How would '85 defense fare today?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you're talking about Bears vs Niners in the 84 NFC championship McMahon didn't play, it was Steve Fuller.

Thats what I think that I said. They got shut out. I also remember the 9er center pretty much mocking the BEars after the game with his "Next time bring an offense" bullshit comment.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The defense was named after his jersey number. That's the extent of his relevance to the 85 Bears.

Plank played in the the early 46 and was one of the greatest hard-hitting SS's in the game. I think The Hawk was just trying to reference the fact that even though Plank wasn't the greatest all-around SS, however, Ryan, ( like he did with many players).....designed a "D" that put ppl. in place to make plays.

Lets get familiar with who Plank was ( this why I could never get use to the soft "D" we've became over the last decade or so:

[video=youtube_share;1pGlPedni8Q]https://youtu.be/1pGlPedni8Q[/video]

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Plank played in the the early 46 and was one of the greatest hard-hitting SS's in the game. I think The Hawk was just trying to reference the fact that even though Plank wasn't the greatest all-around SS, however, Ryan, ( like he did with many players).....designed a "D" that put ppl. in place to make plays.

Lets get familiar with who Plank was ( this why I could never get use to the soft "D" we've became over the last decade or so:

[video=youtube_share;1pGlPedni8Q]https://youtu.be/1pGlPedni8Q[/video]

Yeah, Plank was awesome, we get it. It has nothing to do with the 85 Bears. At all.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, Plank was awesome, we get it. It has nothing to do with the 85 Bears. At all.

All the OP was trying to say is Plamk represents the origins of the 46 "D" ( that went to the SB). Yes, we get it, his career was over 3ys b4 we made it to the SB....but he was a "remnant" of the 46 "D" legacy.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
All the OP was trying to say is Plamk represents the origins of the 46 "D" ( that went to the SB). Yes, we get it, his career was over 3ys b4 we made it to the SB....but he was a "remnant" of the 46 "D" legacy.

LOL, no, he wasn't saying that at all. He even corrected himself after FT's comment. Derp.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The prob;em I see with the 46 ( in todays game) is that Ryan would have to find other ways to be dominant/intimidating without "headhunting"

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
LOL, no, he wasn't saying that at all. He even corrected himself after FT's comment. Derp.

ijustposthere....I know.....but I was relating to the overall, contextual liberties of his mistake.

Plank embodied the ferociousness of what the 46 became. And even though he couldn't be with them in the SB.......the ferocious, intimidating spirit of Plank was the legacy he left behind. Every time some wr got cracked or some qb got knocked outta' the game as a result of us utilizing the "46"......the spirit of Plank smiles.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol....if you take any team from a era, and play them against a team of today, they would have a hard time, because of what you mentioned and rules. QBs back then like Marino, would throw all day with these bullshit DB rules. Guys like Payton wouldn't be used like he was. This is why I hate the argument....I have done this in basketball already.

Take any guy from the past and give him todays technology and nutrition and he would be better than he was.....that shit is scary.

Jesse Owens born in 1913.....9.4 second 100 yard dash, 20.3 second 200 yard dash.....he would probably be the fastest man on he planet today with better stuff.

Good points all around:) ANother thing that seldom gets mentioned is the drugs and stuff that today's players take, the physical training that is utilized now and last but not least, the much better surgical prcedures today/ Hell, just look at Butkus and Sayers as examples of surgeries that they had to take versus today's arthriscopic ones. Hell, Butkus almost died because of his botched surgery and Sayers really never got back to where he once was.