Wine

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Here's some of my personal favorites. In the end, the best wine is the wine you like.

Zinfandel:
Murphy Goode- Liar's Dice and/or Snake Eyes
7 Deadly Zins
Layer Cake Primitivo

Chardonnay:
Valley of the Moon
Ghost Pines
Toasted Head
Murphy Goode
Chateau Ste. Michelle

Cabernet:
Ghost Pines
Duckhorn
Dutcher Crossing

Petite Syrah:
McManis

California Reds and/or Red Blends:
Chariot
Sterling - Meritage Red Blend

Shiraz:
Nugan Vision

South America:
Hard to find a really bad red. Too many good ones to hand pick. Chilean or Argentinian are good starts. Try to stay away from sub-$5 bottles

South African:
Haven't tried a lot, but did enjoy Goats Do Roam

Good ones on the cheap (<$10):
BV
Casilllero Del Diablo
Sterling
Blackstone

Most underrated region: California
Most overrated region: France

First timers, stay away from things like:
Barefoot
Yellowtail
Menage Trois
14 Hands
Anything in a 1.5 Liter bottle or jug
Boxed
Boone's Farm (seriously, just say no if someone offers it. They are pranking you.)
garment-design-image-view-392954f679cfb0f915be9ffbe9a3b1f8.png

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've been buying/selling/collecting/trading both wine bottles and futures for over 20 years, I know a fair amount about da vino.

First, all cheap wine is generally nasty and I would not draw too many conclusions for any type of wine if it's on the low-end of price. Kind of like going to Arby's and then concluding you don't like roast beef.

Most people have evolving taste over years with wine, with the majority of beginners preferring the sweeter and big-fruit bombs. I started that way as well, but now in terms of white wine only drink the dry, old-world varietals. Try a crisp Sancerre, not the cheap stuff - you can get a good quality Sancerre for $25/bottle. The fruit/sweet white wines don't pair well with food, and the extra sugars are the demon-spawn of hangovers.

My favorites after a long tasting evolution:
1. Burgundy/Pinot Noir
2. Bordeaux
3. Brunello
4. Super Tuscans
5. Syrah (Rhone varietals)

I only drink the traditional big-reds (e.g., Cabs) with meat and/or pasta, I find them too heavy for straight sipping.

You rich ass motherfucker. Again and again u make me feel like such a pleb until I take a step back and remember it's the invisible hand.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Until I can eat my go-to wine with a fork, I'm out of this silly discussion.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I enjoy a glass of moscato from time too time or maybe even some lambrusco

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
You rich ass motherfucker. Again and again u make me feel like such a pleb until I take a step back and remember it's the invisible hand.

LOL, I do feel rich, in terms of family/friends/health. As for money, "rich" is a matter of perspective. I am doing well compared to the friends i grew up with in da North Shore, but i am truly - from a relative perspective - financially poor compared to many people in my current community and social circle. So I don't feel $$$-rich, not at all.

The point being, financially rich is elusive to define. A friend of mine from Northbrook is a state cop, he told me if/when he gets $400,000 in net liquid assets he will retire and feel "rich". Everyone has their number and their definition.

Mr. McPrawn, in your humble estimation, what is the minimum net worth for qualifying as financially rich?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's some of my personal favorites. In the end, the best wine is the wine you like.

Zinfandel:
Murphy Goode- Liar's Dice and/or Snake Eyes
7 Deadly Zins
Layer Cake Primitivo

Chardonnay:
Valley of the Moon
Ghost Pines
Toasted Head
Murphy Goode
Chateau Ste. Michelle

Cabernet:
Ghost Pines
Duckhorn
Dutcher Crossing

Petite Syrah:
McManis

California Reds and/or Red Blends:
Chariot
Sterling - Meritage Red Blend

Shiraz:
Nugan Vision

South America:
Hard to find a really bad red. Too many good ones to hand pick. Chilean or Argentinian are good starts. Try to stay away from sub-$5 bottles

South African:
Haven't tried a lot, but did enjoy Goats Do Roam

Good ones on the cheap (<$10):
BV
Casilllero Del Diablo
Sterling
Blackstone

Most underrated region: California
Most overrated region: France

First timers, stay away from things like:
Barefoot
Yellowtail
Menage Trois
14 Hands
Anything in a 1.5 Liter bottle or jug
Boxed
Boone's Farm (seriously, just say no if someone offers it. They are pranking you.)
garment-design-image-view-392954f679cfb0f915be9ffbe9a3b1f8.png

Duckhorn for Cab? Interesting. After all these years, I've never had one. They're just so well known for their merlot. I will try. Thanks.

I enjoy a glass of moscato from time too time or maybe even some lambrusco

You would like Luccio. Good ass moscato at a good ass price. http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/lucio+docg+muscat+d+asti+piemonte+italy

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reactions: DC

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
It's Italian and since you like Lambrusco you may like it. Terrior and shit.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's Italian and since you like Lambrusco you may like it. Terrior and shit.

Oddly enough -- also something I never knew before I lived there -- there are a fuck ton of vineyards in the Buffalo region, most of which grow some version of a Lambrusco or Concord. Apparently that's where they grow all the Concords for Welches (protestant grape juice and jelly) and there is a "wine trail" up Rt. 5 that follows lake Erie. All the local vintners there were fucking terrible though; basically one note sweet horseshit (might as well be chugging Boone's Farm). Not that I'm a Lambrusco fan in general, but every one out there I tried was awful (just in case you ever decide to try some "upstate NY wine," stop and take stock of your life choices).

