a shit either to try and help him change his mechanics. If they could have forced him to change, they would have.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they could have forced him to change, they would have.

Exactly, the coaches can't force him to change. Cutler has to actually WANT to make the change and work at it.

He doesn't.

So as a result there is no change.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Exactly, the coaches can't force him to change. Cutler has to actually WANT to make the change and work at it.

He doesn't.

So as a result there is no change.

It is not about wanting to get better. It is about having the ability to get better.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:

You can not force the right mechanics in any sport. You think Shaq didn't try and get the right mechanics to shoot a free throw?

Not really, no. He certainly didn't give free throw shooting the priority he gave other parts of his game. His stated philosophy was that "I'd hit them when I needed to", like towards the end of games or in the playoffs. That's an inherently lazy approach.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Not really, no. He certainly didn't give free throw shooting the priority he gave other parts of his game. His stated philosophy was that "I'd hit them when I needed too", like towards the end of games or in the playoffs. That's an inherently lazy approach.

Free throw shooting is all feel. It is mental. They said DeAndre Jordan would make his free throws in practice. In the game, not so much. With Shaq, he never felt comfortable with the proper form. It was actually worse and he couldn't judge how far to throw the ball as strange as it sounds.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really, no. He certainly didn't give free throw shooting the priority he gave other parts of his game. His stated philosophy was that "I'd hit them when I needed too", like towards the end of games or in the playoffs. That's an inherently lazy approach.

Shaq was a bad example imo. Maybe he has tries to change his mechanics and it made him worse? Some people just perform better with unorthodox styles. You think batting coaches weren't telling Jeff Bagwell to stand up straight when he bats?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Shaq was a bad example imo. Maybe he has tries to change his mechanics and it made him worse? Some people just perform better with unorthodox styles. You think batting coaches weren't telling Jeff Bagwell to stand up straight when he bats?

And I can guarantee that is how it is with Cutler. It is mental. It is a feel. He would probably play worse if he FORCED the right mechanics.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Cutler does work on his mechanics but when shit goes wrong like he is being hit to death he reverts back into old habits. During the 2010 season after the giants game Cutler stopped doing a regular five step drop and literally started back peddling. Just one example

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Cutler does work on his mechanics but when shit goes wrong like he is being hit to death he reverts back into old habits. During the 2010 season after the giants game Cutler stopped doing a regular five step drop and literally started back peddling. Just one example

Then please explain why his mechanics in the above picture are shit and that is from training camp last year when he's not even wearing pads?