Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wilson's not stupid and this is just a rumor. Still time for negotiations, stupid emos.
Seems you are the one getting emo about your boi RW.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Wilson made that team a SB contender. But if the rumor is true, he should probably take the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How so? He certainly was an upgrade from Charlie Whitehurst and Tavaris Jackson, but the D just so happened to go from shit show to best of the best every single year coinciding with his arrival, how is this so easily ignored?

Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, make average team contenders, #1defenses combined with top 5 running games make slightly better than average QB's seem elite.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
How so? He certainly was an upgrade from Charlie Whitehurst and Tavaris Jackson, but the D just so happened to go from shit show to best of the best every single year coinciding with his arrival, how is this so easily ignored?

Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, make average team contenders, #1defenses and top 5 running games make slightly better than average QB's seem elite.

I'm still not sold that D would be ranked #1 w/out Wilson.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, make average team contenders, #1defenses combined with top 5 running games make slightly better than average QB's seem elite.

How so? The year before Wilson, the Seahawks were 7-9 with nearly the same exact team. They still had a great D and Lynch. Add Wilson to the equation, and they win 11 games, then win the Super Bowl a year later.

Without Wilson, the Seahawks may have missed the playoffs 2 out of the last three years thanks to that tough division.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was asked to do a bit more this year and his performance went down. This offer is exactly what I thought it should be. They may move a small amount and put him into a top few type deal but no way he deserves to be the top paid QB. He will get PAID as the salaries are going up with every cycle and I think some are looking at yesterday's values but no way should he get more than low 20s. The guy can make chicken salad out of chicken shit at times but he can do what he did in the SB when asked to play it straight up as well. Other QBs can break a knee, come back and still be effective from the pocket. He's a good pocket passer but not great. If he loses any mobility, he's just good. Little guys need to move just see what's going on.

With that in mind, think about this. Wilson is slated to make 1.5 mil this year. There is no denying his next contract will get him generational money, at least something like Cam Newton money. From a business perspective, why on earth would Wilson play this year for 1.5 mil, risk career ending injury, when even if he did not play this year, it would not significantly lower his projected income in the years ahead?

Seattle is a team built to win now, can they afford to play this game with Wilson? It is in Seattle's best interest to sign him now as well, and to spread some of the cap hit over this year (projected 10 mil cap space left this year). It only gets worse looking down the road for Seattle in regards to cap space. This is about as opposite as the AP situation as you will find. With those things in mind, Wilson most certainly does have leverage. Even if Seattle went the Exclusive franchise tag route after the holdout, reports now have that figure to be close to 25 mil for 2016, and the moment that make that designation, it is fully guaranteed.

As you can see, as long as Wilson is content on remaining a Seahawk, he holds significant leverage.

Mitchapalooza

Seahawks will be in cap hell and will end up losing pieces to their team. Wilson is taking way too much credit for the seahawks success
And on this day, hell froze over. Mick and PIB have the same views on a QB.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm still not sold that D would be ranked #1 w/out Wilson.

I agree, if you are leaving TJax under center, but Ryan, Romo, Rothlessboner, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, Newton, Luck all easily play at his level. Any improvement in the D, if you want to attribute some, due to QB change wasn't so much because Wilson was the starter, but because one of a plethora of QB's better than T Jax was.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I agree, if you are leaving TJax under center, but Ryan, Romo, Rothlessboner, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, Newton, Luck all easily play at his level. Any improvement in the D, if you want to attribute some, due to QB change wasn't so much because Wilson was the starter, but because one of a plethora of QB's better than T Jax was.

None of the above QBs are available, except Tjack. So basically the only option is to pay up or take a step back. Basically back to 2011...a top 10 D and a decent running game

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
How so? The year before Wilson, the Seahawks were 7-9 with nearly the same exact team. They still had a great D and Lynch. Add Wilson to the equation, and they win 11 games, then win the Super Bowl a year later.

Without Wilson, the Seahawks may have missed the playoffs 2 out of the last three years thanks to that tough division.

Seattle's defense was ranked 27th in 2010. 9th in 2011, 4th in 2012, 1st the past 2 years. It's obvious that when they became elite in the secondary, the overall defense became elite. It had little to do with Wilson.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seattle's defense was ranked 27th in 2010. 9th in 2011, 4th in 2012, 1st the past 2 years. It's obvious that when they became elite in the secondary, the overall defense became elite. It had little to do with Wilson.

Little to do with Wilson? Yes, Seattle's defense did improve and still would be solid without Wilson. However, with Wilson, the Seahawks held onto the ball longer on offense. Having the ball longer means the other offense doesn't have the ball as long meaning they get less yards/points meaning your defense looks better.

In 2011, the Seahawks were ranked 28th in Time of possession. The next year when they got Wilson, they shot up to 5th. That undoubtedly helped the defense.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Little to do with Wilson? Yes, Seattle's defense did improve and still would be solid without Wilson. However, with Wilson, the Seahawks held onto the ball longer on offense. Having the ball longer means the other offense doesn't have the ball as long meaning they get less yards/points meaning your defense looks better.

In 2011, the Seahawks were ranked 28th in Time of possession. The next year when they got Wilson, they shot up to 5th. That undoubtedly helped the defense.

They also ran the ball a lot more.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They also ran the ball a lot more.

Wilson was a big part of that too, since he ran it 96 times for nearly 500 yards. Lynch himself didn't run it that much more. In 2011, he ran it 19 times a game. In 2012, it went up to 19.6.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With that in mind, think about this. Wilson is slated to make 1.5 mil this year. There is no denying his next contract will get him generational money, at least something like Cam Newton money. From a business perspective, why on earth would Wilson play this year for 1.5 mil, risk career ending injury, when even if he did not play this year, it would not significantly lower his projected income in the years ahead?

Seattle is a team built to win now, can they afford to play this game with Wilson? It is in Seattle's best interest to sign him now as well, and to spread some of the cap hit over this year (projected 10 mil cap space left this year). It only gets worse looking down the road for Seattle in regards to cap space. This is about as opposite as the AP situation as you will find. With those things in mind, Wilson most certainly does have leverage. Even if Seattle went the Exclusive franchise tag route after the holdout, reports now have that figure to be close to 25 mil for 2016, and the moment that make that designation, it is fully guaranteed.

As you can see, as long as Wilson is content on remaining a Seahawk, he holds significant leverage.

Not a question for me. I think he should take the money and run to the bank. I think they settle at 22 or 23. Leverage is relative to how your team evaluates your importance. In the last post you said he's an idiot for not signing and now you're claiming he gains leverage by not doing so. As far as cap space is concerned, that's fluid. They can accelerate other bonuses to restructure that space as needed. James Carpenter and Kevin Williams are also going to need extensions so it's not just Wilson in vacuum either.

Aso

Liked Posts:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal the Seahawks have offered Russell Wilson would pay him under $20 million up front.

The deal would be worth $21 million annually, but the up-front money is a sticking point. Cam Newton, for instance, received $30 million up front on his six-year, $118.47 million pact. Still, it's now clear the Seahawks are making progress in contract talks with Wilson. Per RapSheet, "negotiations are ongoing, Wilson hasn't turned anything down outright, and nothing has been taken off the table."

Via Rotoworld

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

I see what your saying about the QB's that you mentioned, but a few posters in this thread claim the D and Lynch are what made the Seahawks go to 2 SB's and win 1. Wilson is just as important. The guy has a great QB rating and rarely fucks up. People like to bring up the GB playoff game. And while that was bad, it was one pretty bad one in 3 years. That is a rarity for him to play like that. And I'll pretty much gurantee you the Seahawks don't even make the SB with Flynn or Jackson. He's a very important piece to that team.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
None of the above QBs are available, except Tjack. So basically the only option is to pay up or take a step back. Basically back to 2011...a top 10 D and a decent running game
Are you suggesting Wilson makes the defense somewhere up to 9 spots better? I don't know how to respond to that.
And overpaying a QB because there are no equivalent or better available, is sort of a Bears/Cutler thing.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Are you suggesting Wilson makes the defense somewhere up to 9 spots better?
Yes...his style of play helps out the D significantly
And overpaying a QB because there are no equivalent or better available, is sort of a Bears/Cutler thing.

At face value you might be able to say that...but Wilson is light years ahead of Cutler.