The Interesting Case of Tracy Porter

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For most of his career Tracy Porter has been an okay CB who could start for a team and he has started for 5 teams. Injuries have played a significant role in his career.

Porter was signed as a late FA and is making the vet minimum for this season. He was constantly injured in camp and the preseason.

In 8 games he has looked like a shut down CB. He has been playing at a Pro Bowl level. He has been one of the biggest factors in the defenses success, and he is a free agent.

What do you do with Tracy Porter?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some Possible Contract Comps

Antonio Cromartie 4 years 32 million/7 guaranteed

Trumaine Williams 3 years 21 million/10 guaranteed

Cary Williams 3 years 18 million/7 guaranteed

Porter would seem to fit somewhere in that group. I would absolutely re-sign him and I am sure he is motivated to stay with Fangio and Donatel.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I want to re-sign him obviously, but it's hard to expect him to keep this level of play up for the next few years. He has never played at this level for this long, whether it be due to injuries or just a lack of talent. How can we trust that he will keep this up?

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
It's definitely a good problem to have!

With the way the Bears are improving we're certainly going to be paying out a little more money to existing players on the roster than most of us probably originally thought.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Re-sign the shit out of him.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I don't know but is it possible to offer him a deal now? Does it work like that in the NFL? Surely the Bears don't want to risk someone else offering him more. If he hasn't got paid for a while maybe he'll want a fair bit.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
For most of his career Tracy Porter has been an okay CB who could start for a team and he has started for 5 teams. Injuries have played a significant role in his career.

Porter was signed as a late FA and is making the vet minimum for this season. He was constantly injured in camp and the preseason.

In 8 games he has looked like a shut down CB. He has been playing at a Pro Bowl level. He has been one of the biggest factors in the defenses success, and he is a free agent.

It's a tricky situation because he is awesome when he is healthy! If you look at that kind of production and his salary - you have to keep this guy! That's until he misses foot games do to an injury. Therein lies the enigma.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
3 yrs / 15 mil / 8 gtd with games played and int incentives that could make him 20 mil with a more realistic 17-18 mil outcome if he plays out the 3 years.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I sign him to a two year contract with an option year. He is like you said having a terrific season and fits a vital cog with the Bear's defense. I still want them to draft a cover corner in the draft, though.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I think you absolutely have to re-sign him. He's 29 so has a good three to four years left if he can stay injury free. A lot depends on whether he maintains this form for the rest of the season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I want to re-sign him obviously, but it's hard to expect him to keep this level of play up for the next few years. He has never played at this level for this long, whether it be due to injuries or just a lack of talent. How can we trust that he will keep this up?

I can't see it as a lack of talent. Talent is God Given and what he is doing is that. Injuries are a different thing. Maybe he just had a run of bad luck? The talent he has doesn't grow on trees.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Re-sign him and draft a corner fairly early to develop behind him and possibly step in if he gets hurt. He's clearly clicking with Fangio and this team.

Its crazy how much things can change over the course of a season, 3 games in and our corner situation looked absolutely hopeless. Fuller was playing awful, Porter wasn't even on the radar, and McMannis was brutally bad.

Now, Porter has come out of nowhere and is a borderline shut down corner, Fuller has been amongst the best all around corners in football over the last 8 games and Callahan is playing great football at the nickel spot. Along with Amos the secondary is suddenly a strength of the team.

mecha

Liked Posts:
THEY'RE GELLING! or is it jelling?

Rodgers blatantly missed on a lot of passes, but these guys have broken up a lot of passes too. it's pretty intriguing watching it happen too, when you consider they were supposed to be worst ever.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You have to pay him.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Yes Porter has been playing well as of late however imo in order for the bears to resign him he has to stay healthy and be consistent. the most I would give him if those two things are met is a 2-3 year deal between 6-9 mil with incentives

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd give him two more years

baredown

Liked Posts:
Alonzo Spellman syndrome - predicate future performance on the guy's most recent couple of games. Tracy Porter has a full NFL resume. An eight year career spread over five teams, and a history of missing games for injury. Generally speaking, a one INT/yr guy. Signed by the Bears at the league minimum for one year, meaning no one else in the NFL thought a whole lot of his previous body of work. He'll be 30 next year, a point where even durable CBs start to break down (see Tillman...). And people think the Bears should be jumping to throw a multi-year, guaranteed, high-level contract at him? Seriously?

Look, I hope the Bears can work something out with Porter to keep him around for another year or two. But if another NFL team wants to throw a lot of guaranteed money at him, fine. Let him go and go find the next stopgap CB, while rebuilding the talent base through the draft. Rebuilding around 30yr old veterans with very average careers is silly. I doubt Pace would fall into that...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Gave my opinion in the FA DB thread. Still going to be 30 next year. Still only has 1 16-game season played.

This season, he was brought in for depth. Nobody thought he would play over Ball or Jennings. He was competing with McManis for playing time and a roster spot we thought.

I'd sign him, but I'd make him earn his roster spot again next year. Still sign a FA CB or draft one early. I wouldn't give him more than 2 years though. And little guaranteed money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk