How would '85 defense fare today?

Ron Burgundy

A lot has changed in the NFL since the 1985 Bears won Super Bowl XX. So would a timeless defense hold up against modern NFL offenses?

More...

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Well, the 1985 season in the NFL didn't feature pussified rules with a bunch of primadonna babies who practice in pads for 3 minutes a day in training camp. So there is no answer to this question.

Having said that, the 1985 Bears had multiple HOF players who would decapitate these modern day pussies.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Considering what Dan Marino did to us that year I'd imagine we'd have trouble with the Bradys and Rodgers of the world...

I doubt it. If we had played the Dolphins in the SB that year Marino and the rest of that team would have gotten their asses whipped. No way they do that to us twice that year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Considering what Dan Marino did to us that year I'd imagine we'd have trouble with the Bradys and Rodgers of the world...

No McMahon, some lucky bounces and Ryan being very stubborn about not pulling a backer for a Db that day. That lightning would not have struck twice.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The '85 Bears would get torched by just about any NFL team today. Players are absurdly bigger, faster, and stronger than they were in the 80s. Plus the game is far more technical now than it was in the 80s. They'd have no chance.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
The '85 Bears would get torched by just about any NFL team today. Players are absurdly bigger, faster, and stronger than they were in the 80s. Plus the game is far more technical now than it was in the 80s. They'd have no chance.

If we played today, the players on the 85 Bears would also be bigger, faster, and stronger than they were in the 80s. Some consider the '85 Bears to be the greatest team in NFL history so I'm not sure why you think they'd get 'torched."

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You say this... but go back and watch the 1985-86 Superbowl. (youtube has the whole thing with commercials) They were still moving fast as shit. That being said, the passing game has evolved leaps and bounds over what it was back then. Tie that in with play by play analysis on the sidelines utilizing technology, the advanced game planning, rules changes and protection the QBs and receivers are now given and it wouldn't even be close. The 46 would only work in 3rd and long situations.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You say this... but go back and watch the 1985-86 Superbowl. (youtube has the whole thing with commercials) They were still moving fast as shit. That being said, the passing game has evolved leaps and bounds over what it was back then. Tie that in with play by play analysis on the sidelines utilizing technology, the advanced game planning, rules changes and protection the QBs and receivers are now given and it wouldn't even be close. The 46 would only work in 3rd and long situations.

Bullshit

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

Game is less technical due to less technique.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We had a very smart safeties that could tackle, 2 corners that could man and a LB that could run with any TE and that group averaged 230LBs. Singletary was the slowest backer and was timed at 4.65 in college. Dent is a force in any era. 6'5", carried more than his listed 265 lbs at end and they had a 300 lb DT etc etc. That D could play in any era.

As for the team, the interior Oline was too light for todays game.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I have that Black and Blues Brothers poster somewhere with the whole offensive line and I was thinking exactly that, those dudes were a little lean. strong unit though.

there's defenses now with light, but fast guys. weren't people just saying that about the Broncos defense? what's the difference?

the Ryan kids supposedly inject a little bit of 46 in their defenses still, I don't remember which percentage they played it, but I remember reading that Ray Lewis said running the 46 was the most fun he had playing the game. go figure.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Game is less technical due to less technique.

You said this in another thread, and it wasn't any more true then, either.

Watch any OT/DE matchup on a pass play. It's an incredibly detailed chess match involving advanced hand and footwork that will decide who gets the job done. Players aren't just barreling into each other at full speed and hoping something great happens. FFS, teams are bringing in MMA experts to help pass rushers get better at using their hands. And that's just one tiny example.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Yeah they were still moving fast but is that because of how fast they were or just because New England was so much slower than they were? Can't rule that out. The game has gotten bigger/faster/stronger each year. A whole generation has passed since the '85 Bears finished. It's a wildly different league now.

I have that Black and Blues Brothers poster somewhere with the whole offensive line and I was thinking exactly that, those dudes were a little lean. strong unit though.

there's defenses now with light, but fast guys. weren't people just saying that about the Broncos defense? what's the difference?

the Ryan kids supposedly inject a little bit of 46 in their defenses still, I don't remember which percentage they played it, but I remember reading that Ray Lewis said running the 46 was the most fun he had playing the game. go figure.

I had the Junkyard Dogs one as well. It was hanging in my room all through high school and college and I wasn't even born in '85. I adored that team.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It's more complex than size/speed even if you adjusted them to average ranges in those eras of that team to the current athlete.

Now you have to adjust that scheme Buddy. If they stuck a bit too rigidly they would get more exposed than merely the passing games of the next few years did, because of the pass ability. Of course the rules you use would factor in, which set of pass defenses you can use to advantageous help of one side or the other.