How the Bears get Von Miller

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How the Bears get Von Miller

The Broncos are loaded with free agents who are going to hit the market, Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe, Danny Trevathan, Brandon marshall [RFA], and Ronnie Hillman. But the 2 most important free agents are QB Brock Osweiler and OLB Von Miller.

Many have assumed that it is a no-brainer that Von Miller would be franchise tagged, but the recent strong play of QB Brock Osweiler and the absolute lack of quality NFL QBs may change plans drastically. Osweiler is set to become and UFA and one could assume that many teams will be lining up to possibly sign him. The number of suitors will only be increased by a pretty weak QB draft class. One can only assume that Cleveland, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Houston would be lining up to upgrade to Osweiler.

This may force the Broncos to franchise tag Osweiler to keep him.

If Osweiler is franchise tagged it would open the door for the Bears and they have a number of factors that could make them a super attractive landing spot.

-Von Miller apparently has a close relationship with Jon Fox who drafted him. Hub Arkush speculated that they would both have interest in re-uniting.

-The Bears will have upwards of 70 million in cap space. Even after cutting Ware and Manning the Broncos would be lucky to get to 30. The Bears could offer Miller a deal that is so front loaded Denver simply could not afford to match it.

-The Bears have very few draft picks to re-sign over the next 4 years, with Jeffery and Long being the only must re-signs, which means they have the flexibility to adsorb a massive deal until Pace's draft classes start to come to free agency. The Bears have a 3 year window to spend.

-The Broncos could potentially keep 3-4 other starters on defense for the 16-18 annually that Miller will make.

The Bears could make Von Miller the highest paid defensive player of all time and structure it to eat most of the money early in the deal, which protects them long term and makes it very difficult for Denver to match the first 3 year pay out.

OLB Von Miller [Denver] 6 years 114.5 million/60 guaranteed

Year 1: 10 million base/15 guaranteed [25] Denver simply cannot afford to pay him this much, his first year salary would need to be 15 million less.

Year 2: 10 million base/15 guaranteed [25] The Bears will enter the 2017 offseason needing to extend Long and no one else of note. Miller has already put 50 million in the bank.

Year 3: 5 million base/10 guaranteed [15]
Year 4: 5 million base/10 guaranteed [15]
Year 5: 12 million base/5 guaranteed [17]
Year 6: 12.5 million base/5 guaranteed [17.5]​

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think it would be the dream scenario as the prized possession of free agency but I don't think there is any chance he is not a Bronco going forward.

They will have plenty of space when they cut Peyton and and Demarcus Ware.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it would be the dream scenario as the prized possession of free agency but I don't think there is any chance he is not a Bronco going forward.

They will have plenty of space when they cut Peyton and and Demarcus Ware.

They will have 29 million if they cut both of them.

If they tag Von Miller [14.5 million] they will have 14.5 million left for their entire budget.

What do you pay Osweiler at that point?

You would think the minimum would be 3 years 26 million/10 guaranteed [8.6 average] that Matt Flynn got, probably more as he will have played more games and in the playoffs.

Best case scenario they spend 23.1 million on Miller and Osweiler and cannot re-sign a single other player.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Miller hits the market the Bears can offer him a contract that is structured so that the Broncos cannot match.

If they tag Miller, than their starting QB will hit an open market desperate for QBs.

I am not saying it will happen, but the better Osweiler plays the more likely it is that he hits the market.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I wouldn't want to spend that much on Von miller. Only position worth that amount of money is QB.

chitown2387

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I wouldn't want to spend that much on Von miller. Only position worth that amount of money is QB.

Yeah, I agree. That's a ton of money for a defensive player. I'd rather take a gamble on another Pernell McPhee type player.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Von Miller might not even except a franchise tag anyway.

If he gets the tag, excepted or not, the Bears cannot negotiate with him.

The Bears just need him to no get the tag, that way they can get a contract in front of him and make him say no to a ton of money and a reuniting with his old coach.

