What a difference a real coaching staff makes

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The true impact this coaching staff has had on this team cannot be underestimated and in fact likely has been especially by myself and many others (not calling out anyone just generalizing). This team is disciplined in each and every one of its assignments and it's not always evident. Example last night the Packers needed a first down in a key situation and Porter rather than back pedaling to the point that he would have been out of position to make a play sat and squatted and baited Rodgers into a throw. He batted the pass away because he was disciplined in his play and trusted not to bite on something he knew the. Packers wouldn't do.

Why is it coaching? Because after the 0-3 start Antrelle Rolle stated it was coaching, Rolle has already bought in and even in the frustration of it all knew that the coaches had equipped them with all the habits and tendencies that their opponents had game planned. Kyle Fuller needed to go out and excuse what was being coached and boy has he since that time. Fuller has solidified his role in this defense and I suspect his play will only get better.

It's coaching because there are players on this team who weren't here in August that are making plays now because they've been put in position to make plays because of the game plan. Guys like Unrein, Callahan, Prosinski are playing better than just about any other player we've seen brought in here in a scrub off the street signing because of coaching and the players' trust in that coaching.

I have never quite seen anything like this in. Bears history finding scrubs off the street and having them play up and above expectations to the pint that the Bears are beating good teams. Lovie and Chico and Lovie and Marinelli together were great defensive coaches but they had Urlacher and. Briggs to hold things together when things would have otherwise gone to shit. Don't get me started on how shitty the offense was and how they could never formulate any semblance of a passing game.

I have no idea how far this team goes this season. There are still a lot of problems in the ability to stop the run, the front is all banged up to shit and that could be the ultimate undoing of the season. It's obvious this team could win out that much is clear, I'm not unaware of the favoribility of the schedule, but since this isn't a team that can flat out dominate teams and too often shit happens in the NFL (Poor officiating ). I don't have confidence that they could win every game left. There is confidence in this staff in the remaining schedule all of it, but it's going to come down to I have no idea anymore. Momentum? Belief in the system? Luck?

There's just enough confidence and just enough doubt. But none of that matters because it's just fun to be competitive again after two years of absolute futility and the predictability of impending defensive failure.

Mitchapalooza

berneydidnotread.gif

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
John Fox or Gase lack of a killer instinct when having a lead is a major problem.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
you're kidding. a week ago it was all about how John Fox is a shithead (again)

Welcome to life with Biff, where he meanders like an idiot and then gets super jealous when a real journalist shows up.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you're kidding. a week ago it was all about how John Fox is a shithead (again)

Took the words right out my mouth..

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Welcome to life with Biff, where he meanders like an idiot and then gets super jealous when a real journalist shows up.

Hey fuckface I've been on the side of Fox the entire season and haven't waivered on the ball coach once.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wait. "It can NOT be underestimated, and likely has been"?

What?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree biff. Which is why its so stupid to see people on here question the conservative approach. They applaud the coaching or bash it on a play by play basis, solely on whether that individual play was successful. And thats not how it works. Its just stupid hindsight sniping mostly.

And I am not saying Fox and co are beyond reproach at all. But there is some ultra Special person criticism that goes on.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Agree biff. Which is why its so stupid to see people on here question the conservative approach. They applaud the coaching or bash it on a play by play basis, solely on whether that individual play was successful. And thats not how it works. Its just stupid hindsight sniping mostly.

And I am not saying Fox and co are beyond reproach at all. But there is some ultra Special person criticism that goes on.

Last week hilarious because Fox has been so over the top criticized for being too conservative, then he gets aggressive and they pile on just as hard. He's coach of the year at this point.

mecha

Liked Posts:
they'll always find some way to criticize him.

doesn't matter if it's conservative and it goes according to plan, or if it's aggressive and the play on the field doesn't get it done. in the latter instance I don't see John Fox throwing or catching balls, so I don't see how that's his fault.

I think it's great they're playing within the means of the personnel they've had available on both sides of the ball. it's a welcome change to hammering square pegs in round holes like the previous regimes.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last week hilarious because Fox has been so over the top criticized for being too conservative, then he gets aggressive and they pile on just as hard. He's coach of the year at this point.

Fox has done the job, no doubt. But he's not Coach of the Year. Chico Rivera is ...

