Win 10 - Whats your plan?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't really ever uninstall games anymore. Just move em to a hdd

Dont have to lose all those mods and addons anymore!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its all so crazy. Data is such a wide up, unregulated commodity right now.

I feel like there is no real end in sight without some type of holistic legislative solution.

Really, what we need in the US is a constitutional amendment(s) reflecting the new reality of digital life.

The internet is no longer a toy or a diversion. Its not really anonymous anymore. It is a place where people invest a significant portion of their life. The separation between irl and digital life is fading. Young people don't really make the distinction at all.

Its really time that we begin to recognize that we inhabit digital space and we need to decide what our rights are in that space.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I heard they're giving it as a free upgrade until the end of the year or some shit. That's what my pops was saying anyway. I haven't confirmed. He was talking about backing up his Windows 7, then getting the 10 and seeing if he likes it or not.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If you're running Windows 7 there's really no reason to switch to 10 until games come out that actually utilize DX12, which won't be for quite a while. Windows 7 is a fantastic OS and I don't plan on switching until at least SP1 is out for Windows 10 and most of the bugs/security holes are fixed.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
SSDs have a limit of how many writes can be made to the memory. So ideally you don't want to use an SSD in a scenario in which you're constantly overwriting data or transferring large files on a consistent basis. That is why sometimes people will use a smallish SSD like a 128GB drive for their operating system then keep a secondary drive as their storage drive, be it mechanical or another SSD. Me, I give no fucks. I am just going to buy a new 512GB or 1TB SSD which is going to house my OS and games. I made the mistake of getting a piddly 256GB SSD which is frankly a pain in the ass for me since I am constantly having to uninstall and reinstall games. So by doubling or quadrupling the size I shouldn't have that issue anymore. I also keep a 1TB mechanical drive which is almost at capacity. Bitch has like 100GB left if that.

This used to be the case, but SSDs today are much more efficient and max life isn't really a concern unless you're going to be doing some bonkers amount of writing to your drive every day. A quality SSD with good software (like Samsungs) will last 10-20 years before it craps the bed, which is far longer than any user needs. For the most part it's a non-issue.

supraman

Liked Posts:
For Win 10 I'm going to switch immediately. I love 7 I've dicked around in 10 briefly but reverted back quickly due to lack of vid drivers initially. Mainly I want to get away from Chrome and I hate firefox so spartan might be an option.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, we need legislation defining our rights in the digital space. Its a conversation america needs to have already.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, I wanna put win 10 on my laptop so bad just to check it out and start tinkering. But I use the shit for work and can't afford to be an early adopter and risk having downtime... :(

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you ever seen Steam Mover? Its fucking amazing.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Pro tip for doing a clean install of win 10:

Use this tool to move all your steam games off your OS drive. Do your clean install. Then use the tool again to move your steam games wherever you want them to stay.

Re-install steam and launch it. You will have to tell it to download those games again. However, as long as you direct the install location to wherever you put your game files, steam will detect them and you will not have to re-download. Steam will just rebuild all the registry entries and drive links or whatever. And you will be able to play your games without downloading the whole thing over again.

Have not confirmed that this will preserve mods, but I don't see why not.

Oh, also use GameSave Manager to backup your saves on all games.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My home connection is Special person fast. Somewhere in the order of 16MB per second downstream. Doesn't really take long to download games but that tool is nice when you have a large library.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, I didn't think steam servers were that fast

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah Steam is a solid game network. I always get fast downloads. I wouldn't be surprised if it would download even faster if I had a higher tier connection.

I am just waiting on my SSD and the drive tray to arrive so I can fuck around with Windows 10 gaming.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, got the urge to tinker. Downloading win 10 now. Crossing my fingers.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did the upgrade then followed up with a clean install off a flash drive. So far I very much like the aesthetics at least. I was ready for a change from 7. we will see though

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Update:

When I did the simple upgrade to win 10, shit was weird. Was having weird stuff with old programs and also with my dual screen setup. I didnt mess with drivers or anything, just went ahead and did a clean install off a flash drive. But anyway, for me, the upgrade seemed wonky and looked like I was gon have to go through a bunch of settings and shit to get it to behave right. imo, its not worth it. Even when just performing the install, shit got wonky. Screen brightness was doing a kind of slow strobe, which maybe is intentional, but it was all laggy... and the fonts looked real low resolution. Probably just driver stuff, but still. Seems like more effort than its worth to get an upgrade to work.

Clean install though was flawless for me. So far, I have had no hiccups. As of right now, I am glad I switched from 7. Boot and shutdown is faster and file transfers from disc to disc and through usb are way faster. I like the clean aesthetic and actually like the new start menu better. Also really liking the virtual desktops. So far my only gripes are that when the search function access a browser, it always uses bing. Cant wait for someone to fix that. Havent tried Cortana. Also, there is less window border color customization than in 8 or 8.1. Oh, I do like how windows can snap to edges or corners faster/easier now.