He may still say no, but the Bears would have a chip and a chair.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know it seems like a ton, but the Bears have the money and almost nothing to spend it on internally.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love Miller but I'd be worried about his play dropping off once he gets the that huge of a check. He's seems like the type of FA acquisition that would have a high bust rate.... but maybe his relationship with Fox would keep him going strong. And maybe I am just a little jaded because of past pass rusher free agents ( Peppers and Allen ). McPhee has been pretty good but we also didn't give him a brinks truck full of money.

While I like the idea I'd almost rather sing more quantity than quality in FA and entrust Pace to draft a player of Miller's caliber (or even close too) if that's a position Pace feels we need a major upgrade at.

chitown2387

Liked Posts:
I know it seems like a ton, but the Bears have the money and almost nothing to spend it on internally.

No, I understand that. I wish the Bears could learn to develop their own damn pass rushers and not always have to try and grab a big free agent.

I'd really like to see them get a decent offensive guard in free agency.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
That would be the debate.

I personally believe consistent pass rushers are worth a ton. Only way to beat the great QBs is to hit them.

They are but it's hard for a pass rusher to have consistent production in the 13-14+ sack range year in and year out and if they're not getting that, you're not getting a good return on your investment. Miller has something like 6 sacks so far. Lamar Houston has 5 just for some perspective. I would rather have depth there because if your 100 mil man goes down, you need guys behind him to step up. Keep Houston and/or young and draft a rusher in the first 3 rounds. We need more help on the DL anyway, IMO.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like a high priced Corner, another Safety, a Guard, and a Tackle in FA.

then look at MLB, OLB, DE, QB, TE, in draft.

Not sure what to do about center. If Grasu can stop getting trucked into the backfield he might be alright, or maybe keep Slauson there and plug that FA guard in his old spot?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Funny to think we are in the "enviable" position of not having any players we want to keep.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a disaster, but he is not exactly mister clean either:

In August 2013, Miller was arrested on a failure to appear warrant for driving-related charges in October 2012.[54] Miller was arrested August 11, 2013 at a Colorado gun store when he tried to buy a gun and a background check revealed an outstanding arrest warrant for failing to appear in court on his previous traffic ticket.

In September 2013, Miller was cited for speeding and driving with a suspended license in Arapahoe County, Colorado.[55]

On October 28, 2013, Miller arrived late to his court regarding traffic offenses. Miller had a 10:30 a.m. appearance but didn't get to court until 12:15 p.m.[56]

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
id rather see them build this team through the draft and not go fa spend crazy. but miller would be a nice addition I think its a pipedream though

Liked Posts:
Not a disaster, but he is not exactly mister clean either:

In August 2013, Miller was arrested on a failure to appear warrant for driving-related charges in October 2012.[54] Miller was arrested August 11, 2013 at a Colorado gun store when he tried to buy a gun and a background check revealed an outstanding arrest warrant for failing to appear in court on his previous traffic ticket.

In September 2013, Miller was cited for speeding and driving with a suspended license in Arapahoe County, Colorado.[55]

On October 28, 2013, Miller arrived late to his court regarding traffic offenses. Miller had a 10:30 a.m. appearance but didn't get to court until 12:15 p.m.[56]

Hasn't he already been in trouble with the league numerous times as well? If I remember right, he is only one more screw up away from a year-long suspension. Definitely something to consider for that kind of money.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hasn't he already been in trouble with the league numerous times as well? If I remember right, he is only one more screw up away from a year-long suspension. Definitely something to consider for that kind of money.

Yes, he was suspended 6 games for cheating on a drug test, which is really serious. Many people felt that this suspension was like a gift for what he did. I wouldn't think that the league has a very high tolerance for him going forward.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I agree it's too much money. You could add 2-3 starters for that. What helps the team more? Miller? Or Malik Jackson, Bruce Irvin, and Sean Smith for instance? Without doing the math, I'm just guessing you could get those three with 50 million in the first 2 years.