You're the GM (Game)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Buster Olney
‏@Buster_ESPN
Jeff Samardzija just became one of the most valuable commodities on the market. Thought to be healthy, w/ far fewer innings than FA peers.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Buster Olney is dim whit and a Saux fan to boot.

Still, knowing the cheap ass Cubs, they will probably sign him. #disgrace

czman

Liked Posts:
Buster Olney
‏@Buster_ESPN
Jeff Samardzija just became one of the most valuable commodities on the market. Thought to be healthy, w/ far fewer innings than FA peers.

Yes and two teams that are willing to spend big dollars just dropped out of the hunt for a SP. There are two top guys left. Not sure if this affects him much. Plus there are still pitchers out there who had better years than him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
50/50 Greinke goes to either Dodgers or Giants. Got to expect the loser to gun for trading up for Miller.

Now Braves want Soler. Cubs can move Bryant to RF still and then move Baez to 3B. I don't think they lose much on the O and add a legit 3 in the rotation. At that point they could even muse going after Heyward for CF then move him to RF and Bryant to LF if/when Schwarber is ready to catch and Almora is ready to take over CF.

It would not be a bad plan.

On Price. Boston did say they were going to do it and most scoffed at it. Well sounds to me that Dumbroski got his man again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Buster Olney
‏@Buster_ESPN

I doubt the Cubs go after him. If they can trade Soler for Miller and move some players around from their depth they don't have to make a major investment into a sketchy investment. At that point they could use that 20 mil more wisely.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Now that Price and Zimmerman are off the board, ill put my play the GM cap back on..

More i think about it the more id be ok with signing Samardzija and trading Soler for Miller but i also want Heyward as my big signing. ..

I would then play Heyward in CF and move Bryant to RF , with Baez moving to 3B

I would try and trade Hammel but if there no takers, then having Hammel (RH) and wood (LH) in the pen as long relief /emergency starters wouldn't be a bad thing and both could be small trade baits come deadline. .

So, this is my new wish list

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
50/50 Greinke goes to either Dodgers or Giants. Got to expect the loser to gun for trading up for Miller.

Now Braves want Soler. Cubs can move Bryant to RF still and then move Baez to 3B. I don't think they lose much on the O and add a legit 3 in the rotation. At that point they could even muse going after Heyward for CF then move him to RF and Bryant to LF if/when Schwarber is ready to catch and Almora is ready to take over CF.

On Price. Boston did say they were going to do it and most scoffed at it. Well sounds to me that Dumbroski got his man again.

He has trade for, traded away, and signed Price in what a year and a half. lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now that Price and Zimmerman are off the board, ill put my play the GM cap back on..

More i think about it the more id be ok with signing Samardzija and trading Soler for Miller but i also want Heyward as my big signing. ..

I would then play Heyward in CF and move Bryant to RF , with Baez moving to 3B

I would try and trade Hammel but if there no takers, then having Hammel (RH) and wood (LH) in the pen as long relief /emergency starters wouldn't be a bad thing and both could be small trade baits come deadline. .

So, this is my new wish list

IDK. They said add 20 mil so 140 mil payroll if that is correct. Shark would cost 18 mil 15 if they back load. Heyward would cost 22 mil most likely. So that is adding 40 mil to payroll.

I don't see it unless they can kick Hammel to the curb and have a team take 100%. Again that doesn't seem the Theo/Jed M.O.

What I see as a smart choice is trading Soler for Miller. They move Bryant to RF. That takes care of the #3. Makes the rotation Arrieta, Lester, Miller, Hammel, Hendricks.

That adds almost nothing to payroll and gives the rotation a strong boost. Now at that point the glaring need becomes CF/lead off. I would be tempted to go after Span or resign Fowler. Either on a 3 year deal. That gives them the opportunity to move the pieces when Almora promotes. If Schwarber is ready to catch then move either to LF and Almora to CF.

The reality is they need to keep payroll flexible. Even thinking they will commit 20 mil per to anyone is pretty sketchy. A 3 year 45 mil deal to a CF is more realistic.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Dombrowski has proven he's not afraid to grossly increase payroll without worrying about WS rings.

(I'm talking recently)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dombrowski has proven he's not afraid to grossly increase payroll without worrying about WS rings.

(I'm talking recently)

Helps having a owner that shows a willingness to spend.

The thing is Boston already went through the stadium rebuild and the area rebuild when Theo was there. Add to it that that team generates more cash than the Cubs. It is a top 3 market vs a top 5-6 market.

I think the reality is if they could afford to spend 180 mil per they would. Right now they can't. But the fact they are adding 20 mil to budget is a step in the right direction.

Add to it the new TV deal should push the ball forward in years to come.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Helps having a owner that shows a willingness to spend.

The thing is Boston already went through the stadium rebuild and the area rebuild when Theo was there. Add to it that that team generates more cash than the Cubs. It is a top 3 market vs a top 5-6 market.

I think the reality is if they could afford to spend 180 mil per they would. Right now they can't. But the fact they are adding 20 mil to budget is a step in the right direction.

Add to it the new TV deal should push the ball forward in years to come.

You were referring to Boston, then started using the term "they", but by "they", you mesn the Cubs? ("We")

chibears55

Liked Posts:
IDK. They said add 20 mil so 140 mil payroll if that is correct. Shark would cost 18 mil 15 if they back load. Heyward would cost 22 mil most likely. So that is adding 40 mil to payroll.

I don't see it unless they can kick Hammel to the curb and have a team take 100%. Again that doesn't seem the Theo/Jed M.O.

