Things To Watch in Spring Training

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Since we're only 2 weeks out from those glorious four words "pitchers and catchers report" I thought we could start looking at some of the things to watch for this spring. I have a few:

1) The back end of the rotation is going to be interesting. Hammel and Hendricks are penciled in but what if Adam Warren or Trevor Cahill look lights out in ST? Could there be movement there? My hunch is no, the FO has been pretty insistent about Cahill's and Warren's roles but these are both guys trying to compete for a rotation slot. It's going to be fun to watch.

2) Albert Almora. This kid finished very strong in 2015 and will be an interesting follow this year, probably mostly in AAA. It will be interesting to see if some his improvement translates to a solid spring with the big club and how long he sticks before being assigned to minor league camp. Could be a big development year for him.

3) Carl Edwards Jr. has been, at least for now, relegated to a bullpen role full time. It's going to be difficult for him to secure a spot in the pen this spring but it bears watching whether he can improve both control and command of his pitches. His stuff is electric and he could be a very effective late inning guy at some point. I expect him to pitch mainly in AAA this year but he could be called on some point.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I want to see Edwards up with the Club. Also, I have a hunch that Warren will be in the starting rotation at some point this season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm interested for the first time in a long time in the Cub's pitching staff. They have so many pitchers that have a legit shot at coming north...it would take a terrible run of bad luck not to be able to piece together a strong staff. Maddon will also get to play mad scientist with all the seemingly interchangeable parts he has with the position players.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I want to see Edwards up with the Club. Also, I have a hunch that Warren will be in the starting rotation at some point this season.

Strongly doubt he will be. You'd have to expose someone like Ramirez to waivers. Besides, think it's probably better for his development to get starts in AAA rather than maybe 50-70 innings out of the bullpen next year

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Strongly doubt he will be. You'd have to expose someone like Ramirez to waivers. Besides, think it's probably better for his development to get starts in AAA rather than maybe 50-70 innings out of the bullpen next year

I'd be really surprised if Ramirez makes the team himself. I'm thinking it's going to be Rondon, Strop, Grimm, Cahill, Richards, Brothers, Wood & Warren.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd be really surprised if Ramirez makes the team himself. I'm thinking it's going to be Rondon, Strop, Grimm, Cahill, Richards, Brothers, Wood & Warren.

Well sure I mean either way Edwards is going to probably be more valuable getting innings stretched out in case a starter goes down.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

So you're going only four bench guys (Coghlan, Baez, LaStella, Ross) then?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

you and me both buddy. 2.7 WAR pitcher from the AL east making the move to the NL....I think hes going to surprise some people

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Man, I just don't see how Richards makes this team. He was strictly a stop-gap last year. I never felt comfortable watching him and was always amazed when he got out of an inning unscathed. The only real thing he has going for himself is that he's lefthanded but now they have Brothers and Wood in the pen....I feel the only way in for him is by injury.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Matt murton is back!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I know Soler was on fire last Spring Training. I want to see defensive improvement. He's the 15th best RF in MLB according to these guys on CBS-

Soler was a bit of a disappointment last season, hitting .262/.324/.399 with 18 doubles and 10 homers in 101 games. Of course, he was only 23 and we saw his immense potential in the playoffs, when he hit .474/.600/1.105 with three doubles, three homers and five RBI in 25 plate appearances. Injuries have been a big issue throughout his pro career, but the upside here is big.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ht-fielders-in-major-league-baseball-for-2016
When those stats hit you, especially the ones in the playoffs, if this kid can be relatively healthy this season and take better routes on balls, Soler is going to show us all why signing Heyward and putting him in CF was worth it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Soler didn't disappoint me at all when he came back from his injury. He looked like a new man...not giving in to the off the plate stuff and taking walks as nice bonus. He was really impressive in the post season as well. What he lacks defensively can be corrected...its certainly not for lack of physical skills. I love the fact that he gives them a big arm in right along with Heyward's in center.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Matt murton is back!

Dude was rakeing in Japan. Broke Ichiro's record. Then broke 1000 hits as the 5th fastest ever.

I believe he will have a very hard time breaking into the OF but I would take him as a RH bat on the bench that can just flat out hit.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Me too. I think Warren is the "sleeper" of the off-season.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Man, I just don't see how Richards makes this team. He was strictly a stop-gap last year. I never felt comfortable watching him and was always amazed when he got out of an inning unscathed. The only real thing he has going for himself is that he's lefthanded but now they have Brothers and Wood in the pen....I feel the only way in for him is by injury.

Depends how Joe wants to go with the bullpen. I could see Richard because he's a multi-inning mopup guy who can also be situational. If the Cubs go full swing guy (i.e they don't want Hammel/Hendricks getting more than like 20 guys), they really don't need many late inning arms like a Brothers (a more LOGGY than full inning reliever).

Rondon obviously closes, Grimm/Strop are your primary setup guys, Warren/Cahill/Wood are your secondary set-up guys who also give you four-six outs as needed. Richard is the guy who mops up or acts a swing guy.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Furthermore on Adam Warren, any guy who goes 6-6 in 17 starts for the Yankees (AL), and posts a 3.69 ERA, surely has to be a guy considered for the rotation.

Pitchers can transition from AL to NL, and sometimes figure to drop the ERA nearly a half a point. That would put him roughly above a 3.20, and he may be better than that.

Like I said..........Sleeper of the off-season. :smug2:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Furthermore on Adam Warren, any guy who goes 6-6 in 17 starts for the Yankees (AL), and posts a 3.69 ERA, surely has to be a guy considered for the rotation.

Pitchers can transition from AL to NL, and sometimes figure to drop the ERA nearly a half a point. That would put him roughly above a 3.20, and he may be better than that.

Like I said..........Sleeper of the off-season. :smug2:

Eh, his stuff isn't that good. He is valuable in his swing man role. I would say Hammel's has better stuff then Warren. He may compete for a spot, but unless the Cubs unlock a magical pitch for him. I doubt he goes straight into the rotation.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Eh, his stuff isn't that good. He is valuable in his swing man role. I would say Hammel's has better stuff then Warren. He may compete for a spot, but unless the Cubs unlock a magical pitch for him. I doubt he goes straight into the rotation.
I'd like to see you take some swings against Warren.