dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I know there have been a lot of negative talk about my boy Marc, but he had himself quite the game tonight. 3 catches for 3 big first downs. He might have a place as our clutch slot guy down the stretch here. Up with Montana boys!!!

The negative talk has only been about his ST play not his big catches he makes. He had some big catches last night and he's had a few other big catches in other games but last night he really made some big catches.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He had a good game, other than fumbling another kick. Congrats to him and BFD. Doesn't change the fact that he's a backup and journeyman. You know, I wasn't going to post here after his fumbled kickoff but since I've been blasted about it, Why not and I hope he continues to do well. He had a game where he doubled his reception total for the year. Fact is that he was a WR with 3 catches for the season before this game and drawing conclusions of grandeur from that was just silly.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Jay seems to trust him in the slot.

I know people dislike him, but thats humorous. And he came up huge tonight with dome great grabs, and he crucially fought for a 1st down on their first scoring drive. Shouts out to him for some damn good blocking as well.

Is it also humorous what he's done on special teams this year?? I don't think so. Nobody on here has ever said anything about him on offense just all the mistakes he's made on ST.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He's been a decent 3rd down change of pace WR all year. Sadly for him, to hold a roster spot for someone playing that role he also has to be able to help out on special teams.

Tom Brady would make Mariani into a star slot WR. He would easily replace Edleman or Amendola.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He got his 7 receptions in the last 5 games though, after he started getting more snaps on offensive.

Pro Bowl bound. If he keeps that up, he may actually get some attention from a D. I kinda like the guy's blue collar style but come on people. Star?

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
The Packers high is really getting to some of you. He did make 3 catches last night but come on. Saying he has been a "decent WR all year" or that he "played great as a WR" is ridiculous. He has 7-87yrds on the season.

Why do you keep using stats to say he isn't a serviceable WR? He's decent and gets open. He's often the last read but that shouldn't discount what he offers.

You're still trying to win with stats but it's obvious the guy runs good routes and tries really fucking hard even though he's not the athlete Alshon or Wilson are.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Fact is that he was a WR with 3 catches for the season before this game and drawing conclusions of grandeur from that was just silly.

Except for the fact i called that shit more than a week ago. I told you he was getting more reps and noticed he was getting open and running good routes. You and eyesore thought it would be smart to argue he wasn't. Now the increased opportunity turned into production and you both are caught fuckin back pedaling.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Why do you keep using stats to say he isn't a serviceable WR? He's decent and gets open. He's often the last read but that shouldn't discount what he offers.

You're still trying to win with stats but it's obvious the guy runs good routes and tries really fucking hard even though he's not the athlete Alshon or Wilson are.

Yes, why would anyone use the numbers that are available to compare him to other receivers? It's as if you think it would be more unbiased to just say he is below average. I am sure he tries hard, but he is what he is, below average. That's not to say he can't contribute, because he did last night, but if 12 receptions in 49 career games is your stats line, how could you classify him as anything more than below average?

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Tom Brady would make Mariani into a star slot WR. He would easily replace Edleman or Amendola.

maybe a game like last night where he had key contributions to that win will boost his confidence to a point where his special teams plays is elevated

MontanaBear

Liked Posts:
There's a breakfast restaurant in Missoula with a football play of the grizzly's painted on the inside wall. Is that a play from the great comeback Mariani was a part of? I ate there once and kinda put two and two together about a week or so ago.

Don't think I am familiar with the place but it could be! They had a good team in the mid 90's so that could also be where it is from!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, but he has played well as a receiver and I think is reliable as a punt returner. Kick returning has become a lost art in the NFL I think it is hard on Bears fans since we witnessed the greatness of Hester.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In they way he plays on the field. I've seen him open when cutler went to someone else. But you stat guys got it all figured out?

He runs excellent routes and has good hands. He also madea couple of great blocks in this game.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i would have been OK if Bears cut Mariani after all the fumbles, but he's made some huge catches in some of these games and has caught everything thrown in his direction.

this is why I'm not a coach/gm.

his pr and kr still needs improvement tho.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know there have been a lot of negative talk about my boy Marc, but he had himself quite the game tonight. 3 catches for 3 big first downs. He might have a place as our clutch slot guy down the stretch here. Up with Montana boys!!!

Not to mention he had a few excellent blocks in this game as well as fielding punts well on a crappy day weather-wise. The GB guy didn't fare as well. When you think about it, fielding a punt has got to be one of the most difficultjobs on a football field.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Yes, why would anyone use the numbers that are available to compare him to other receivers? It's as if you think it would be more unbiased to just say he is below average. I am sure he tries hard, but he is what he is, below average. That's not to say he can't contribute, because he did last night, but if 12 receptions in 49 career games is your stats line, how could you classify him as anything more than below average?
Decent by definition is serviceable! Yet you argued he was not a decent wr by using stats. I argued he was by pointing out he gets open by running good routes. You use stats, i used what i saw on the field. That's the difference and finally his opportunity turned into production which makes him serviceable and a decent wr option.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
He runs excellent routes and has good hands. He also madea couple of great blocks in this game.
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say for a few weeks now. The ball wasn't going his way but i did notice he was getting open. I'm glad he had a decent game and made the plays he was targeted on.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Decent by definition is serviceable! Yet you argued he was not a decent wr by using stats. I argued he was by pointing out he gets open by running good routes. You use stats, i used what i saw on the field. That's the difference and finally his opportunity turned into production which makes him serviceable and a decent wr option.

I use the fact that he will not see the field as a WR at any point, ever, once Royal, Jeffery, and White are healthy and the fact that he has never been more than a 5th WR at best to surmise he is less than average. Don't dislike the guy, just know what he is.