OT- Ryan Tannehill tells teammates "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck"

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
http://news.yahoo.com/dolphins-ryan-tannehill-reportedly-told-175401570.html

The Dolphins fired head coach Joe Philbin on Monday, and if the team's 1-3 start to the season wasn't reason enough, one report of how he's failed to properly handle quarterback Ryan Tannehill's struggles indicates that there may have been an even deeper level of dysfunction.

On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: “Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy.”
Sources say this has been going on for the past few weeks as the practice squad players have been intercepting Tannehill and frustrating the former Texas A&M wide receiver turned quarterback. ...
Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback’s confidence.
What a mess.

The idea that a coach would tell players not to go full speed against the team's starting quarterback in practice is obviously completely ridiculous, and Tannehill choosing to call out practice squad players in this manner can't exactly be an endearing quality for his teammates to look up to in the person who's supposed to be the leader of the franchise.

I saw this a couple of days ago but didn't post it. I was reminded of it today when I saw that today Tannehill admitted to some of it but not all of it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...out-squad-denies-belittling-teammate-paycheck

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill admitted Wednesday that he made disparaging remarks to his scout-team defense during last weekend's practice in London. However, Tannehill denied mentioning anything about a paycheck, which has been previously reported.

"It was a day before the [New York Jets] game, and I didn't feel we were getting the looks that we needed before a game, so I got upset," Tannehill said after Wednesday's practice. "But I said nothing about a paycheck or anything close to that. I know everyone in this building works hard every single day. So I respect that and I would never take a shot like that.

"Am I happy about everything I said? No. [Am I happy] the things went down the way they did? No. I hold myself to a higher standard than to take a shot at something like that."

Tannehill admitted to saying comments about "a scout team or trophy" after the defense was giving him trouble in practice. This is the latest internal issue with the Dolphins in a year that's included a 1-3 start and the firing of former coach Joe Philbin.

"I was heated, I'm very passionate about this game," he said. "I put a lot into it, put a lot into my preparation, how I go about my business every day. And I feel like it's the day before the game and it's crucial to our preparation and how we go into a game. I did get upset and said those things, but I talked to those guys and cleared the air with them and we're moving forward."

Tannehill went out the following day and had his worst game of the season against the Jets. He threw for a season-low 198 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in a 27-14 loss to New York.

On Wednesday, Tannehill remained concerned that an incident in practice had gotten out to the media.

"To put words into my mouth that I didn't say, to degrade my reputation and what I stand for -- honestly it's sickening to me," Tannehill said. "On top of that, just the fact that something inside the locker room gets out obviously upsets me as well."

I find it interesting that Brady actually rewards players who pick him off in practice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...s-who-pick-him-off-in-practice-175934644.html

In the wake of the Miami Dolphins firing head coach Joe Philbin on Monday, a report emerged detailing some of the problems Philbin had as the Dolphins were dropping three straight games, including quarterback Ryan Tannehill lashing out at practice squad players who had intercepted him in practice.

The National Football Post story said Tannehill had gotten upset during the team's Saturday practice in London, and after practice squad players forced turnovers, said to them, "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy."

The report has caused a stir, and does not reflect well on Tannehill, though he strongly denied on Wednesday that he mentioned players' paychecks.

It also caused at least one player who played with Tom Brady to note that Brady treats practice squad players far differently:

I talked to Stallworth, who played for the Patriots in 2007 and again in 2012 and remains close to Brady, to find out a little more.

"I won't say how much he paid them, but he'd pay scout team and practice squad guys if they picked him off," Stallworth said. "Not in an arrogant manner, but more, 'Let's work together.' He'd tell them, if you can read me, read the receiver, pick me off and I'll pay you.

"Tommy likes to have fun. He's a great teammate and he loves to compete. He's trash talking guys, they trash talk him. But it's all fun. He's insanely competitive."

[Play Yahoo Daily Fantasy and get a 100% deposit bonus with your first deposit]

But Stallworth said he can understand why Tannehill would be frustrated. Saturday pratices before Sunday games are walkthroughs, held at half-speed, sometimes in a hotel ballroom, and unlike Wednesday and Thursday practices, are not meant to be competitive. They are the last time the offense will get to work on the game plan before the game, and likewise for the defense.

Stallworth added that likewise he could see why Tannehill would be upset if scout team or practice squad players weren't "playing honest" the other days of the week, because that's detrimental to the team. If that's what is happening, it's on the head coach or coordinators, Stallworth said.

"You don’t get to waste reps…if that’s happening in the week, that’s a differnet story. If they’re sitting on routes, they’re not helping. If they’re not playing honest defense, that’s hurting us. I undersntad Tannehill's position from that end, you’ve got to be able to give guys a good look and make sure they’re running the right routes. Same thing for offensive scout team, if [a player isn't] running right route, right depth. You need to give defense the right look."

But, "(Tannehill) shouldn't feel that way if they’re playing honest football. If they’re playing hoenst football, he shouldn’t be upset."

Stallworth has lived in Miami for several years and as such has seen plenty of Dolphins games. Though as a career receiver he's rooting for Tannehill, a former college receiver, to succeed, he sees a big gap between Tannehill and the NFL's elite quarterbacks, like Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

Sounds like tannehill is a complete toolbag getting paid like a franchise QB.

2016 $11.6 million cap hit
2017 $20.3 million cap hit
2018 $19.8 million cap hit
2019 $21.0 million cap hit
2020 $19.5 million cap hit

Miami better hope he turns it around quickly, against good defensive teams or they will be regretting the 4 year $77 million dollar ($45 million guaranteed) they just signed him to in a hurry.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Miami would be willing to trade Tannehill for two 1sts and a 3rd.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or we could give them Cutler .

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no interest in Tannehill. Never believe in him from the start.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler. Not complaining just bothering some of you. Cutler. See how this creates traffic. Rush should give me a raise.

Reactions: WCL

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
pathetic isn't it

Without rules or regulations or someone to enforce them it will continue to be lord of the flies

Cutler.

Side question: (this one is mostly for you pib since I see you've got it figured out) How do I set up my CCS account to alert me every time "Cutler" is inserted into a post? Thx in advance

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cutler.

Side question: (this one is mostly for you pib since I see you've got it figured out) How do I set up my CCS account to alert me every time "Cutler" is inserted into a post? Thx in advance

Easy. Just look for certain posters in the thread. They will make it about Cutler regardless of topic. Hope that helps

Toast88

Liked Posts:
(Teams that have a worse QB situation, Part 2?)