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Just as important as coaching, it's the culture and blueprint that Pace laid down. That counts for a lot. The GM is the vision of the team. Emery laid down his vision and it happened to be a train colliding with a bus of explosives. Pace has a particular player he's looking for, and opposed to Emery's guy, his prototype has more to do with intangibles like toughness and football IQ. Emery preferred athletes. Beyond the personnel aspect, Pace hired a guy like Fox who has strong ties to assistant coaches, that demands respect and doing the little things. Just a total contrast and it's obvious which approach is better suited for the NFL.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Pace set a precedent when he let the older and nonproductive players go. I'm sure that had something to do with it. anyone became expendable.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The true impact this coaching staff has had on this team cannot be underestimated and in fact likely has been especially by myself and many others (not calling out anyone just generalizing). This team is disciplined in each and every one of its assignments and it's not always evident. Example last night the Packers needed a first down in a key situation and Porter rather than back pedaling to the point that he would have been out of position to make a play sat and squatted and baited Rodgers into a throw. He batted the pass away because he was disciplined in his play and trusted not to bite on something he knew the. Packers wouldn't do.

Why is it coaching? Because after the 0-3 start Antrelle Rolle stated it was coaching, Rolle has already bought in and even in the frustration of it all knew that the coaches had equipped them with all the habits and tendencies that their opponents had game planned. Kyle Fuller needed to go out and excuse what was being coached and boy has he since that time. Fuller has solidified his role in this defense and I suspect his play will only get better.

It's coaching because there are players on this team who weren't here in August that are making plays now because they've been put in position to make plays because of the game plan. Guys like Unrein, Callahan, Prosinski are playing better than just about any other player we've seen brought in here in a scrub off the street signing because of coaching and the players' trust in that coaching.

I have never quite seen anything like this in. Bears history finding scrubs off the street and having them play up and above expectations to the pint that the Bears are beating good teams. Lovie and Chico and Lovie and Marinelli together were great defensive coaches but they had Urlacher and. Briggs to hold things together when things would have otherwise gone to shit. Don't get me started on how shitty the offense was and how they could never formulate any semblance of a passing game.

I have no idea how far this team goes this season. There are still a lot of problems in the ability to stop the run, the front is all banged up to shit and that could be the ultimate undoing of the season. It's obvious this team could win out that much is clear, I'm not unaware of the favoribility of the schedule, but since this isn't a team that can flat out dominate teams and too often shit happens in the NFL (Poor officiating ). I don't have confidence that they could win every game left. There is confidence in this staff in the remaining schedule all of it, but it's going to come down to I have no idea anymore. Momentum? Belief in the system? Luck?

There's just enough confidence and just enough doubt. But none of that matters because it's just fun to be competitive again after two years of absolute futility and the predictability of impending defensive failure.

giphy.gif

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:

He is a conservative coach and a bit more than I would like him to be. His in game clock management is awful as well. Those two things said he is a huge upgrade over any coach the Bears have had since the 80's. Just the mere fact that his coordinators tend to be great was a nice bonus. The Bears appear to have really lucked out with Fangio/Gase being the two current Fox coordinators that are looking good under his regime.

I think Fox best attribute is how he communicates with the team and controls the overall atmosphere. Guys like Marshall, while talented were immediately removed from the team. That sent a loud message to the players that being a sideshow and locker room cancer, isn't going to happen under his watch. He doesn't play around with guys who are not producing. If a player is not doing well, they will try someone else. They have no problem putting players in a position they have never been in before but they believe is a spot they will succeed in.

My hope is that Fox is here a few years and helps the organization become a better run organization overall. I think he is a bonus when it comes to dealing with Pace. I'm sure Pace has an ego like anyone else but I also think he will be looking to Fox experience on how shit gets done. More than he would if the Bears hired another retread failure that has been out of football for 10 years.

Once a few years goes by, I'm also hoping that Fox has a coordinator as an heir apparent to become the next HC. Odds are Fox isn't going to be a HC much longer. That's not going by more than just a gut feeling that he doesn't plan to coach for another decade. I think the Bears are probably his last stop as HC before he retires.

When he does leave I hope a Gase type OC is groomed and ready to roll.

The biggest test for this new regime is the upcoming off season. They did quite well with their first draft and FA period. The second FA period / Draft is going to be much bigger. They should have more picks, more money to spend & a better feel on what this team needs.

For the first time in well over 20 years I'm excited about Bears football. I can actually see multiple reasons for optimism and its a great frigging change to say the least.