Jay Cutler is not a monster

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Then please explain why his mechanics in the above picture are shit and that is from training camp last year when he's not even wearing pads?

Well I guess one whole picture deflates my argument :rolleyes:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I guess one whole picture deflates my argument :rolleyes:

I can find more from old threads and from training camps. Just sayin'. This shit doesn't just start happening in games. Guys like Dan Durkin point it out constantly during off-season stuff. It's an issue every single day.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jaw's has him at 21, OP has him at 20. Sounds about right. Sadly this team is filled with guys that are average to below average.

I am all for upgrading any below average position. But nobody says "cut the D-line and draft one". That particular brand of crazy is reserved for Cutler.

I know, it's much easier to upgrade one position, that's why there are 12 NFL starting QB's that are worse than Jay. If it was so fucking easy there would be 32 Rogers.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Free throw shooting is all feel. It is mental. They said DeAndre Jordan would make his free throws in practice. In the game, not so much. With Shaq, he never felt comfortable with the proper form. It was actually worse and he couldn't judge how far to throw the ball as strange as it sounds.

They can say whatever they want, but do you think DeAndre was making his freethrows at even a 55-60% clip in practice? I don't. Some people are naturally better at it than others of course, but if you don't take it seriously you'll never improve. There is nothing physically preventing Cutler from showing better mechanics, he has in the past with Martz for instance, hell he's put out instructional videos for kids.

But it's obvious that he's given up trying to improve there, much like Shaq and his free throws. Unlike Shaq though, he doesn't have much else going for him. Every year some younger QB comes out who can throw it through a wall too, but can actually do other things.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Then please explain why his mechanics in the above picture are shit and that is from training camp last year when he's not even wearing pads?

Because he's been throwing the ball like that since he was playing baseball at age 7-10 and by the time he got the NFL that shit ain't changing. Maybe if somebody at Vandy had been able to get to him when he was still relatively young in his football career they could have had some success. But he was 1st team all-freshman in the SEC and by the time he left Vandy he was the SEC OPOY. He obviously wasn't a top prospect and needed a lot of work as he was the 3rd QB taken in that draft but he had some success on a more balanced offense in Denver and they sold high on him.

Jay could obviously clean up his mechanics but at this point in his career it was way too long over due and it's not happening. Philip Rivers gets by with goofy mechanics but he's just a better decision maker and takes better care of the ball. Jay's mistakes are mostly mental and his decision making. He's always made terrible decisions about where to go with the ball.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You know FirstTimer, no one can be sure one way or the other. All I can tell you is there are a lot of cases where people try and get better but can't at the professional level and that included working on their mechanics to no avail. It could be laziness but I doubt it for several reasons.

First, rarely do players with lazy attitudes get to the professional level. And when they do, they bomb out. See Ryan Leaf who truly didn't study game film or work on his mechanics. He called in sick and played golf. The true colors showed instantly.

Second, Cutler has been reported to do the right things at practice. The first guy in, last guy out type of player. He worked out privately with the receivers how many times to try and get them better, get himself better.

Third, he never once threw anyone under the bus. Guys that are lazy are in denial. They blame others. Cutler doesn't do that.

You can not sit here and tell me you think he doesn't try and try and make it into an educated discussion.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
It's pointless to even discuss.

I wish it was his attitude. That you can change. You can't change not being good enough.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because he's been throwing the ball like that since he was playing baseball at age 7-10 and by the time he got the NFL that shit ain't changing. Maybe if somebody at Vandy had been able to get to him when he was still relatively young in his football career they could have had some success. But he was 1st team all-freshman in the SEC and by the time he left Vandy he was the SEC OPOY. He obviously wasn't a top prospect and needed a lot of work as he was the 3rd QB taken in that draft but he had some success on a more balanced offense in Denver and they sold high on him.

Holy shit. Talk about history being revised. The guy was practically a Top 10 pick.

Since when is that NOT a top prospect?!

Jay could obviously clean up his mechanics
Ok, and he chooses not to. So he's not "giving his all."

Thanks for making the point for me.

Philip Rivers gets by with goofy mechanics but he's just a better decision maker and takes better care of the ball.
The only thing really "goofy" about Rivers is his arm slot on release. But he's at least consistent with it. Other than that he's very mechanically sound.

Jay's mistakes are mostly mental and his decision making

Somewhat disagree.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
They can say whatever they want, but do you think DeAndre was making his freethrows at even a 55-60% clip in practice? I don't. Some people are naturally better at it than others of course, but if you don't take it seriously you'll never improve. There is nothing physically preventing Cutler from showing better mechanics, he has in the past with Martz for instance, hell he's put out instructional videos for kids.

