1st coach...

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the context is what is missing. Kubiak was Elway's backup, then QB coach. And they were in the super bowl together. I believe if they simply meant a former player coaching the team and winning that would mean Ditka did it first. But I'm sure they meant as a player and coach to win the super bowl.

However, if we don't stipulate whether it's as head coach or not Ditka still comes to mind as a Dallas cowboy.

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
I think the context is what is missing. Kubiak was Elway's backup, then QB coach. And they were in the super bowl together. I believe if they simply meant a former player coaching the team and winning that would mean Ditka did it first. But I'm sure they meant as a player and coach to win the super bowl.

However, if we don't stipulate whether it's as head coach or not Ditka still comes to mind as a Dallas cowboy.
Could be, People in the article I linked are saying the same thing that he is not the first.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/7/10933020/gary-kubiak-former-player-super-bowl-winning-coach

This is directly from said article
Gary Kubiak made history on Sunday, becoming the first head coach to win a Super Bowl for the same team he used to played for.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Bears have 1 ring, how could they have a guy win one as a coach and player? Get with the program boys

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Tom Flores played for the Raiders and won the SB as the Raiders' head coach. Nantz never said won the SB as a player and coach...

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
OK I did some research Ditka and Tom Flores are the only coaches to win SB's as players, assistant coaches and head coaches. As a player Flores won a SB with the Chiefs and Ditka with the Cowboys. Kubiak never won one . As Assistant coaches Ditka won with Dallas, Flores with the Raiders and Kubiak with SF and Denver. And as HC Ditka with the Bears, Flores with the Raiders, and now Kubiak with Denver.

So all three played for the same teams that they won a SB as a head coach and none of them won a SB as a player on those teams. Unless you count the Bears championship in 63 when Ditka was playing.

Edited to fix some mistakes. It should be good now

Toast88

Liked Posts:
OK I did some research Kubiak, Ditka and Tom Flores are the only coaches to win SB's as players, assistant coaches and head coaches. As a player Flores won a SB with the Chiefs and Ditka with the Cowboys. Kubiak with Denver. As Assistant coaches Ditka won with Dallas, Flores with the Raiders and Kubiak with SF and Denver. And as HC Ditka with the Bears, Flores with the Raiders, and now Kubiak with Denver.

So Kubiak is the first to win SBs with the same team as both a player and HC. But not the first to win as HC for a team he played for. Since Ditka and Flores both played for the same teams they won SBs with as HCs but did not win SBs on those teams as players.

No. Kubiak never won as a player.

Plus, Ditka won a championship with the Bears as player and coach, albeit the player part was before the Super Bowl existed.

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
No. Kubiak never won as a player.

Plus, Ditka won a championship with the Bears as player and coach, albeit the player part was before the Super Bowl existed.
Of course in 63 but it wasn't a SB.

mecha

Liked Posts:
in his first year.

end the thread.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Wrong because Nantz never said anything about in his first year period. Even if that is what he meant he didn't say that.

then Goodell did and I didn't notice. I don't respect anything that dickclown has to say anyway. maybe it was said somewhere in the graphic on the screen.

sue me.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Nantz said that Kubiak was the first head coach to win a superbowl for a team he played for... What about Da Coach?!?!?

I heard that...and he kept repeating it...The man is a fool

Rise

Liked Posts:
Just watched it again on Youtube and Nantz clearly said the first coach in history to win a SB with the team he played for. Nothing about winning it in his first year as HC. Which is the same way he said it multiple times during the actual game.

I stand corrected then, I was drunk so my bad. The announcer didn't remember 1985, nobody does but us on a consistent basis. Still sad that a guy who gets paid to cover football would say that so I get it.

Rise

Liked Posts:
That's how he said it during the trophy ceremony?

This is the only time I noticed it being said and I could have sworn he clarified first year. Others say I'm wrong though so I believe them. I do not care enough about this meaningless stat to watch that boring game again. Nor do I care enough about ditka to really care if they snubbed him on this one.