Our 2nd string defense hasn't allowed a point in 3 games

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
We are loaded on D with players that have backup roles that were starters in the past. If you are looking for any kind of positive sign, this is it.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just like the injuries none of it will mean anything aftrr preseason

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Says the guy that has 18,000 posts.

gifsoup-1488427-o.gif

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
#startem

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Second String D

Did our back-up defense really blank every opponent? Maybe we should cut the starters

Newblood

Liked Posts:
The question is, have these backups already reached their potential or do they still have plenty of room to improve. Unfortunately, I think for a majority of them, they have pretty much hit their potential. So, good backups will be about as high as they go.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One way i look at it is a lot of these back ups are players fit for the system and the starters (McClellin, Allen, Ego, Bostic) do not but are more talented overall. Once Fox and Vic get these starters replaced with quality players in a year or two, this should be a really good D.

Also means we won't see a significant drop off when players go down during the season (minus McPhee).

I said to my buddy tonight that for the first time in maybe 20 years, Im thinking these preseason games may end up being more enjoyable than the regular season games. First time i can remember I actually watched an entire fourth preseason game from beginning to end.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
One way i look at it is a lot of these back ups are players fit for the system and the starters (McClellin, Allen, Ego, Bostic) do not but are more talented overall. Once Fox and Vic get these starters replaced with quality players in a year or two, this should be a really good D.

Also means we won't see a significant drop off when players go down during the season (minus McPhee).

I said to my buddy tonight that for the first time in maybe 20 years, Im thinking these preseason games may end up being more enjoyable than the regular season games. First time i can remember I actually watched an entire fourth preseason game from beginning to end.

There is probably a few of these backups that could succeed if they were surrounded by quality talent. But by the time the Bears get that talent, this bunch will probably be on another team.

Oh well, still better than seeing our backups get rolled by other teams backups. So that's reason to be optimistic.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Interesting and great point. I do think Vic will put the starters in the best position to be successful as well. Vic's main strength is game planning and we haven't seen any of that yet. But I do find your point about the b/u's fitting Vic's defense moving forward is a great point, and not surprising for a good coach.