What I see as a smart choice is trading Soler for Miller. They move Bryant to RF. That takes care of the #3. Makes the rotation Arrieta, Lester, Miller, Hammel, Hendricks.

That adds almost nothing to payroll and gives the rotation a strong boost. Now at that point the glaring need becomes CF/lead off. I would be tempted to go after Span or resign Fowler. Either on a 3 year deal. That gives them the opportunity to move the pieces when Almora promotes. If Schwarber is ready to catch then move either to LF and Almora to CF.

The reality is they need to keep payroll flexible. Even thinking they will commit 20 mil per to anyone is pretty sketchy. A 3 year 45 mil deal to a CF is more realistic.

Who said only add 20 mil ? Rosenthal ? and he pulled that amount out of where ? His ass ?

Sorry, only 2 people i will listen to when they say how much payroll will be is Ricketts and Epstein. .
Everyone else is just speculation

Right now payroll sits at about 80 +, we have no idea yet who their gonna tender for Arbs and etc.
So, i think it off to assume how much they have left to spend along with guessing how much they will spend. .

I dont want to see Hammel back in the rotation, although Samardzija an upgrade over him and younger , he just a slight upgrade in the 3 hole..

Then add Miller or someone like him via trade for the 4th slot and Hendricks at 5 now..
That would be a decent bottom of rotation to compete for a division title. ..

Also, Epstein has already indicated there no plan for Schwarber to be a catcher except for in a very limited role..
My take that means emergency situation. ...
Epstein said Schwarber will be focusing more on LF
So, i think it time to trash the Schwarber as Catcher thoughts

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sometimes the truth is funnier than fiction. :lol:

Don't you know? We should trade for all the best players in the league and sign all the top FA's. A payroll of 300 million is sustainable right?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who said only add 20 mil ? Rosenthal ? and he pulled that amount out of where ? His ass ?

Sorry, only 2 people i will listen to when they say how much payroll will be is Ricketts and Epstein. .
Everyone else is just speculation

Right now payroll sits at about 80 +, we have no idea yet who their gonna tender for Arbs and etc.
So, i think it off to assume how much they have left to spend along with guessing how much they will spend. .

I dont want to see Hammel back in the rotation, although Samardzija an upgrade over him and younger , he just a slight upgrade in the 3 hole..

Then add Miller or someone like him via trade for the 4th slot and Hendricks at 5 now..
That would be a decent bottom of rotation to compete for a division title. ..

Also, Epstein has already indicated there no plan for Schwarber to be a catcher except for in a very limited role..
My take that means emergency situation. ...
Epstein said Schwarber will be focusing more on LF
So, i think it time to trash the Schwarber as Catcher thoughts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...warber-bits-cubs-spt-1023-20151022-story.html

With his lack of major-league experience at catcher and his recent woes in left field, Kyle Schwarber will be diligent in working on his defense entering the 2016 season.

"We're not good enough to forecast how his career is going to go defensively," President Theo Epstein said Thursday. "What position he will play, keeping all the options open makes sense as long as we're not getting in the way of his development, his ability to stay in the lineup and his long-term health."

Schwarber, 22, advanced to the majors sooner than anticipated because of his hitting. That stunted his development as a catcher. Schwarber played left field adequately until the final two games of the National League Championship Series, but the Cubs already had planned to have him work with catching coach Mike Borzello next spring.

"Until we reach a point where we think it's not the right path, we're going to continue to expose him to both (positions)," Epstein said.

I don't know where people are saying that Schwarber is done as a catcher. I read the plan is for him to catch once a week next season. I know Montero is having a one on one camp with him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...warber-bits-cubs-spt-1023-20151022-story.html

With his lack of major-league experience at catcher and his recent woes in left field, Kyle Schwarber will be diligent in working on his defense entering the 2016 season.

"We're not good enough to forecast how his career is going to go defensively," President Theo Epstein said Thursday. "What position he will play, keeping all the options open makes sense as long as we're not getting in the way of his development, his ability to stay in the lineup and his long-term health."

Schwarber, 22, advanced to the majors sooner than anticipated because of his hitting. That stunted his development as a catcher. Schwarber played left field adequately until the final two games of the National League Championship Series, but the Cubs already had planned to have him work with catching coach Mike Borzello next spring.

"Until we reach a point where we think it's not the right path, we're going to continue to expose him to both (positions)," Epstein said.

I don't know where people are saying that Schwarber is done as a catcher. I read the plan is for him to catch once a week next season. I know Montero is having a one on one camp with him.

In my book it one or the other. .

He cant work on his defense in LF and learn how to be a Catcher at the same time ..
that too much to take on at the major league level without having it effect his overall play and hurt him where he most valuable, his bat..

if the goal is to not dwarf his development, and keep him healthy and in lineup..your not going to burden him with learning 2 positions at once, Especially with one being as important as Catcher and difficult to learn..

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Didn't Jed Hoyer say that Bryant would be at 3B for the foreseeable future?

If they were to trade Soler, I believe I also read how natural Baez looked at shagging balls in the outfield last year. Could he possibly be a player in RF for the Cubs, and could he be a decent enough defensive ball player out there?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Soler for Miller straight up? No thanks. Braves will need to give us something else. We can always just go buy Cueto.

Miller is a #4 pitcher, not a #3. His postseason stats are horrendous which is the same argument that people were using not to go after Price. Soler is more valuable than Miller, IMO. Ultimately I don't make the decisions though unfortunately. I'd much rather see the Cubs go after Salazar than Miller.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He has trade for, traded away, and signed Price in what a year and a half. lol

If the cubs sign Shark they will have traded away then re-signed all of the pieces they gave up in the Russell trade. Not quite the same but also pretty lulzy.