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Cheers! Thanks for that info. Did you know that wine is officially being made in all 48 states? And that America is the #1 consuming country in the world?

I love the stuff. Going to open up a La Crema Pinot Noir from Willamette this weekend to celebrate!

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oddly enough -- also something I never knew before I lived there -- there are a fuck ton of vineyards in the Buffalo region, most of which grow some version of a Lambrusco or Concord. Apparently that's where they grow all the Concords for Welches (protestant grape juice and jelly) and there is a "wine trail" up Rt. 5 that follows lake Erie. All the local vintners there were fucking terrible though; basically one note sweet horseshit (might as well be chugging Boone's Farm). Not that I'm a Lambrusco fan in general, but every one out there I tried was awful (just in case you ever decide to try some "upstate NY wine," stop and take stock of your life choices).

Lol, the wineries across the way in Niagara are really only capable of a decent ice wine, if that's your thing.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Anyone get into Ports? I've tried, but have yet to find one I like.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I've been buying/selling/collecting/trading both wine bottles and futures for over 20 years, I know a fair amount about da vino.

First, all cheap wine is generally nasty and I would not draw too many conclusions for any type of wine if it's on the low-end of price. Kind of like going to Arby's and then concluding you don't like roast beef.

Most people have evolving taste over years with wine, with the majority of beginners preferring the sweeter and big-fruit bombs. I started that way as well, but now in terms of white wine only drink the dry, old-world varietals. Try a crisp Sancerre, not the cheap stuff - you can get a good quality Sancerre for $25/bottle. The fruit/sweet white wines don't pair well with food, and the extra sugars are the demon-spawn of hangovers.

My favorites after a long tasting evolution:
1. Burgundy/Pinot Noir
2. Bordeaux
3. Brunello
4. Super Tuscans
5. Syrah (Rhone varietals)

I only drink the traditional big-reds (e.g., Cabs) with meat and/or pasta, I find them too heavy for straight sipping.

You're from Silicon Valley, so I'm assuming you've been to the Napa wineries plenty of times. Which ones are the best in your opinion? I took the family there for the first time last year. We visited Castello di Amorosa (beautiful property, but feels touristy) and Chateau Montelena (we did a family photo shoot here... another beautiful property). I don't know shit about wines, though. Next time we go, we're gonna ditch the kids so we can do Napa properly. We also did the Napa Valley Wine Train, which the kids loved.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
You're from Silicon Valley, so I'm assuming you've been to the Napa wineries plenty of times. Which ones are the best in your opinion? I took the family there for the first time last year. We visited Castela di Amorosa (beautiful property, but feels touristy) and Chateau Montelena (we did a family photo shoot here... another beautiful property). I don't know shit about wines, though. Next time we go, we're gonna ditch the kids so we can do Napa properly. We also did the Napa Valley Wine Train, which the kids loved.

I know you didn't ask me, but having been to Napa several times both on trade/VIP tours and as a tourist I need to tell you:

Ravenswood, Simi and Franciscan.

Super cool that you went to Montelena. I'm assuming you know about the 1976 Taste of Paris? If not, check out the movie "Bottle Shock"

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I know you didn't ask me, but having been to Napa several times both on trade/VIP tours and as a tourist I need to tell you:

Ravenswood, Simi and Franciscan.

Super cool that you went to Montelena. I'm assuming you know about the 1976 Taste of Paris? If not, check out the movie "Bottle Shock"

Yes, they told the interesting story of the Taste of Paris. And thanks for those suggestions, I'll put it on my list. Have you been to the Castello di Amorosa? It's an amazing place, but the downside is there's tons of people there. We did a photo shoot there also, but somehow avoided the crowds. Check out this pic... every single piece stone from the castle was imported from Italy.

Screen-shot-2013-09-11-at-7.17.15-PM-902x360.png

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn. Bad-ass.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
You're from Silicon Valley, so I'm assuming you've been to the Napa wineries plenty of times. Which ones are the best in your opinion? I took the family there for the first time last year. We visited Castello di Amorosa (beautiful property, but feels touristy) and Chateau Montelena (we did a family photo shoot here... another beautiful property). I don't know shit about wines, though. Next time we go, we're gonna ditch the kids so we can do Napa properly. We also did the Napa Valley Wine Train, which the kids loved.

The Japanese motif at Montelena is remarkable, yes, I've got family pics there as well. I have visited many a winery throughout Napa, Sonoma, and the Central Coast (primarily Paso Robles region). I really don't do much of that anymore unless I have family or friends visiting - been there, done it.

In terms of favorite wineries, I look for quality wines coupled with quality pours, and there's a handful that do a great job with their tasting rooms. They are all "by appointment only", i.e., none of the tasting rooms that are open for walk-ins, and these are not necessarily the grand wineries with castles/views. Off the top of my head, my favorites are David Arthur, Viader, Plumpjack, Cakebread, Shafer. That's not where I would take Napa visitors necessarily, but they are more on the "insiders'" circuit.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
2012 Franciscan Stylus.

:bearbang:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Not a big wine drinker but going to San Francisco on business and going to do a Napa Wine Tour. Have no idea what to expect but thought I would share. For a novice wine drinker, what can I expect?