But it's obvious that he's given up trying to improve there, much like Shaq and his free throws. Unlike Shaq though, he doesn't have much else going for him. Every year some younger QB comes out who can throw it through a wall too, but can actually do other things.

Cutler didn't have better mechanics under Martz. That was when they just happened to report it the most that he was working on his mechanics.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know FirstTimer, no one can be sure one way or the other.
I can be, and am.

Cutler could fix his mechanics.

He chooses not to.

He doesn't give his all.

First, rarely do players with lazy attitudes get to the professional level. And when they do, they bomb out. See Ryan Leaf who truly didn't study game film or work on his mechanics. He called in sick and played golf. The true colors showed instantly.
Yet Leaf still spent five seasons in the NFL.

Second, Cutler has been reported to do the right things at practice.
Obviously that's not true. I'm showing you pictures of him from practice.

I can show you more.

Does that look "right" to you?

Guys like Dan Durkin point this stuff out.

The first guy in, last guy out type of player.
He's spending the time on the wrong things then.

He worked out privately with the receivers how many times to try and get them better, get himself better.

Obviously hasn't worked..........I wonder why...........

You can not sit here and tell me you think he doesn't try.

I can and will continue to do so.

Cutler doesn't give it his all.

If he did he wouldn't be making mistakes that HS QB's are coached not to make.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
1284543188_machine-gun-intimidation.gif

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I can be, and am.

Cutler could fix his mechanics.

He chooses not to.

He doesn't give his all.

Yet Leaf still spent five seasons in the NFL.

Obviously that's not true. I'm showing you pictures of him from practice.

I can show you more.

Does that look "right" to you?

Guys like Dan Durkin point this stuff out.

He's spending the time on the wrong things then.

Obviously hasn't worked..........I wonder why...........

I can and will continue to do so.

Cutler doesn't give it his all.

If he did he wouldn't be making mistakes that HS QB's are coached not to make.

And none of what you said shows that he isn't trying his best to win games.

Again, I said it in the beginning. I could spend 5 paragraphs on this but if you don't understand it in the beginning, it is useless.

Getting better at mechanics has nothing to do with squeezing every bit of willpower out of you to get better. It just doesn't.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And none of what you said shows that he isn't trying his best to win games.
He'd be better and so would the Bears if he wasn't a mechanical wreck. By not improving his mechanics and not trying to do so he's not doing his best to win.

Getting better at mechanics has nothing to do with squeezing every bit of willpower out of you to get better. It just doesn't.
It absolutely does.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Jay's not going to change his mechanics so what are we discussing? You think he's lazy and doesn't want to change? I think the guy is only capable of making these throws doing the way he's been doing it since his Vandy days. He's not changing going into year 10. Like I said if somebody had gotten to him earlier at Vandy or even in Chicago they might have had more success. But even with his ugly mechanics you can get ~3500yds, ~20tds from him which is about average. What isn't average is his INTs which are usually nicely thrown balls but just to the wrong team or into bad coverage. That's decision making.

And yes I wouldn't consider the 3rd QB in his class to be a top prospect.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Actually for a brief time he did.

Cutler actually changed the way he dropped back to pass for brief periods under Martz. You can see it in some preseason games.

He eventually gave it up.

No. That was you being a fan and believing the hype. And don't even try and bring up some lazy photo of him throwing correctly or not off his back foot. He does that sometimes now. It is circumstantial.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't get all the Cutler hate. He hasn't lived up to expectations but how can you hate a player that gives it his all. Brutalized with sacks over the Lovie years and a bad coach with Trestman, and you don't hear him complain to the media, even after being called out by Kromer. He may have bad body language, but he doesn't take cheap shots at the team or other players.

If you want to blame somebody, blame Angelo for trading for him and Emery for giving him a huge contract.

Funny thing.. if we would have drafted Cutler in the 3rd round, his story may have been written very differently. Nobody here hates Kyle Orton, we appreciate what he did but he wasn't the guy. It is kind of similar with Grossman. But with Cutler, we traded for what we thought was a pro bowl quarterback and it didn't work out for us. Denver knew he played above his head and got a great deal him. But we should hate the geniuses who traded for him and re-signed him, and the coaches that supported that.. not the player himself.

The franchise put huge expectations on him and they are the ones to blame for him not living up to those expectations.

Please with this NONSENSE....

Lovie gave him an elite D and special teams, and to date, his ONLY playoff appearance or win in now 10 years.

One day with you Cutler defenders are going to have stop making excuses for him....

BEARS